Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Yianni Diakomihalis: The best recruit in all of HS wrestling?

Guest Kingsland

I think Yianni is still growing, and I don't think Spencer will ever be bigger than 125. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Guest Kingsland

They'd bump either Macri or Chaz Tucker out of the line up but that's a good problem to have.

Mark Hall is the best recruit based on the size and depth of people he's beaten in his HS career. He has beaten Nolf, JoJo Smith, Myles Martin, Isaiah Martinez, Anthony Valencia, Chance Marstellar. Yianni is amazing, but Hall is another level.

Add in Tim Dudley (NCAA 2nd), and an entire set of NCAA qualifiers / AA's in many different weight classes, and yes, Mark Hall is on a different level.  It will be interesting to see how he fares a full season against men, instead of against the boys (but then again, he was beating some of these guys when he was a freshman in HS... so...)

I didn't know 133- Courtney (PA) was going to Cornell, but it just shows you how tough PA is.  Today a kid who has been 7th, NP NP in PA States beat him today and it was not a fluke.  The kid just took it to him a week after he hammered everyone at Flo Nationals.

The depth in PA was amazing.

The coolest thing, after the match, Courtney just tapped him on the back, shook his head, and said, Yup... they both walked off.  Very classy.

Guest Kingsland

Did Pletcher beat Yianni this year? Both are good recruits. So is Chad Red.

Pletcher beat Yianni at Who's number 1 before losing to Red (who beat Lamont) in the finals

Add in Tim Dudley (NCAA 2nd), and an entire set of NC.AA qualifiers / AA's in many different weight classes, and yes, Mark Hall is on a different level.  It will be interesting to see how he fares a full season against men, instead of against the boys (but then again, he was beating some of these guys when he was a freshman in HS... so...)

Wow, I didn't know about that match, but looked it up and sure enough Hall beat Dudley in the 2014 Junior World Team Trials, and he beat him rather handily, 12-1 TF. Interesting thing about that tournament for Hall is that he wrestled 84KG. This is also the same tournament where Hall lost to Nickal

I didn't know 133- Courtney (PA) was going to Cornell, but it just shows you how tough PA is.  Today a kid who has been 7th, NP NP in PA States beat him today and it was not a fluke.  The kid just took it to him a week after he hammered everyone at Flo Nationals.

The coolest thing, after the match, Courtney just tapped him on the back, shook his head, and said, Yup... they both walked off.  Very classy.

I googled it and couldn't find anything on that commitment either. Anyone have a source? I'm wondering where I missed it.

Mark Hall and Yianni are in totally different recruiting classes. I really like watching Yianni wrestle, but I don't think you can say he's a number one recruit over a guy like Spencer Lee (unless he doesn't grow anymore at all and stays at 120 flat into college, which I don't see happening). Yianni lost to Luke Pletcher in a close battle who eventually fell to Chad Red as stated above at the last WNO event.  Spencer Lee teched his way though the junior world championships on a torn labrum, had surgery, and teched his way to the PA state finals then pinned the number 4 kid in the country in under 3 minutes (and I think was close to teching him if he didn't get the fall there). I don't think there's been another high school talent quite like Lee (other than maybe Aaron Pico) before. He's above Kolat in my mind.

If I'm a college coach, I'm taking Yianni as my #1 recruit right now.  Hall and Lee are incredible, but there's something about 

Keep in mind that Courtney won Flonationals at 120 and wrestled 132 at NHSCAs and that's with a 3 lb allowance so 135.

Courtney wrestles a lot like Yianni especially when they sit the corner and go for that J Jagger's cradle as a counter.  Yianni is the master at that but Courtney's pretty darn good.

If I'm a college coach I'm taking Yianni right now as my #1 recruit.  I think in 5 years he will have the best NCAA career of the bunch.

FLO gave a 5lb allowance, so 120 was actually 125.  NHSCA giave 3lbs to 132 was 135.  I don't know why these events give so much weight.

Edited by KTI

AP, I am with you on that assessment. Yianni has a very similar look to HS-aged Dake in his athleticism (combination of explosive "pop" and flexibility) and relative physical immaturity. He is clearly still a boy and not fully developed physically. Lots of physical upside.

Spencer Lee is also similarly young-looking.

FLO gave a 5lb allowance, so 120 was actually 125.  NHSCA giave 3lbs to 132 was 135.  I don't know why these events give so much weight.

??? Because the season is over? Also in NHSCA (can't speak for Flo) you can't go below your lowest  weight for the year. We thought a 195 had entered 182 but when we checked further found he had wrestled 182 during the year.

So what is the story of what happened in Russia?

It was in the US

Yianni and a Russian each won their weight class. They and their coaches decided to have an exhibition match. Yianni wanted it because he didn't get to wrestle any Russians in his division.

Match starts, Yianni gets a takedown, scramble ensues, they score it for Yianni. Russian coaches go crazy.

Yianni and the Russian kid just want to wrestle. They go to the center. Yianni's father, in his corner, offers to side with the Russians if they can just continue wrestling. The Russians force their wrestler off the mat and don't continue only about a minute into the match.

There was a language barrier so it is very possible the Russians didn't know that They were offered the points, but either way, you never pull your wrestler out of a match because of a bad call. They acted like children.

To the Russian wrestler's credit, he clearly wanted to continue. It was his corner that was acting childish.