GoNotQuietly

Sunday @ Olympic Trials Thread

Yeah, Hail Mary challenge. Cox is going to need to be a lot better by Rio. His main advantage was his size. Not going to cut it internationally. He needs more offense. He's got the skills for it, he just needs to let it fly more.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Wasn't a big fan of Dake's slam out of bounds, but he was going for the TD so not sure I can completely hold it against him. You could tell he lost his composure more at this event than in the past - perhaps losing/having close matches has something to do with that, though. Too bad there aren't two more weight classes.

Yeah, Hail Mary challenge. Cox is going to need to be a lot better by Rio. His main advantage was his size. Not going to cut it internationally. He needs more offense. He's got the skills for it, he just needs to let it fly more.

Training with Burroughs, dake, Snyder or Varner will help a ton.  That is two gold medalists wight there, plus pesky asss dake every practice. 

Call me crazy, but I'm not super confident in any of our unqualified weights getting qualified.  They could, but if we send our champ (or any in the top 3), they'll need to be on their game - an off day and we aren't good enough.

If he qualifies the weight and wins a match or two in Rio we can call it a moral victory.  He looks like the guy to man the weight for the next cycle though. 

Call me crazy, but I'm not super confident in any of our unqualified weights getting qualified.  They could, but if we send our champ (or any in the top 3), they'll need to be on their game - an off day and we aren't good enough.

Keep in mind that four years ago, 60kg was unqualified until the last minute.  Coleman Scott then pulled off that bronze.  Anything can happen.  Agree that it will be tough though, especially at 65 kg where the weight is so deep internationally.

its gonna be tough to qualify either of them.

Euro Qualifier is this week, things will be a lot clearer soon.

It is our weirdest weight class. 

I'm just not sure what to think of J'den's skills. 

For terrible for Dake. First US wrestling stacks the deck so much in Burroughs favor that any challenger with half as brain realized that it was a waste of time. Then he has to go up a ridiculous amount of weight, gets to the finals, but has to wrestle a guy just much bigger than he is and still comes thisclose. But the whole situation for both Dake and Taylor was caused by the way US wrestling conducted its trials. Neither of them should be at 86kg.

Congratulations to Cox but if he qualifies the weight he wont medal anyway. 

Edited by straggler

For terrible for Dake. First US wrestling stacks the deck so much in Burroughs favor that any challenger with half as brain realized that it was a waste of time. Then he has to go up a ridiculous amount of weight, gets to the finals, but has to wrestle a guy just much bigger than he is and still comes thisclose. But the whole situation for both Dake and Taylor was caused by the way US wrestling conducted its trials. Neither of them should be at 86kg.

Congratulations to Cox but of he qualifies the weight he wont medal anyway. 

Yes, I'm sure they both deserved the spot over Burroughs, the second greatest wrestler in U.S. history, even though neither has done anything of note at an international tournament.