Sign in to follow this  
lewboo

2 time NCAA champs going for 3rd title

What % of wrestlers, won 2 NCAA titles before their senior years, then failed to win their 3rd title?

If someone could post a complete list of 3 time NCAA champions, that would help. Here are some names off the top of my head of those who meet this criteria. Dan Gable 1, 1,2 Pat Milkovich, 1,1,2,2 Steve Mocco, 2,1,1,2 Johnny Thompson 2,1,1,3 Randy Lewis 2,1,1,7 Johnny Hendricks 6,1,1,2 Rick Sanders

1,1,2 Teyon Ware, 1,6,1,2 Dwayne Kellar 1,1,2

What % of wrestlers, won 2 NCAA titles before their senior years, then failed to win their 3rd title?

If someone could post a complete list of 3 time NCAA champions, that would help. Here are some names off the top of my head of those who meet this criteria. Dan Gable 1, 1,2 Pat Milkovich, 1,1,2,2 Steve Mocco, 2,1,1,2 Johnny Thompson 2,1,1,3 Randy Lewis 2,1,1,7 Johnny Hendricks 6,1,1,2 Rick Sanders

1,1,2 Teyon Ware, 1,6,1,2 Dwayne Kellar 1,1,2

I know Kevin Randleman won titles in 92 and 93 both against Corey Olsen of Nebraska in the finals. He didn't wrestle his senior year though so I don't know if he qualifies for your criteria of "going for".

According to Mitch Clarks book, Randleman decided to not go out for the team but other sources say he did not qualify academically.

Interestingly enough he would have met some of the criteria for your other thread in that he would have been a three time returning finalist after losing against Mark Reiland in the 1991 finals in Iowa City, his freshman year.

That would lead to another interesting thread because I don't know of another example of a potential four time finalist/all american who didn't wrestle their senior year.

Lincoln McIllravy had two titles at the end of his sophomore year, then lost as a junior to Marinetti.

Same thing with Dick Hutton who lost a referee's decision to Verne Gagne as a junior

Chuck Jean had two NCAA titles at the end of his junior year, got kicked out of Iowa State then won two NAIA titles at Adams State.

Terry Brands won his sophomore and senior year, he got 2nd his jr. year. Ed banach won his freshman and sophomore year, then got 2nd as a junior and won his 3rd title as a senior, just like Mclravy