hammerlockthree

Wrestlers who drop out of tournaments after losing

It's the OTT. Once eliminated, what is to be gained by continuing to compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^This.  Track athletes that are eliminated before the finals don't come back to run a consolation race.  Only reason to continue in the consolations is what Billyhoyle posted - chance at a stipend.

^^^This. Track athletes that are eliminated before the finals don't come back to run a consolation race. Only reason to continue in the consolations is what Billyhoyle posted - chance at a stipend.

Well - if you finish 3rd and the top 2 guys get hurt or can't wrestle for some reason, it's your spot, right? I know it's a loooooong shot.

In looking at this, there are some guys who may be retiring no matter what after this event if they don't win it (Mango??) so why not let someone advance who is going to keep training for world teams, etc.

I guess it all depends on the situation of each individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See note about National Teams. How do you suppose we set the #3 spot on the national team? Solutions, not complaints.

Losers of the semis wrestle maybe. I don't think after losing at the trials anybody is really themselves and the guy who comes in 3rd often times might not actually be the 3rd best. It's kind of a pointless consolidation bracket, everybody is mentally broken. Or it could just be determined by who is training with the guys at the camps in Colorado Springs by coaches or wrestle offs their.

Guy who wrestles back for third might not be the third best, but every athlete knows the system for being on the national team. If you're done, you're done. I get that, but taking third shows you are hungry enough to keep going and that funding and national team and tour access is worth wrestling back for, IMO.