Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Who would win in Helen Maroulis vs Spencer Lee?

I have zero sense as to how good the women would fare vs the men. So let's take the best 50kg/55kg juniors in the world (Spencer I would assume can no longer make 50kg, but yes, yes, he isn't proven as one of the best 55kg juniors) vs one of the best 55kg women in the world. How would that go? Or is this topic too hot to handle? 

NOTE: this is absolutely not meant to diminish WFS wrestling. Quite the opposite, I love it. I just don't have a feel for the skill/strength/conditioning differences across MFS and WFS.

Edited by BigTimeFan

I don't really have a nowadays reference point since womens' technique has improved so much in the last decade; we've seen our first generation of female "mat rats" progress from childhood to senior level.  Maroulis' skill-set is top notch.  The strength is the gap.

That said, i know when Patricia Miranda, our 2004 Olympian and medalist, was competing, she often trained with high school prodigy Henry Cejudo.  I understand she pushed his move to the OTC (although I could be wrong).  I would assume that was at least a decent go.

Interesting, but not a huge deal either way.

She probably could hang for a few goes although the score would be lopsided. Strength and speed play a huge factor. She is a great wrestler in her own right and there isn't much point in trying to compare her to a male wrestler.

at the OTC, high school kids (smaller ones anyway) who come to train roll with the chicks to prove they belong there... once they start beating the women, then they "graduate" to the men...

i seriously respect women's wrestling... i truly think maroulis is the most technically sound wrestler in the US right now, but, the differences in physiology make it an unfair comparison... 

Washington Post actually had a good article this morning on her cut to her new weight and her new strength training program:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/this-olympic-wrestling-hopefuls-toughest-opponent-her-scale/2016/04/08/b3a9a9c6-fb54-11e5-9140-e61d062438bb_story.html 

In the article she talks about how much stronger she has gotten (doing pullups with 60lbs weights hanging around her waist.) I'm excited to watch her wrestle leaner and stronger.

JB: I respect your views of course. I think the question is interesting. Others don't. But for those who are barely holding back their contempt for the question, as if it's a statement of some kind, I want to make sure everyone knows that the question is not a knock on women and not a call to arms for men. It's not a commentary. It's curiosity. I think that women's wrestling is tremendous and I think Helen is sensational. In that there are no senior wrestlers at the 50 - 55kg weights, it's natural to wonder just how good Helen is. I think of it along the lines of any other hypothetical that some people love and other people think are pointless. It's like pound-for-pound or who's better Sadulaev or Maharbek Khadartsev. Maybe pointless, but not, to my mind, offensive.

I would argue that they are different sports, and not only by sex and obvious definition. The women move differently than the men. Their bodies are different, and they have different strengths. 

When I was a kid, our coach always told us to wrestle the girls like they were any other opponent. It was very rare to come across a girl wrestling in the '90s, and I don't know if there are more wrestling coed now, or if there is enough of a culture of women's wrestling to support the girls on their own. I imagine that it doesn't make much of a difference until adolescence, anyway. 

A question that might be relevant in the near future: What can the men learn from the women? 

I'd actually like to hear Terry Steiner weigh in on that. 

As a spectator, it appears that women's wrestling is an abstraction of men's. It's still about positioning, hands and heads first, then hips. With less upper-body strength, there are less acrobatics, but fundamentally women's wrestling is very solid. So, I do wonder if what the women create as that culture grows will ever be relevant to the men.