Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Last chance qualifier..

I agree, Valencia is a freak of nature physically. He was getting to a single pretty well, which is probably good because his double (while good) has been scouted pretty heavily at this point. I think he showed the best way to take Mark Hall down. Crazy unexpected move to score - high risk wrestling. Maybe this is the reason why Hall has always had so much difficulty wrestling against Bo Nickal.

This is like Dake/Taylor.

Lemon, this is their third meeting. The first Valencia won in a closely contested match, the second Hall dominated and now this one. I'm not sure we are there yet. I think this is going to be an awesome rivalry of a new and different kind. What I like about it is that this has the potential to go on all through college if they stay in the same weight class.

Lemon, this is their third meeting. The first Valencia won in a closely contested match, the second Hall dominated and now this one. I'm not sure we are there yet. I think this is going to be an awesome rivalry of a new and different kind. What I like about it is that this has the potential to go on all through college if they stay in the same weight class.

I agree. I'm just amazed by Hall. I really thought Anthony was going to get him this time... just like all those times I thought Taylor was going to be Dake haha.

I agree, Valencia is a freak of nature physically. He was getting to a single pretty well, which is probably good because his double (while good) has been scouted pretty heavily at this point. I think he showed the best way to take Mark Hall down. Crazy unexpected move to score - high risk wrestling. Maybe this is the reason why Hall has always had so much difficulty wrestling against Bo Nickal.

It's interesting that Nickal is the only guy who has beaten him consistently - ever. Hall has lost to very few people in the last four years. He lost to Nickal three times and never beat him. He lost to Valencia once a while back and beat him and he lost one match at the juniors in the last second that he (in my opinion) really should have won. I think that's basically it. It's kind of amazing. And for what it's worth, when he lost to Nickal it was up at 182 pounds.

In summary: Valencia may appear to be a freak of nature, but I don't see anything that suggests he is going to beat Hall any time soon. Before the match the worry for Hall fans was that Valencia was training all year with Ruth while Hall was training in a HS room looking for his sixth straight title (though he did train with JB over the summer at the OTC). Hall's training situation is about to get markedly better. Next year, he's either going to the OTC and training with Burroughs and others of his caliber (he's talked about doing that for a year first) or going to Penn State and training with Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal and the rest of them. Unless Hall has absolutely peaked in terms of what he can learn and do, I think the guy's got amazing upside.

Nevermind. It was a Greco win, which means nothing.

Once is enough. I was really pissed that Hall lost to him. It was a last second move. Good for Nagy but Nagy then lost so Hall was out and Hall has beaten people of better caliber. To my mind he looked stiff the whole junior worlds. It's his one weakness. 

This is what I mean by Dake/Taylor

I have never been more impressed by DT than by Dake when they wrestled. Especially in freestyle, where Dake was clearly superior in every aspect.

Valencia appeared to me to be the better athlete, had the match won with seconds to go, and took an unnecessary risk by going for another TD he didn't have to go for.

In summary: Valencia may appear to be a freak of nature, but I don't see anything that suggests he is going to beat Hall any time soon.

You mean other than the fact that Valencia had the match won and decided to go for another TD instead of icing the victory?

Hall crushed Valencia last time they met. Valencia has effectively closed that gap and gave away the match today. I can easily see it going the other way next time they meet, especially if Valencia has Zeke in his corner telling him to chill when he has the match won.

Incredible match. Valencia is such a freak. Incredibly physically gifted. 

Hall won, but I was more impressed with Valencia in this match and think he has more upside going forward.

I'm usually most impressed by the wrestlers who win the match.

Hall won the match.

All in all, you have a recently graduated HS Senior that just qualified for OTT's, and doesn't really (per recent interviews) have a huge desire (nor could he) to make the OLY team.  He has stated that his focus is Junior's again, so anything he sees at OTT is a huge training/learning opportunity for this cycle.  

Agreed with a previous poster:  Unless Hall has peaked at the ripe age of 18/19, his upside, in a very crowded weight class (worldwide) is absolutely huge.  Get him at the OTC, get him in the room with Burroughs, in the room with the PSU staff and fellow athletes, and WOW...  

Hall might win a match at OTT's, but this year, I'm envisioning that it's more about gauging where he is at, and where he still needs  to go.  

Prediction:  Hall is our 2020 OLY rep at 74kg (or 86kg, by that time).  

I think Mark Hall and Valencia are great young wrestlers. However, Alex Dieringer is who I would pick to succeed Jordan Burroughs when he retires after tying or breaking John's record of six gold medals.

Yea I don't see Hall coming close to besting Ringer. Ringer is truly gifted and we will have the pleasure of watching him take on FS full time and becoming one of the best in the World. Hall will likely be at the 86K class in the next cycle anyways so I don't think it will be an issue between the two.

Something a former Okie state wrestler mad known to me at nationals and I noticed it in the finals when Jordan tried to keep out of it was Dierenger only scores off an under hook you think guys take that into account for the future when competing against him?

Something a former Okie state wrestler mad known to me at nationals and I noticed it in the finals when Jordan tried to keep out of it was Dierenger only scores off an under hook you think guys take that into account for the future when competing against him?

Completely untrue.

In fact, one of his go-to moves is a near arm far leg, which is executed off of an inside tie, not an underhook. He also has a double from space which he doesn't use as often.