Then why allow anyone below the 3 or 4 seed to enter the tournament. Silly. They wrestle this tournament for a reason.

They probably shouldn't have 1 event decide the team member. It can lead to the wrong guy representing us.

If Penn State or Iowa has a competitive weight in the room(like PSU 165 this year), would Cael or Brands pic the guy to wrestle at NCAAs off of 1 wrestle off. No the wouldn't and they don't because it's a dumb way to decide. They enter multiple tournaments, duals, and wrestle offs and make a decision who they think will do best.

That said I think it's all moot because Pico will win.

Well, I'd say someone who beats Metcalf, Steiber and (hypothetically) Pico in one day has proven to be pretty good.

This isn't figure skating, where the judges pick.

How many times do you think Molinaro makes the finals if they wrestled this tournament 10 times? Be honest.

He got no favors from the draw. I thought Steiber would win, so in my estimation he beat the champ at home (Metcalf), then the guy I thought would win.

Again, if he knocks off Pico if say he had the toughest path you could take.

I don't understand why anyone would step in and make a decision in one of our weakest weights that hasn't even been qualified. Molinaro or Pico or for that matter anyone else in the mix seems just as good as anyone else. Since everyone was healthy, since every match so far was won without any drama or protest, since everyone made weight, since everyone got through injury free, I don't think there's much of an argument for intervention.

How many times do you think Molinaro makes the finals if they wrestled this tournament 10 times? Be honest.

I think today is that 1 in 10 or at most 3 in 10 day.  Whatever...congrats to the tank.

Edited by Coach_J

Good evidence of Cael's strong coaching. Metcalf used to destroy Molinaro.

Good point.    Cael has now taken both Gomez and Molinaro to wins over Brent, who has lost to no other American, in years.   Cael may have done us a favor, by having his guy knock Brent out of the tournament, and open it up for someone who may be able to get a world medal (Olympic in this case).   

Do I think Molinaro is the absolute best guy to send? Based on his past probably not, but TODAY he has beaten 3 opponents who collectively won 8 NCAA titles to his 1. The name of the game is win the OTT and you make the team and so far he has done what he needs to do. If you can beat Metcalf and Stieber in the same day then you're doing something right.

This is silly. Although I hate his style and think he has zero chance to ever medal with it, if he wins tonight he absolutely deserves to represent us in the Olympics if we qualify the weight. Any argument otherwise goes against the very core of our sport and that is that the winner is determined on the mat.

Interesting question is who do we now send to try and qualify the weight?

Those wins over Metcalf and Stieber were very tough. Didn't think Frank was going to win either, but he did what he had to do to get the victory. Hope he takes one over Pico tonight and erases any doubt whether he deserves it or not. No matter the outcome, he's done more today than most would have predicted. Freestyle is a different ballgame than folkstyle.

Interesting question is who do we now send to try and qualify the weight?

That is not an interesting question. You send the guy who won the trials. You just argued that the winner of the trials no doubt deserves to go. Why would anyone else even be considered to qualify the weight? If they are the best to represent us at Olympics, they are best to qualify.

That is not an interesting question. You send the guy who won the trials. You just argued that the winner of the trials no doubt deserves to go. Why would anyone else even be considered to qualify the weight? If they are the best to represent us at Olympics, they are best to qualify.

Send him to one of the last qualifiers. If he doesn't qualify then you send either Pico or Stieber.

Edited by maolsen

I thought he pasted Russell pretty good but I may have been mistaken.   I know he launched some body pretty good, perhaps I confused the bout.   Admittedly I was focused on Pico most of the event.   

Tank beat Russell 14-1