Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Last chance qualifier..

marstellar looked very much like he belonged at the weight class uncle john had him at...

I kind of thought the same thing. All year we heard that Chance was burdened by the incredibly difficult cut and then he looks tiny weighing in at 163 the day before. I don't get it unless it's just that Valencia is really a 174 pounder who can make 163 with day before weigh-ins. I don't think so, though.

I kind of thought the same thing. All year we heard that Chance was burdened by the incredibly difficult cut and then he looks tiny weighing in at 163 the day before. I don't get it unless it's just that Valencia is really a 174 pounder who can make 163 with day before weigh-ins. I don't think so, though.

if i had to guess, it is a little of both, but, i would qualify that bet with another bet... dollar to a donut marstellar did not do the things he really needed to make that cut succesfully...

I like Blanc first points.  Nice turn.  Perrelli gets credit --- good freestyler but never has been able to get to the very top tier.  Wonder if he's going to hang 'em up soon.  Loses 9-3 I believe.

Mitcheff has Hochstrasser leg up in air near end of period.  Doesn't even try for TD.  Walks Hoch to edge to get the one point.  Hoch doesn't want to give it up so he hops high thinking Mitcheff might step out first but instead he falls on his but and two is awarded to Mitcheff.  Bad decision by Hoch.  Gave up 2 instead of 1.  Now down 2-3.

2nd period.    Mitcheff  kicks but and finished 10-2 so first period goof didn't matter.

Taffur in on great shot but Hall works his miracles and gets the 2 instead.  CAution for fleeing the mat (?) for Taffur.  One point Hall and starts in par terre (sp?).   Hall can't get a turn.

3-0 Hall.  Another Taffur shot countered, in part with a Hall lock around Taffur's head and arm which he used to drag Taffur down to mat.  5-0.  

Single attempt, scramble.  But can tell Hall just knows his body position better.  2nd nature.  Gets the 2.  OK, I'm more than a little impressed.  I haven't really seen him much.  7-0.  Period ends.

Taffur gets deep head outside single, lifts Hall clear off mat.   But he doesn't bring Hall down well, Hall is square on his foot and is able to break free. 

Then scramble and Taffur uses his legs well to expose Hall's shoulders for a moment.  But Hall with the end control.  No points for Hall?   Another scramble and Hall gets the 2.  9-2.  

Hall in but Taffur breaks his hand lock and gets a go behind TD.  9-4.  1:12 to go.  

Hall in, Taffur works chest wrap, doesn't get it ...... but then does.  Then Hall gets behind.  10-6.    Taffur in but Hall grabs ankle and then both ankles.  Stalemate.    Ends 10-6.

Edited by nom

Taffur in on great shot but Hall works his miracles and gets the 2 instead.  CAution for fleeing the mat (?) for Taffur.  One point Hall and starts in par terre (sp?).   Hall can't get a turn.

3-0 Hall.  Another Taffur shot countered, in part with a Hall lock around Taffur's head and arm which he used to drag Taffur down to mat.  5-0.  

Single attempt, scramble.  But can tell Hall just knows his body position better.  2nd nature.  Gets the 2.  OK, I'm more than a little impressed.  I haven't really seen him much.  7-0.  Period ends.

Taffur gets deep head outside single, lifts Hall clear off mat.   But he doesn't bring Hall down well, Hall is square on his foot and is able to break free. 

Then scramble and Taffur uses his legs well to expose Hall's shoulders for a moment.  But Hall with the end control.  No points for Hall?   Another scramble and Hall gets the 2.  9-2.  

Hall in but Taffur breaks his hand lock and gets a go behind TD.  9-4.  1:12 to go.  

Hall in, Taffur works chest wrap, doesn't get it ...... but then does.  Then Hall gets behind.  10-6.    Taffur in but Hall grabs ankle and then both ankles.  Stalemate.    Ends 10-6.

Nice color, nom. For those of us who want to believe Hall is invincible, this is sobering. Taffur is a solid competitor and Hall won, but he gave up a lot of points that make him seem vulnerable. I like him and want him to be the guy, but I'm worried vs Valencia. Thoughts?

Nice color, nom. For those of us who want to believe Hall is invincible, this is sobering. Taffur is a solid competitor and Hall won, but he gave up a lot of points that make him seem vulnerable. I like him and want him to be the guy, but I'm worried vs Valencia. Thoughts?

Just have a feeling Valencia will destroy Hall, but of course I can be wrong.

Agreed BigTimeFan... Hall hasn't seen this level of direct competition for about 4-6 months, given his quest to win his 6th MN state title.  The kids there are good from a state perspective, but it's not elite competition that he's been banging with recently.  I want Hall to be the guy, and think he will be in the longer run, however, I see Valencia taking this one today.  Fast forward 6 months, Hall takes it, and is top 4 at 74kg in the country.

BigTime -- I wish I had more exposure to both guys.  I don't know enough to provide an informed opinion.  But I'm excited about it.  I do recall Valencia giving Howe a scare a while back.  He's got skills.  A blast double, which he has, seems like a good option vs Hall.  His single leg defense is pretty incredible.  

I would agree that Taffur's points, as well as Martinez's points, are a reality check for those that think Hall is a demigod in kids guise.

I think I'm bad luck for NIckal.  Just turned on the match and watched him get thrown for 4 and was damn near about to get pinned.  Ref blew whistle.  Nickal still won 14-10 I think.    Vs some fellow named Richmond I never heard of.

treep, nom: you make some good points. Hall looks rusty. Valencia looks hungry and aggressive. For those who want to stay on the bright side, a few thoughts. First, Martinez looked terrible in the B1G's leading up to the finals with Nolf. He won. Martinez almost lost to Ian Miller in the semis at NCAAs (lost in SV) and then beat Nolf. In both cases, it seemed like the Martinez in the lead-up could not possibly beat Nolf. So maybe, just maybe, Hall rises to the occasion. Another point is that there's serious history between Hall and Valencia and I think a little bad blood given the lead up to WNO in Oct 2014. If you recall, prior to that Valencia was ranked #1 and Hall #2 because Valencia had won the last won, though by a narrow margin. Valencia made some kind of cocky comment about teching Hall in the WNO (I think, don't kill me if I'm wrong!) and Hall went out and beat Valencia 11-1. This history might kind of pull Hall out of whatever half-sleep he's in and get him to really focus. Another point is that Valencia was not overwhelming vs Marsteller. He beat him but he had to work and had to work pretty hard.