Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

The Cael Award

1st criterion might be something like……character

Another criterion = perseverance

After that ? I am thinking about the many contributions that the professor has made to our sport.

Not sure how this may be worded……the professor has practically transformed the ankle pic……

into household words. That is to say, within our wrestling community. 

Undefeated for 3 or 4 years of college wrestling ? Well, how do we incorporate that  into an award ?

I am guessing that we will never be able to mess with that , as a part of the overall criteria.

More tooo shall be revealed.

Should it include getting your former Head Coach fired so you can take his job, but then leaving a few years later to go to another school because it is in the mecca for High School wrestling?

Hard to believe you could be a bigger douche.  Where is that Block button? 

NM - found it.  

Edited by TFBJR

Should it include getting your former Head Coach fired so you can take his job, but then leaving a few years later to go to another school because it is in the mecca for High School wrestling?

Ummm………………..what

Douglas wasn't fired by Iowa State. In fact, he was still on the payroll in FY 2012, long after Sanderson had left for Penn State. Below is some of the pertinent data from the period when their employment at Iowa State overlapped.  (You may note that Douglas even had the higher salary during the first two years of Sanderson's tenure as head coach.)

Bobby Douglas (Contract Associate)

FY 2006: $140,369.41

FY 2007: $144,996.14

FY 2008: $80,000.04

FY 2009: $80,000.00

FY 2010: $78,275.00

FY 2011: $80,000.04

FY 2012: $80,000.04

Cael Sanderson (Head Coach)

FY 2006: $98,277.21

FY 2007: $137,000.04

FY 2008: $132,500.04

FY 2009: $111,489.10

For more detailed information, go to: http://db.desmoinesregister.com/state-salaries-for-iowa/

Why would Carl have an award named after him before Gable does? Or Gallagher for that matter?

Both Gable and Gallagher have awards named after them. Andrew Long won the "Dan Gable Most Outstanding

Wrestler Award" at Midlands. And Hardell Moore was recently named the recipient of the 2016 Gallagher

Award.

Say it isn't so! I did not know that. I was fishing for some humorous responses maybe drawing some parallels to the national duals debate or curtaingate.

Sorry, yes, all true.

I'm not sure which of the hosts said it, but it was during their interview with Nico Megaludis: “We’re trying to get a career award, the Cael Sanderson Award. The Hodge is for the single season. We need the Cael for the career."