Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Last chance qualifier..

definitely only reason he is good... just meat head strength... got to be it...

anyway...

i did just get to watch hall v valencia... a really entertaining match... while valencia was fun to watch with all the jumping around and craziness (and he at least didn't devolve into a throwing slap punches ala basketball and/or 13 year old girl), i still think hall showed the better wrestling... much more technically sound...

good on both of them

I have never been more impressed by DT than by Dake when they wrestled. Especially in freestyle, where Dake was clearly superior in every aspect.

Valencia appeared to me to be the better athlete, had the match won with seconds to go, and took an unnecessary risk by going for another TD he didn't have to go for.

And you seem like a guy with no axe to grind, so your level of impressedness will be a formidable hurdle for young Mr. Hall to overcome.

I have never been more impressed by DT than by Dake when they wrestled. Especially in freestyle, where Dake was clearly superior in every aspect.

Valencia appeared to me to be the better athlete, had the match won with seconds to go, and took an unnecessary risk by going for another TD he didn't have to go for.

. Edited by PhiferFuqua

And you seem like a guy with no axe to grind, so your level of impressedness will be a formidable hurdle for young Mr. Hall to overcome.

I truly have no axe to grind since I had no favorite in that match. I was making an objective observation. Valencia gave that match away in the end.

Just rewatched Hall and Valencia.

How the hell did Hall get that last TD? Valencia seemed to be in a much better position. Hall just knew to move when he did and Valencia's left arm was weirdly out of position and boom, Hall has the control from the side.

I truly have no axe to grind since I had no favorite in that match. I was making an objective observation. Valencia gave that match away in the end.

Valencia didn't "give away" anything.  Hall won the match.

Deal with it.

Good tourney for Nick Heflin.  Loses 4-2 first round to Winn then runs through rest of bracket to take 3rd.  He has nice size and power for this weight class.  Could become a factor over next four year cycle if he keeps competing.

Glad someone mentioned this.  I get it that competition not the greatest, but I was also happy about Heflin's performace. With his outstanding positioning and great counter offense he can keep almost any match close..

Hmmmm, good question on Hall's first 2 points. Hall gets in on low ankle (the way he did it showed either poor judgement or amazing confidence) opponent sprawled out with both hands on mat. Hall goes out back door and lifts high.

Note, at point of lift, it was no longer from the feet. They were both down on the mat. Valencia is draped over Hall with both hands down.

Doesn't that mean that the 4 point possibility is gone? No longer feet to back.

Edited by nom

Headshuck. It is an honest question. I figure a lot of these guys have full time day jobs. Is that not the case? How can you be graduated from college and be low on the ladder and not have a full time job?

How far down the ladder do stipends go?

(Sorry for all edits, many typos when posting from my phone)

Edited by nom

I have no bias either way. In fact, I'm probably more a fan of Hall than Valencia. But I don't see how anybody could think Hall has any more potential than Valencia after that match. He had the match won and should have probably shut down. Just saying.

I have no bias either way. In fact, I'm probably more a fan of Hall than Valencia. But I don't see how anybody could think Hall has any more potential than Valencia after that match. He had the match won and should have probably shut down. Just saying.

Shutting down does not make the equivalent of winning.  Hall might have taken him down anyway, shut down or no shut down.

Again, Hall won the match.  Hall is the better wrestler at the moment.

Again... defying my own words earlier, Hall surprised me and pulled out the win, and this is considering his level of competition the past 4 months.  Hall is currently the better wrestler, and the gap will widen as time continues to transpire, due to the fact that he will see "looks" like Valencia's now on a consistent basis, and most likely see even better "looks" from the like of David Taylor, Cael, etc. in the PSU Room, as well as training at OTC with Burroughs, Howe, and the rest of the top guys in the class.  

I see him winning "maybe" one match at OTTs.... maybe... but the future is VERY bright for Mr. Hall, PSU, and USA Wrestling.  

valencia tried everything he could... he obviously isn't going to be able to bully Hall or out technique him, so, he tried to clown wrestle him and jump all around like a crazy person... i get it... you got to try whatever you can...

but, the more solid technique prevailed...  

valencia tried everything he could... he obviously isn't going to be able to bully Hall or out technique him, so, he tried to clown wrestle him and jump all around like a crazy person... i get it... you got to try whatever you can...

but, the more solid technique prevailed...  

He had ONE acrobatic move the whole match. He scored his first TD on the most fundamental technique of all, a go-behind. He was in on Hall's legs several times off of fundamental singles that had no "flash" to them. Valencia can wrestle with the best of his age group and has repeatedly proven it. It's not all athleticism and "clowning", as you call it. 

Hall won fair and square. In fact, I think he was cheated of two extra points because his first TD should've been 4. That doesn't take anything away from how impressive Valencia looked too.