Sign in to follow this  
FreezeWrestling

Chance Marstellar

Earlier in the year, a poster on here mentioned that Chance's giant fire-hydrant legs were a burden on him making weight and possibly on his conditioning. Normally, I would slightly discount the notion that you could be too strong or muscular, unless it's effecting your flexibility, but in this case I think they might be right.  He is a superb wrestling technician already, maybe he should train for a marathon this summer and stay out of the wrestling and weight rooms for a bit.

Earlier in the year, a poster on here mentioned that Chance's giant fire-hydrant legs were a burden on him making weight and possibly on his conditioning. Normally, I would slightly discount the notion that you could be too strong or muscular, unless it's effecting your flexibility, but in this case I think they might be right.  He is a superb wrestling technician already, maybe he should train for a marathon this summer and stay out of the wrestling and weight rooms for a bit.

Many guys are short and thick for their weight class and make it work.  It is the greatest thing about wrestling that you can apportion your allotted pounds in any way you and nature come up with, and then it is up to you to turn that body type into an advantage (tall and long, short and squat, or even a missing leg and a 157 lb body in the 125 lb weight class).  

If Chance is failing to make weight at a lower weight but failing to compete physically at a higher weight, it is on him to learn to deal with the leverage at 165/174 or learn to get in the right kind of shape to wrestle 157.  Shedding some muscle mass to be more comfortable at 157 is one option.  Plus the marathon training could help him with his biggest issue (little to no gas tank in any weight class).  

Well, you ended up at 157. At 5-5, you were a bit more effective at 141.

Haha, that's a fair point, Jason.  I was much less effective in physics lab at 141# though, and I'm sure you remember my close friend who was an animal at 149# for us.  It probably would have helped if I was as jacked as Chance, since I never weighed more than 155lbs lol

I've seen all I needed to see to tell me he'll be at okie state in the fall between what his Twitter shows me and the fact that he had a Titan mercury singlet on and Schaefer and Morrison were in his corner that's all I need to know

I thought the same thing - if he was leaving, he wouldn't have the TMWC singlet on and he wouldn't be there with some of the OSU guys (who were coaching him).

Sheets isn't someone that should challenge Chance.

Look at where CM has struggled the last two years, do you really think he can get out of the bottom position from Sheets?  Sheets is a beast on top and wait till he has some college training and experience.  

Go neutral?

and so WS chooses top, rides for 2 minutes (perhaps gets 1 for stalling, perhaps back points) but lets say its only 1-0.  How does CM win?  For reference take a look at the AD v Lewis match (CM is no AD), believe AD got 2 td in 1st and Lewis 2 escapes, so 4-2 going into 2nd.  AD chooses down 2 min of riding time for Lewis (now 4-3).  3rd period, Lewis chooses top and 2 more minutes of riding time.  There could've been a stalling point sending it into SV and even though AD looked a little off, pretty certain he would've won it in SV not needing TBs, 

If you can't get off bottom you put yourself at a severe disadvantage in college.  

It was tree trunk legs and I said if he had 5 pounds less lower body weight it might have been easier for him to make the cut to 157. There is just a point the body cannot go past and to me he looked like he passed it. Unfortunately somebody took it as a comment about being too strong or some such nonsense instead of what I really was saying. 

I like Daniel Lewis a lot but look what happened when him and dieringer wrestled at ncaas. He was dominated from neutral and dieringer went neutral on his choice. He was a totally different wrestler after having more than an hour to rehydrate/eat. Chance looked much better on his feet than sheets this weekend.

It was tree trunk legs and I said if he had 5 pounds less lower body weight it might have been easier for him to make the cut to 157. There is just a point the body cannot go past and to me he looked like he passed it. Unfortunately somebody took it as a comment about being too strong or some such nonsense instead of what I really was saying. 

Well, taking 5 pounds of muscle off your lower body would definitely make you less strong, since strength in proportional to cross-sectional area.  I take your point, and think you were/are right, though.  There is no reason that his lower body needs to be as strong/big as it is for wrestling success, and it seems to be detrimental to his weight making/conditioning.

i do not believe it is rocket science

Yes, the human body is many orders of magnitude more complicated than the most advanced rocket propulsion systems. 

Well, David Curby, father of USA Greco team member Jacob Curby (Rest in Peace), runs the International network or wrestling researchers if anyone would like to check it out their page is here: http://inwr-wrestling.com/

the human body yes, but, i would argue that wrestling conditioning not so much... people been doing that **** since long before those pesky horseless carriages were introduced...

If this were truly the case then everybody would be conditioned exactly the same using exactly the same techniques but we know this is not the case so by simple observation your statement cannot be correct. 

Why is it for example some people can run extremely long distances yet cannot wrestle hard for 3 minutes but others can run very little and wrestle for much longer?