For those of you that follow International closer than me, how do you handicap this weight ?

Obviously some exceptional wrestlers here.

Any chance that Cox can make some noise here ? Or is his Freestyle experience too limited compared to his competition ?

He will not be undersized.

Comments/opinions appreciated.

Edited by Show_Me

internationally, it is sadulaev and everyone else...

domestically, it is up in the air... long story short... any medal in rio would take a herculean effort...

herbert is the current representative... he looked bad at worlds, but, wrestled well in frisco last month... just came up against salas... that dude has herbert's number

Ruth dies not appear motivated...

Dake and Taylor ran from 74 trying to make the team... Taylor is better prospect physically, but, dake could be rolled on to the mat in a wheel chair and still beat Taylor... both are adjusting to the weight... i am hoping Dake has his cardio back... at the US Open he was sucking wind in every match, but, still performed...

Gavin probably too long in the tooth...

Cox is very interesting... he will be rather large and could potentially cause some people some problems, but, i think the above will all be a little too savvy for him... but, it is going to be fun to watch...

i think our only chance for a medal in Rio is Herbert, but, would not be shocked if he is not our rep... dake could put it to all of them...

of course, this is all moot if we do not get the weight qualified...

I think Dake is our best shot to medal, though a very long shot. Truth be told I'm a fan of Taylor, but to give credit where credit is due, Dake is just flat great. Dates ability to scramble and capitalike on mistake is incredible. He is Dangerous enough to take one person's mistake and scramble his way to a flurry of points. I wouldn't bet on him placing l, but he is probably the only one in the US that could pull it off.

Dake is the best wrestler at the weight. He has proven that.

Herbert is interesting because he has medaled before, albeit a long time ago when he was at his physical peak and the weight was much softer than it is now. However, coming off a sustained period of inactivity and still nursing an injury, I think he will not make the team.

I begrudgingly agree with doubleleg: I see Dake as our best shot despite his small size. He has the technical skills and the athleticism to give anyone a run on his best day. The only other guy I can honestly say that about is Ed Ruth, but he appears totally checked out at this point and I cannot bet on a guy whose heart is no longer in it.

I say begrudgingly because I wish Dake were 15 lbs heavier. His smallness is a serious liability at the elite world level, especially against the monstrous Russians who could easily wrestle Snyder's weight and do extremely well.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I am going with Cox. The math equation tells me Cox over Dake by several takedowns. The guy wrestles Snyder to near stalemates. So 7 extra lbs is going to make him weaker?

Have you ever seen Cox wrestle? There is no elite guy he takes down many times. He beats guys like McIntosh by a single TD. He is not taking Dake down several times, if even once. How many times has Dake been taken down in the last few years by an American other than JB?

Like I said we will see. MM shutdown on Cox IMO. If MM wrestles then we would have seen a several takedown match by Cox. Cox will be around 198 at match time. I have no idea how that match will go but I just can't imagine Dake or Taylor beating him.  

Have you ever seen Cox wrestle? There is no elite guy he takes down many times. He beats guys like McIntosh by a single TD. He is not taking Dake down several times, if even once. How many times has Dake been taken down in the last few years by an American other than JB?

People consistently doubt Dake on these message boards comments like "Cox over Dake by several takedowns" sounds alot like Taylor over Dake a few years ago. Get real guys. He's our best shot and the only thing we can do is accept it.

I think Cox is a threat against anyone.  He has the size that most in this weight lack, and he combines lateral movement and great position in neutral in a way that makes it hard to get angles on him.  And if you can't get angles and you have to attack him straight on, good luck.  So I could see him beating anyone mentioned.  But I think he has almost no chance of winning 4 high level freestyle matches in a row against wildly different opponents.  

Cox is an incredibly gifted wrestler. If he dedicated himself to freestyle I see him being our rep going forward.

I'm not so sure he can pull it off this year though. How much freestyle training has he been doing? Is his takedown game so strong that he can make the team by basically only training folk for the last while?

People consistently doubt Dake on these message boards comments like "Cox over Dake by several takedowns" sounds alot like Taylor over Dake a few years ago. Get real guys. He's our best shot and the only thing we can do is accept it.

I agree except he's tiny and sooner or later someone with a big size advantage will figure out how to take him down repeatedly.  Almost everyone has a kryptonite.  For Dake, is it Cox?  We'll see.  

I think Cox is a threat against anyone.  He has the size that most in this weight lack, and he combines lateral movement and great position in neutral in a way that makes it hard to get angles on him.  And if you can't get angles and you have to attack him straight on, good luck.  So I could see him beating anyone mentioned.  But I think he has almost no chance of winning 4 high level freestyle matches in a row against wildly different opponents.  

Completely agree.  Cox is the most intriguing guy in the weight IMO, but the chances of him running through the full bracket are slim. He has the balance and athleticism to go toe-to-toe with Dake, but with more size. Not saying I would pick him, but I think that's an interesting matchup.  

On the other hand, if he runs up against Taylor I think he could get picked apart and potentially teched.

Yeah, along the same lines, and of some interest, Taylor teched Richard Perry at the national qualifiers in December, then Perry wins a silver medal at the Medved where Dake didn't place. Matter of fact, Perry beat the guy (9-6) that beat Dake (9-1) at Medved. 

Looks like Herbert will be seeded # 1 since he's the returning World team member. For fun though, I'd love to see Dake seeded # 1, and Taylor # 2, to have Herbert go through both if he can, and to also set up another possible Dake - Taylor final. 

But whatever happens with the above, and Cox, and the rest of the 86ers, this will be yet another electric weight class at Trials. And I'm guessing the winner will travel overseas to qualify the weight?

This is a great thread. 86kg is in transition. Cox is its future. As of now it's not even close. Whether he wins or not this year, I can't say, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

I watched Cox this year at the NCAAs and the guy can move. He didn't get a lot of takedowns on MM but at NCAAs he two matches by pin (including pinning Pfarr from Minn), one by MD (15-4), one shutout (6-0) and beat MM (4-2) in the finals. Did he give up a takedown? In fact, Cox had only one loss this year and it was an illegal slam.

Here's what's amazing. In his college career so far, Cox never redshirted and is a 3x AA, a 2x NCAA champ. He has only lost five times and one was the illegal slam this year. Here are the other losses: one was to McIntosh in his sophomore year, which he avenged in this year's finals and plus he beat him 2x in his freshman year,; another was to Kyle Snyder in last year's NCAA semifinals (he lost 2-3), one was to Kyven Gadsen in SV (1-3) who he then out-placed in that year's NCAAs (Cox won, Gadsen took fourth), and lastly there was his first college loss, falling 4-6 to Pat Wellington of Ohio in December of his true freshman year. The sky is the limit with this guy.