Sign in to follow this  
FreezeWrestling

Chance Marstellar

I like Daniel Lewis a lot but look what happened when him and dieringer wrestled at ncaas. He was dominated from neutral and dieringer went neutral on his choice. He was a totally different wrestler after having more than an hour to rehydrate/eat. Chance looked much better on his feet than sheets this weekend.

Fully expected that result at NCAAs, as said AD looked a little off in the first match, but more importantly CM is no AD.  It's what I see as the area he has to improve on else average wrestlers may be able to shut him down (ex see last 2 yrs). Didn't know CM & WS wrestled folkstyle last weekend, how did they do? 

If this were truly the case then everybody would be conditioned exactly the same using exactly the same techniques but we know this is not the case so by simple observation your statement cannot be correct. 

Why is it for example some people can run extremely long distances yet cannot wrestle hard for 3 minutes but others can run very little and wrestle for much longer?

i know for a fact you are smarter than this...

the hardest thing about conditioning is the commitment to do it... 

obviously, the conditioning requirements are different between disciplines... doesn't make any of it tough to understand or learn...

again, the commitment is the hard part... and it is easy to tell who has made it and who has not...

LJB,

Really?  I wouldn't question people's intelligence in this matter.  It has been proven that many people have a considerably different threshold for VO2.

Here are the opening 2 paragraphs for a well reviewed(Applied Fitness Solutions) endurance training management company in my area:

The science of training endurance athletes is evolving at a rapid rate. Metabolic, physiological, and biomechanical demands of running long distances are becoming better understood. Applied Fitness Solutions uses the latest scientific research to construct the most advanced marathon/half-marathon preparatory protocol designed to assist you in crossing the finish line as quickly as possible.
Testing for Success
The basis or your preparatory program will be a series of performance assessments administered by your AFS certified Strength & Conditioning Coach. Typical assessments may include; VO2 Max Estimation, Lactate Threshold Testing, Gait Analysis, Movement/Flexibility Screens, Strength, Endurance, and Power Testing. These assessments will allow your AFS certified Strength Coach to determine physiological deficits which could prevent you from achieving your goal time or lead to injury.

They let you know UP FRONT what your physical make-up allows and how best to maximize your abilities.  Still, they acknowledge everyone has DIFFERENT maximum abilities.  Someone can actually be MORE committed than another and still have LESSER results.

i am not arguing the capabilities of different people... i am saying that conditioning is not complicated... and it isn't

i am also saying that Marstellar looked tired wrestling at 157 after a 1 hour weigh in and he looked equally as tired this weekend wrestling after weighing in at 75.5kg (a full 10lbs heavier) a day before... seems pretty clear that the weight is not marstellar's primary issue

Edited by LJB

He didn't look similarly tired. Clearly he was not in peak shape, but that's because he had not been training. He quit the sport for a while and this is his first outing back. He wasn't dead tried after 30 seconds of wrestling though, like he was at 157. He actually looked pretty good against Valencia.

Conditioning can actually be VERY complicated because of the capabilities of different people.  You can't train each person in the same way and that inevitably makes it complicated.  An airdyne bike works great for some(for me it was almost a waste of time).  Running works great for some(best for me).  Actual wrestling works great for some.  Weight training works great for some.  Medicine balls work great for some.  Calisthenics work great for some. Etc.  Combining them all works great for some, but for others they counteract.

Finding the balance IS complicated and that doesn't even consider overtraining or nutrition deficiencies.  Conditioning isn't like pounding a brick wall with a sledge hammer until it falls.  Many used to think it was, because that line of thinking worked for the majority.  Keep working hard and you will eventually break through was the philosophy and as a result, many automatically think that lack of hard work causes the problem.  That is far from always being the case.

I am nowhere near close enough to Marstellar to have a clue what is causing his issue, but you can't simply say it is due to not being committed.

he looked good against valencia for the first 30 seconds... not so much afterwards... his 3rd place match he was gassed as well...

he didn't "quit" the sport... he was suspended from his team that he clearly was not doing the correct things to be allowed the priviledge to compete with, but, it is my understanding he was still allowed in the room... 

either way, conditioning is primarily a commitment and clearly he isn't making it...

Marstellar looked tired wrestling at 157 after a 1 hour weigh in and he looked equally as tired this weekend wrestling after weighing in at 75.5kg (a full 10lbs heavier) a day before

This is just wrong, so it makes the rest of your points hard to accept.

he looked good against valencia for the first 30 seconds... not so much afterwards... his 3rd place match he was gassed as well...

he didn't "quit" the sport... he was suspended from his team that he clearly was not doing the correct things to be allowed the priviledge to compete with, but, it is my understanding he was still allowed in the room...

either way, conditioning is primarily a commitment and clearly he isn't making it...

