Sign in to follow this  
bigmik

Cael Sanderson wins Intermat Wrestlings COTY award

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/16243

COTY = Coach of the yaer

Cael Sanderon wins his third Intermat Coach of the year award. This was the correct pick imo. Cael is without a doubt the best coach in the ncaa right now. He has his wrestlers competing better than anyone at the moment.

Final results:

1. Cael Sanderson (Penn State) 78 (6)
2. Kevin Dresser (Virginia Tech) 61 (3)
3. Pat Popolizio (N.C. State) 30
4. John Smith (Oklahoma State) 28
5. Tom Ryan (Ohio State) 22
6. Nick Mitchell (Grand View) 15 (1)
7. Rob Koll (Cornell) 6
8. Eric Keller (Wartburg) 5
9. Steve Costanzo (St. Cloud State) 4
10. Brian Smith (Missouri) 1

Intermat's Tom Franck on Cael's season: 

"At the beginning of the season it seemed like there would be a battle for the team title at the NCAA tournament. When the event actually came about, there was still a battle, but it was for second place. Cael Sanderson's Nittany Lions not only won every competition they entered this year, but distanced themselves from the field in a surprising fashion," said InterMat's Tom Franck.

Great season for Cael and Penn State.

I'm not ok with the pick.

Can't bash Cael but I think that Popolizio deserved it the most.

Nationals didn't go well for the Wolfpack but they beat the Hawks and the Pokes in their own gyms.

He has made NCSTATE matter and this year was his coming out party.

Disappointed they gave it to Cael in lieu of Popolizio.

Dresser certainly in the running but since NCState beat them in the ACC tournament that negates the dual loss.....thus going back to season performance where NcState was better overall.  Does Vtech's NCAA performance trump that?  It could, but just think the 2 on the road wins mean more.

Dresser certainly in the running but since NCState beat them in the ACC tournament that negates the dual loss.....thus going back to season performance where NcState was better overall.  Does Vtech's NCAA performance trump that?  It could, but just think the 2 on the road wins mean more.

VT beat State in Raleigh

State beats VT at ACCs

VT beats State at NCAAs

Advantage VT all day long.

Nationals didn't go well for the Wolfpack but they beat the Hawks and the Pokes in their own gyms.

Dresser certainly in the running but since NCState beat them in the ACC tournament that negates the dual loss.....thus going back to season performance where NcState was better overall. Does Vtech's NCAA performance trump that? It could, but just think the 2 on the road wins mean more.

Great seasons for both NcState and VT. Lost opportunity to not recognize one of them. Edited by headshuck

Tech loses to ISU.

State beats Iowa in Carver

State beats Pokes in Stillwater.

Advantage State all week long.

All-Americans by team

6 – Virginia Tech

3 –North Carolina State

Team Finish

#4 Virginia Tech - 82.0 pts

#11 North Carolina State - 49.0 pts

Advantage VT

Edited by Hokierama

All-Americans by team

6 – Virginia Tech

3 –North Carolina State

Team Finish

#4 Virginia Tech - 82.0 pts

#11 North Carolina State - 49.0 pts

Advantage VT

I thought we already covered the NCAA Tournament?

Felt like making the same point twice that I already conceded?

Edited by LordNelson

I thought we already covered the NCAA Tournament?

Felt like making the same point twice that I already conceded?

Two head to head victories over State...plus a whipping at the NCAAs. It's easy to see which team regressed and which team peaked...thanks to the Coach.

Cael outperformed Popolizio is every meaningful metric. NCstate was good in duals, but Cael had a perfect 16-0 dual record. Cael won the Big 10s and most importantly, the NCAAS. You even mention that "Nationals didn't go well for the Wolfpack". You can't hand the award to a man who's team waited to under perform until the most important event of the entire season. The event that everyone's training and peaking for. Imagine giving the Hodge award to a wrestler that didn't win (or even AA) at the ncaas. NCstate placed 11th at nationals. That's not good enough for COTY.

Also consider the fact that PSU beat the team that beat NCstate in a dual this year.

Cael outperformed Popolizio is every meaningful metric.

depends on what you're measuring. Team performance, yes. Team performance above expectations, no. 

another way to think about it would be if Cael and Pop both took sabbaticals at the beginning of the year, which would suffer more from their HC's absence? 

it's a hypothetical, of course, but to me, post season awards are more valuable for creating news regarding under reported teams, athletes and events, not for confirming the results which are already evident. 

but none of it is worth getting too worked up over. Cael did a great job this year and I do not begrudge him any accolades he receives. 

depends on what you're measuring. Team performance, yes. Team performance above expectations, no. 

another way to think about it would be if Cael and Pop both took sabbaticals at the beginning of the year, which would suffer more from their HC's absence? 

it's a hypothetical, of course, but to me, post season awards are more valuable for creating news regarding under reported teams, athletes and events, not for confirming the results which are already evident. 

but none of it is worth getting too worked up over. Cael did a great job this year and I do not begrudge him any accolades he receives.

I believe most had NCstate finishing above 11th at the NCAA championships. I didn't see many picking PSU to score as many points as they did at NCAAs. So I believe Cael wins in team performance above expectations too. I see no good argument for Popolizio to win this award.

I believe most had NCstate finishing above 11th at the NCAA championships. I didn't see many picking PSU to score as many points as they did at NCAAs. So I believe Cael wins in team performance above expectations too. I see no good argument for Popolizio to win this award.

Finishing #11th is a huge disappointment given the hype going into the NCAAs.  

Finishing #11th is a huge disappointment given the hype going into the NCAAs.  

I agree. I also agree that Dresser had a better overall year than Popolizio. Dresser actually finished second for the award. I think Dresser should win the ACC wrestling coach of the year.

I agree. I also agree that Dresser had a better overall year than Popolizio. Dresser actually finished second for the award. I think Dresser should win the ACC wrestling coach of the year.

He did win ACC coach of the year....and it was well deserved for Coach Dresser.  

We had a lot of injuries this season and yes, lost to Iowa State 14-16 with 3 All-Americans out (Brascetta, Epperly and Haught) and a 4th starter that just came back into the lineup after 9 months out with knee surgery.  Folks leave out that when VT was in a much better shape (with those 3 AAs in the lineup) and wrestled Iowa State, we won the dual 32-3.  

Dresser will eventually win this award. He is doing some amazing things at VA Tech and I have become a big fan of the program. Their fans were great at MSG. Same goes for Popolizio, but that nationals finish definitely hurt him in the voting this year. Ultimately I think an undefeated dual season followed by winning NCAAs by a large margin was just too much to overlook. It really was Penn State's most complete season under Sanderson.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

in September? I remember people looking for NC State to surprise people but they weren't predicting the season they had. however I do remember lots of people predicting Penn State to win every match and the NCAA tournament. 

if NCAA results trump everything else and the award should go to whoever finishes the highest at the NCAAs, ok, sure. sounds like a really boring award to me but you can prefer that if you like. 

No Brands to be seen anywhere on that list?   

Cael clearly deserves the award for his magnificent season, despite big injuries.   Didn't miss a beat.   

I really like what Dresser accomplished and look forward to his team's continued development.  

Very cool.