Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Last chance qualifier..

I think I'm bad luck for NIckal.  Just turned on the match and watched him get thrown for 4 and was damn near about to get pinned.  Ref blew whistle.  Nickal still won 14-10 I think.    Vs some fellow named Richmond I never heard of.

I've heard that kind of thing can happen.

Agreed BigTimeFan... Hall hasn't seen this level of direct competition for about 4-6 months, given his quest to win his 6th MN state title.  The kids there are good from a state perspective, but it's not elite competition that he's been banging with recently.  I want Hall to be the guy, and think he will be in the longer run, however, I see Valencia taking this one today.  Fast forward 6 months, Hall takes it, and is top 4 at 74kg in the country.

Who do you have in the top 4 at 74?  That seems high for Hall.

boconnell:  

Not saying today, but fast forwarding 6 months, I could see a shift in the rankings where:

74 kg/163 lbs.
Top-Eight Rankings
1. Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids)
2. Andrew Howe, Norman, Okla. (New York AC)
3. Chris Perry, Stillwater, Okla. (Titan Mercury WC)

--> INSERT MARK HALL
4. Dan Vallimont, Long Beach, N.Y. (New York AC/Blue and Gold WC)
5. Kevin LeValley, Lewisburg, Pa. (Buffalo Valley RTC)
6. Nick Marable, Morgantown, W.Va. (Sunkist Kids)
7. Logan Massa, St. Johns, Mich. (New York AC/Cliff Keen WC)
8. Adam Hall, Raleigh, N.C. (Titan Mercury WC)

When training with elite competition, and also having been Burroughs personal drilling partner (and with OTC, and with PSU's room), being top four in the next 6 months isn't out of the question.  Continue stacking on his history, his quality wins over top/near-top NCAA talent, and the fact that I don't think he's gonna grow out of 74kg, I think he could easily land there in the next 6 months.  

This month?  No... 

boconnell:  

Not saying today, but fast forwarding 6 months, I could see a shift in the rankings where:

74 kg/163 lbs.

Top-Eight Rankings

--> INSERT MARK HALL

When training with elite competition, and also having been Burroughs personal drilling partner (and with OTC, and with PSU's room), being top four in the next 6 months isn't out of the question.  Continue stacking on his history, his quality wins over top/near-top NCAA talent, and the fact that I don't think he's gonna grow out of 74kg, I think he could easily land there in the next 6 months.  

This month?  No... 

I cannot disagree with that at all.  I think he'd be a big step below those 3, but the truth is after the olympics, I'd be surprised if Howe and Perry continued in 2017.  After the olympics I'd also be interested if all the guys who went up stayed up (Taylor, Dake, Caldwell?).  I guess top 4 is a good slot.

I didn't think I was crazy!  :-)

After Rio, I too sense a "changing of the guard" at 74kg.  I still think Burroughs keeps it going for a few more years, but the rest of the top guys will be subject to "retirement", moving fully into coaching, business, whatever.  This lands Mark Hall in a sweet spot, and at a very young age, to ascend into the top tier at 74kg, along with Valencia and maybe a handful of others that are NCAA that may try their hand at freestyle (a la AD, BoJo, etc..)

Edited by treep2000

I cannot disagree with that at all. I think he'd be a big step below those 3, but the truth is after the olympics, I'd be surprised if Howe and Perry continued in 2017. After the olympics I'd also be interested if all the guys who went up stayed up (Taylor, Dake, Caldwell?). I guess top 4 is a good slot.

Burroughs is still gonna be competing after this cycle

OK, just started watching Nickal / Hamlin and Nickal was winning 3-0.  Now is down 3-4.  I think I am bad luck for the kid.  I saw the 2 for Hamlin, not sure how he got the 4.  He threatened to expose Nickal's back but I think Bo prevented it.  They got into an upper body situation which Hamlin prevailed in.  Must of have missed something.  

Bo gets a low single but Hamlin jumps away.  Hamlin deep head outside single and converts for TD.  Has legs laced?  Yes.  Just gets 2 for it.   Hamlin is up 8-3.  

As I've stated before, I hate that a guy (Nickal) can sit straight up, even lean in a bit, get rotated, with blades NO WHERE NEAR THE MAT and it be called 2.  Ridiculous.  There was no threat of pin, no exposure of back.  Should not have been 2 against Bo. 

Bo gets in low and gets 2.  Thought might have ankles crossed but gives it up.  8-6.  Missed a point somewhere.  Bo in and converts!!

Then another 2 off the camera.  A roll?  AND WINS!  10-8!!  I'm not bad luck!!  That is a good win.  Hamlin is tough.

boconnell:

74 kg/163 lbs.

Top-Eight Rankings

--> INSERT MARK HALL

When training with elite competition, and also having been Burroughs personal drilling partner (and with OTC, and with PSU's room), being top four in the next 6 months isn't out of the question. Continue stacking on his history, his quality wins over top/near-top NCAA talent, and the fact that I don't think he's gonna grow out of 74kg, I think he could easily land there in the next 6 months.

This month? No...

You're crazy not to put Dieringer in there and ahead of Hall. I think Dieringer would beat Hall to a pulp right now and in six months.

Dardanes brothers still going eh? What are they up to for full-time jobs nowadays?

This is a strange comment. Why pick on the Dardanes? Chris is 3x all-American with a win over Steiber. Better credentials some other guys doing well like Kennedy for example.