BigTimeFan

Pico vs Molinaro Thread

So is that it for Pico or is he going to continue for a few more years?

He has said he is going MMA after this cycle.  I think he is going to go for Jr. Worlds though so he can be a "world champion" in his MMA credentials and because he has unfinished business at that tournament.  

He has said he is going MMA after this cycle.  I think he is going to go for Jr. Worlds though so he can be a "world champion" in his MMA credentials and because he has unfinished business at that tournament.  

He already was a world champion.

Edited by CA_Wrestler

It would be good to see him handle the unfinished business.    

Shame he's leaving for MMA. 

It would be good to see him handle the unfinished business.

Shame he's leaving for MMA.

I asked this before but can't recall where or if there was an answer - he can go pro in MMA and still train for the 2020 cycle, right. I know it's not ideal, but crap - he's only 20! We need to keep the young talent in the system.

Molinaro looked good, really good. His high crotch appeared to be a better precision weapon than anything Metcalf, Stieber, or Pico had. Yet he still seemed lucky to pull out the wins. 

Now the thinking is he won't qualify the weight.

How about another shocker for the fans Mr. Frank Molinaro.

He can't - rules say Frank has to go to the qualifiers unless he's hurt. I think that kills our chances of qualifying the weight. Ok - I shouldn't say that, but I just don't see his style translating into quality placements at top tourneys.

This year's 65kg OTT shows exactly why we should not rely on a single event to determine the national team member.

i am not sure there is any rule that says trials winner has to be the one to qualify the weight, but, burnett has said that is what will happen...

my gut feeling is it is going to be hard for him, but, i also never even considered him as a threat to do anything today... 

So, what do the rules say about who qualifies the weight class after trials?

USA wrestling has already said that the winner of OTTs, barring injury, will represent the USA in Mongolia.  They have said nothing to my knowledge about who they would send the following week to Turkey (if necessary).

Molinaro looked great.   Big improvement from the last time I saw him.   But can he do that against an international field?    I didn't believe we would qualify this weight class or 86, prior to today, and that has not changed.   I hope I'm wrong.   

He can't - rules say Frank has to go to the qualifiers unless he's hurt. I think that kills our chances of qualifying the weight. Ok - I shouldn't say that, but I just don't see his style translating into quality placements at top tourneys.

I think Molinaro's style plays as well internationally as any of our other 65s.  None of those guys has won anything of note on the senior level.  Metcalf has had years without getting it done.  Pico wasn't going to bully and head snap his way to a medal without a leg attack.  Stieber is just not good enough defensively.  His body is so short that there are a dozen guys in the world who can put up double figures on him.  Oliver hasn't been in shape since college.  Kennedy is another tweener with body size issues at that weight.  There is a reason this weight wasn't qualified and it's because none of these guys is that good on the unbelievably talented world 65 KG scene.  I didn't consider Molinaro a threat at all to win the spot today and I thought he was good not great in his wins (thinking about him on a world level).  But to act like he has no hope but someone else in the US did is false.  He has a shot to qualify the weight and he has the same punchers chance to get a good draw and medal that anyone else in the US at 65 had.   We just aren't that good at that weight.  

Edited by boconnell

I think Molinaro's style plays as well internationally as any of our other 65s. None of those guys has won anything of note on the senior level. Metcalf has had years without getting it done. Pico wasn't going to bully and head snap his way to a medal without a leg attack. Stieber is just not good enough defensively. His body is so short that there are a dozen guys in the world who can put up double figures on him. Oliver hasn't been in shape since college. Kennedy is another tweener with body size issues at that weight. There is a reason this weight wasn't qualified and it's because none of these guys is that good on the unbelievably talented world 65 KG scene. I didn't consider Molinaro a threat at all to win the spot today and I thought he was good not great in his wins (thinking about him on a world level). But to act like he has no hope but someone else in the US did is false. He has a shot to qualify the weight and he has the same punchers chance to get a good draw and medal that anyone else in the US at 65 had. We just aren't that good at that weight.

Agreed for the most part. Pico has beaten world medalists (including a past world gold medalist), so to say none have done anything noteworthy is selling him short, and I think he would have the best shot to qualify us and possibly medal at Rio - and don't take this to mean I think he would do both - just saying I think he may have given us the best shot. The bottom line is that I agree - we just don't have "that guy" at the weight who garners a ton of confidence on the world stage.

Also - I don't agree the Frank's style plays "as well as" the others internationally. I think a guy like Humphrey or Pico could do better against international comp b/c they just constantly go after it. Frank doesn't and that really doesn't work on the world level.

Again, tho - I agree - it's really probably a moot argument b/c we just aren't deep/strong enough yet at the weight.

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

I think Pico is a guy with an awesome gas tank.  That helps you pick up big wins at off peak tournaments, but at the Olympics, everyone is in shape for the most part.  I think this is a big part of Metcalf's results the last 5-6 years.  I don't think Pico was going to headsnap his way to a medal.  I guess he might have had a better chance at qualifying, but I think Molinaro's ability to score 3s and 4s lends itself better to upsets, which is what any American who wants to medal at 65 would need.  

I think Molinaro's style plays as well internationally as any of our other 65s.  None of those guys has won anything of note on the senior level.  Metcalf has had years without getting it done.  Pico wasn't going to bully and head snap his way to a medal without a leg attack.  Stieber is just not good enough defensively.  His body is so short that there are a dozen guys in the world who can put up double figures on him.  Oliver hasn't been in shape since college.  Kennedy is another tweener with body size issues at that weight.  There is a reason this weight wasn't qualified and it's because none of these guys is that good on the unbelievably talented world 65 KG scene.  I didn't consider Molinaro a threat at all to win the spot today and I thought he was good not great in his wins (thinking about him on a world level).  But to act like he has no hope but someone else in the US did is false.  He has a shot to qualify the weight and he has the same punchers chance to get a good draw and medal that anyone else in the US at 65 had.   We just aren't that good at that weight.  

Spot on, you swear we had a couple former medalist in the field. Molinaro is probably the only guy in that group that possesses a go-to-move that can work in an international tournament on a consistent basis. Combine that with his defense and ability to score from his opponent's offense and there is no reason to think anyone else in the bracket would do better internationally.

Edited by Flying-Tiger