Sign in to follow this  
altv

Behind the scenes - ESPN at the Garde

Want to know more about how the network and internet broadcasts are created by ESPN?  The link below will take you to an article that appeared on the Sports Video Group web site.  There's a lot of inside baseball, arcane information, but you can get a bit of an idea of the size of the show.

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/03/18/ncaa-wrestling-championships-a-multiscreen-marvel-from-espn/

Good find, ALTV!

I thought this sums it up: “You get a lot of people involved who have a connection to the game that love to see it on the big stage like this,” says Vassallo. “You want to be very attuned to what the wrestling fan wants, but, when you are on the main linear network, you want it to be accessible to the casual fan. That’s a challenge, especially when there’s not a lot of it on.”

Right there, the dilemma - how do you cater to both the die-hard fans and the casual fans? ESPN at least recognizes the challenge, and, I would say, does a pretty good job of meeting it.

Edited by redblades

very interesting read....thanks for posting  That crew doesn't have an easy job, that's for sure.  My only hope is that next year the sound techs guys find a way to filter out the phrase "hasta lasagna, don't get any on ya!!" from the matside announcer feed on Mat 1.

Edited by gromit