I thought he looked pretty good the entire match considering the was not actively training for a while. He sure as hell looked better than at 157 where he was gassing after shaking hands to start the match. I don't really care whether he quit, was dismissed, or was abducted by aliens. The point is he was not training with competition in mind. He quit the sport per his own public admission, which means he wasn't training seriously, if training at all, for a while.

Conditioning can actually be VERY complicated because of the capabilities of different people.  You can't train each person in the same way and that inevitably makes it complicated.  An airdyne bike works great for some(for me it was almost a waste of time).  Running works great for some(best for me).  Actual wrestling works great for some.  Weight training works great for some.  Medicine balls work great for some.  Calisthenics work great for some. Etc.  Combining them all works great for some, but for others they counteract.

Finding the balance IS complicated and that doesn't even consider overtraining or nutrition deficiencies.  Conditioning isn't like pounding a brick wall with a sledge hammer until it falls.  Many used to think it was, because that line of thinking worked for the majority.  Keep working hard and you will eventually break through was the philosophy and as a result, many automatically think that lack of hard work causes the problem.  That is far from always being the case.

I am nowhere near close enough to Marstellar to have a clue what is causing his issue, but you can't simply say it is due to not being committed.

conditioning is complicated if you take a room full of 6 year olds and then try to figure out what is going to be the ideal way for them to train to make a D1 program 15 years in the future...

marstellar should know what works for him by now... if he doesn't, that goes back to commitment don't you think?

he agrees to make 57 for his very esteemed D1 team run by arguably the greatest wrestling mind this country has ever produced and fails to make it properly, then that is on him and more than likely goes back to his commitment don't you think?

he then shows up at last chance with all the aforementioned differences and he still shows up not able to wrestle a full match... goes back to his commitment don't you think?

clearly, the weight is not the biggest piece of this puzzle... 

I thought he looked pretty good the entire match considering the was not actively training for a while. He sure as hell looked better than at 157 where he was gassing after shaking hands to start the match. I don't really care whether he quit, was dismissed, or was abducted by aliens. The point is he was not training with competition in mind. He quit the sport per his own public admission, which means he wasn't training seriously, if training at all, for a while.

you are making an assumption... what we saw was at last chance was a clearly outsized marstellar getting tired before the first period was over... we saw that in every match...

i know for a fact you are smarter than this...

the hardest thing about conditioning is the commitment to do it... 

obviously, the conditioning requirements are different between disciplines... doesn't make any of it tough to understand or learn...

again, the commitment is the hard part... and it is easy to tell who has made it and who has not...

How did this become a discussion about "the hardest thing" about conditioning?

The question is if you and I make equal commitments to conditioning, will we be equally conditioned?

And the answer is of course not.

i would never argue that, but, we are not talking about you and i...

we are talking about 1 dude that was tired at 157 and tired at 167...

yep, definitely rocket science here, fellas 

Edited by LJB

How hard does anyone believe Marsteller trained for this event?  With what sparring partners?  Cutting too much and being spent and not training and being gassed often don't look very different.  I think 5 wins (4 by tech) is pretty damn impressive.  He'd be a solid 165 pounder if he can land in the right situation.

Edited by Coach_J

Trying to remember the last time that a wrestler that has never been an NCAA Qualifier got this much Forum discussion ? I understand his "potential" and all but ......

Hope the kid finds his way, but there are in the neighborhood of 250 returning NCAA Qualifiers to discuss. Just saying.

Best of luck to Chance.

Trying to remember the last time that a wrestler that has never been an NCAA Qualifier got this much Forum discussion ? I understand his "potential" and all but ......

Hope the kid finds his way, but there are in the neighborhood of 250 returning NCAA Qualifiers to discuss. Just saying.

Best of luck to Chance.

Nobody is stopping you from talking about those dudes and nobody is making you read this thread.

Pjm -

That is correct. Great smart a_s response.

Post another 200 comments about a guy who will likely never AA.

Really have nothing against Chance, really. I just wondered who else with no D1 accomplishments had this many followers. Maybe his High School dominance and the fans/following that created ?

Btw, last time I checked, I dont need your approval to make an observation on a Wrestling Forum.

You carry on, I will ignore this thread going forward.

Edited by Show_Me

You guys should get off his case. Who knows if his legs are burnt from sweating off that last bit or ?? Ever go into the most important tournament of your life with dead legs?  Its a great way to not qualify for the next big thing, that I can tell you.

Not everyone gets the gas tank when born. You can only do so much with a 3.5 liter capacity without hitting the wall. You run into a great leg rider and it takes everything you ever possessed to get out in case he gets the boots in.

And so, maybe a guy learns to pace himself just a skotch. Or at least dance well. But, be first off that whistle for sure.

If this young man needs a re-set, so be it. He's only accomplished everything an 18 year old could have by the time he graduated. Grant him some grace, whydon'tcha?