GoNotQuietly

Sunday @ Olympic Trials Thread

Varner is fine going through a bracket when he is the dominant guy.  I think as he has gotten older, it has become difficult for him to recover at international events when everyone is at his level.  A best of 3 with Snyder and his awesome gas tank may just be too much from a conditioning standpoint...We'll see what he has in the third match.

I think 2012 was just the perfect storm of him being at his peak physically, the rules allowing for 4 minute matches/no passivity calls, and then avoiding some of the hammers like Yazdani/Gadisov. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Either way, having Varner or Snyder represent us at 97kg is a good thing... they are both competing at the top of the international level, as evidenced by their most recent placements... 

Heart wants Snyder, but will be happy and supportive if Varner takes it

Varner out of gas and rightfully so. Amazing after mini tourney grind against a fresh world champ. I don't agree with the sitting out rule. Such a major advantage. The third match favors Snyder. Does Varner have it in him to extend his career? Would be amazing if he did it! This is following the Lewis vs Smith three match series. The new champ always finds a way to hold off the old dog.

Edited by PRyan2012

So, where is everyone currently watching this ?  I was watching on the live link, but, it's not longer working.  I thought it was on NBCSports, but, I've got a Flyers game on that channel on DirecTV.  

Varner out of gas and rightfully so. Amazing after mini tourney grind against a fresh world champ. I don't agree with the sitting out rule. Such a major advantage. The third match favors Snyder. Does Varner have it in him to extend his career? Would be amazing if he did it! This is following the Lewis vs Smith three match series. The new champ always finds a way to hold off the dog.

It's one thing to say the rule is unfair for people like Dake or Taylor, since they have never had a chance to earn the bye.  Varner could have won a medal in 2014 though and didn't take home a medal.  Then he had another chance in 2015 when he lost to Snyder at the U.S. Open after both went through the bracket.  I'd say the system is very good.