Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Jon Sioredas named Cal Poly head coach

Guest Kingsland

Wonder if Vega follows him there. Also hope they retain Sentes and Evans on staff.

Wonder if Vega follows him there. Also hope they retain Sentes and Evans on staff.

My guess is Vega was going there because it's close to home and cheaper than most places. He has never beaten Josh Kramer who will most likely be 125 for ASU in the near future. His best bet might be Utah Valley or someplace similar. 

Kramer was in college this year. Ro-Ro beat Brandon Courtney. 

The issue for Vega with Kramer has always been size. Josh is lust plain bigger and at a certain point size beats talent but it's not that Kramer is just bigger he's a good wrestler too. 

Edited by Zebra

I don't think matches in practice mean too much...I am fairly sure they have never wrestled in a match.  That said, I like Kramer and he is tough and hope he does well next year if he is the starter. 

Vega will definitely need to get bigger to do well at the D1 level.  I can't understand him wrestling at 113 this year...I understand he probably didn't want to wrestle RBY but if that was he case he should have just gone up to 126. 

Edited by homerdindon

I don't think matches in practice mean too much...I am fairly sure they have never wrestled in a match.  That said, I like Kramer and he is tough and hope he does well next year if he is the starter. 

Vega will definitely need to get bigger to do well at the D1 level.  I can't understand him wrestling at 113 this year...I understand he probably didn't want to wrestle RBY but if that was he case he should have just gone up to 126. 

They've wrestled in freestyle but never in high school. My kid has wrestled all of these kids Ro-Ro, Courtney, Uhler, Farina, Kramer, Casillis, Angel, Mason and many more in that same age and size range so I know all of them really well. You may say "practice" doesn't matter much but when you see a TD ratio of 5-1 mainly because of size it becomes very obvious.  

Danny was not going to win state at 126. He's really good but a 5'3" 115 pound kid is going to have an extremely difficult time beating kids cutting from nearly 140. At a certain point bio-mechanics takes over. I have no doubt about his talent but it is his size which is a liability. It's not like he is a kid not working hard it's just basic genetics. 

Zebra, Dalton Brady made a huge jump in weight his senior year and had a very difficult time in the finals with a much taller and bigger Dajour Reece.  I think Vega could have made the jump but he wouldn't have trounced everybody on the way to winning.  He might have had a few 4-2 or 5-3 matches, but he's been in enough big matches to get it done and knows how to win.  And he made some kind of deal with RBY prior to the season not to compete in the same weight. 

I was thinking of Brady when I wrote that but Brady was in my opinion better suited for the jump up in weight than Danny. While I believe he would have placed I do not think he could have beat Mason or Salazar. Just my opinion on that. 

Danny, Ro-Ro and Angel have been training together for a long time.I think the last time Danny and Ro-Ro wrestled in an actual match was at the Tempe Jr High state (78 pounds I think) where one of them beat beat Hovis in the semi and Ro-Ro won in overtime. Ro-Ro was in 6th grade and Danny was in 8th for the first time. The next year they were 88. 93, and 98 for Amphi Jr High with both Danny and Angel being 8th grade hold backs.

I think he's beaten better guys than Mason and won bigger matches than the AZ State finals.  Being at the high level I think he would have found a way to win.  Being a 3 or 4 time state champion in AZ doesn't mean much unless you go out of state and prove how good you are.  Vega, RBY, Hovis, etc. have proven it.  I don't think Mason or anyone else was at that same level of competition. 

Except Mason has beaten him before, has placed in several big tournaments, and is probably 25 pounds heavier. Again as I said earlier bio-mechanics takes over at a certain point and I just think it would have here. 

This is not a knock on Danny, he's talented and accomplished for sure but at a certain point size trumps talent and resume. 

Very underwhelmed by this hire

I was thinking the same, but listen to the guy on Jason's podcast. I can see why he must have given a great interview. 

Not to throw someone like Kevin Jackson under the bus, but compare his results and the time it has taken to get even to where he is now, to guys like Borelli at Stanford, his dad at Central Michigan, Smith at Missouri, or Popolizio at NC State. I'm sure on the front end those hires were underwhelming since those guys were not NCAA Champs, or Olympic Gold Medalists, or even All Americans.

In other words - give it time.

If they did not interview Pat Smith or Mark Schultz, they missed the boat.

They applied?

Now that Cal Poly has filled their opening, I wonder who Fresno State will hire.

I wonder if the two positions each have a similar salary to offer their head coach.

While Pat Smith and Mark Schultz were both great wrestlers, both have had serious off the mat issues involving alcohol. Pat may have moved beyond that, but I don't think Mark's Twitter rampages and death threats help his cause.

While Pat Smith and Mark Schultz were both great wrestlers, both have had serious off the mat issues involving alcohol. Pat may have moved beyond that, but I don't think Mark's Twitter rampages and death threats help his cause.

Mark is part of the LDS Church and pretty devout about it.  So I doubt he's had any issues with alcohol in the last 20 or so years.