Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Last chance qualifier..

Has Dylan Ness been training?  He's obviously the most accomplished wrestler in the bracket.  I'm excited to watch some of the matches, but an NCAA finalist has an advantage over high school accomplishments.  Not sure how Ness' roll to your own back and reach back trick will work in freestyle, but he's also a dangerous thrower.  Can he stop Valencia's doubles?  

Valencia is a great freestyler.  He' manhandled Imar a year before Imar stepped it up and won NCAA's.  

It's cool to see Chance wrestling again at a high level.  

Mark Hall is phenomenal, but won his last hs match 8-4.  Really excited to see how this all pans out.  

Don't forget this is at the senior level.  

Nate Carr is on Hall's side of the bracket and Marstellar is on Valencia's side.

That sets up nicely for some great semis and a great final.  

Valenica 10- over marstellar and Hall in a tight one over Carr Jr. 

Valenica turns the tables on Hall and qualifies for the trials on the strength of several big moves.  

That sets up nicely for some great semis and a great final.  

Valenica 10- over marstellar and Hall in a tight one over Carr Jr. 

Valenica turns the tables on Hall and qualifies for the trials on the strength of several big moves.  

Seems like Valencia also wrestled Nathaniel Carr, twice. One Carr almost teched AV (and won) vs the other time  AV teched Nathaniel Carr:

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/803543-74-round-of-16-anthony-valencia-united-states-vs-nathaniel-carr-united-states

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=366SPg0Gc_g

Has Dylan Ness been training?  He's obviously the most accomplished wrestler in the bracket.  I'm excited to watch some of the matches, but an NCAA finalist has an advantage over high school accomplishments.  Not sure how Ness' roll to your own back and reach back trick will work in freestyle, but he's also a dangerous thrower.  Can he stop Valencia's doubles?  

Valencia is a great freestyler.  He' manhandled Imar a year before Imar stepped it up and won NCAA's.  

It's cool to see Chance wrestling again at a high level.  

Mark Hall is phenomenal, but won his last hs match 8-4.  Really excited to see how this all pans out.  

Don't forget this is at the senior level.  

This is also true, his last match was vs Austin Bell in the Pittsburgh Classic and he won 8-4. Bell is good but I don't think any of us think he's anywhere near Valencia's level, let alone the level of a lot of people Hall has beat. Also, as I think about it, the way Marienelli repeatedly got to Hall's legs was a bad sign. If I had one criticism of Hall it's that he relies too much on his freakish scrambling skills to get out of trouble he should never have been in in the first place. 

Up soon in the quarterfinals (which is the next round, for those not looking at Track), we have Martesllar vs Valencia. This should be fun. Hall wrestles Santiago Martinez and Dylan Ness vs Andrew Sorenson. 

Coming up even sooner, I'm interested to see Steven Micic vs Obe Blanc.

I took some notes on the Hall match. It says a lot about him, some good, some bad.

Martinez (Santiago, not Isaiah!) started off with a really nice armspin that earned him four clean points. In a scramble near the edge and another feat to back, 8-0 Martinez. Martinez attempted another armthrow and almost got there, but didn't and that's when the tide turned. 8-2 Martinez. Then...

Hall with double overhooks gets a four point throw followed by four points from two trapped arm guts. 10-8 Hall ends the first period. 

Second period: Hall duckunder to a TD. 12-8. Then four more points I didn't follow and I think the final was 16-8.

Conclusions? First of all, Hall starts off his matches too slow. He did it vs Marinelli who repeatedly got to his legs. He did it vs Austen Bell who got the first TD. In this match he did not need to give up the initial points. He almost blew it. Second, the good news if you like Hall, he has otherworldly composure. To look at him after immediately going down 8-0 and being two points from losing by TF, you'd think nothing much had happened. In that he will eventually have a few very close matches, that kind of composure will is going to be a real differentiator. 

Just watch final seconds as Nickal got teched by Steinhaus 12-1.  Last points were on a go behind that was too easy for Steinhaus. 

I watched the match. It was a complete blowout. Steinhaus shutdown all of Bo's offense and was able to repeatedly score off an underhook throw-by to a single and then easily finish. It's not clear what it was. Steinhaus is good and he's a lot bigger than Bo, but was that all there was to it?

Valencia vs Marsteller was a good match. The final score was 9-4 and Valencia in the end overwhelmed Chance, but it was competitive for most of it. Marsteller scored first and won a challenge so was up 3-0. He only got one other point, a pushout. Valencia scored off of takedowns, no turns. Valencia had two really nice sweep singles where he just kind of glided by and Marstellar's sprawl whiffed. They were sweet. If we get Hall vs Valencia, it's going to be interesting. 

Nikal and marstellar both showed that size really does matter... both got horsed and worn down by end of the match...

the hall match was another example of international style superiority... you are never out of a match, ever... free/greco reward wrestling