GoNotQuietly

Sunday @ Olympic Trials Thread

I doubted j'den, in fact I thought Clayton foster would beat him easily in round 1 due to very little free experience. I'm glad I was proved wrong, he could be the future of the weight and because he has so little experience and he beat tons of guys with it, it's just a testament to how good he is and how much potential he truly has.

all the other dumb things you say also make me not want to root for Dake. But keep doing it if it makes you happy I guess.

Not to butt in, but... Rooting against a guy who had absolutely nothing to do with one of his fans making excuses for him is even stupider than making the excuses repeatedly in the first place, don't you think?

If you truly like Dake, then why would you root against him because some random guy said anything about him?

Not to butt in, but... Rooting against a guy who had absolutely nothing to do with one of his fans making excuses for him is even stupider than making the excuses repeatedly in the first place, don't you think?

If you truly like Dake, then why would you root against him because some random guy said anything about him?

I don't root against Dake. this dude makes me want to but that doesn't mean I indulge in such pettiness. 

Can I at least be a loser with a lowercase "l"? Am I salty? Guilty as charged. But honestly I do not care who wins or loses so long as there is competitive fairness. It is a very modest request. The selection process has so little competitive fairness given the challenge system that Dake and Taylor embarked on an adventure rather than waste their time in a fool's errand. I thought they were throwing away their careers trying to go up 26 pounds and even if Dake had made it he would get horsed against the elite at the weight. And how does Varner feel about the system? Varner is a former medalist.

At the end of the day I am not asking for too much. Clearer scoring rules. A fairer selection process. More realistic weight categories. (Anyone remember the 68 and 82 kg categories that magically disappeared or even the 84kg weight?). Pretty humble stuff.   

You are right: the trials process isn't fair.  But it isn't fair in the other countries, like Russia, too. Many Russians bailed because they weren't the guy, or they weren't from Moscow, where all the power is, etc.    

Taylor and Dake bumped up to avoid Burroughs. Period.  The process made knocking him off harder.  But if you beat him in 2 out of 3....you are in.  Sure he will be fresh and you won't be.  But in the Olympics, you will be expected to wrestled 4-5 matches in about 3-4 hours time.  Barnburners, usually.

As far as Varner, he probably is a little bummed about the process, but remember, he took the time off after winning the gold in 2012. Had he kept at it, Snyder would have had to go through that to beat him.  We may not have had Kyle representing us last year. Who knows if Varner could have matched the gold?  Not impossible, but hardly likely.  Snyder winning that medal, gave himself an easier time of winning this trial.  

Varner should be proud. He laid it all on the line, and made our representative that much better. If Snyder wins a medal, then Varner will be a part of the reason why, and I will personally be thankful.  Even though Varner isn't the guy starting, he still is on the Olympic team though.  He will be in Rio.  It could be worse.   

Winner of the trials should get to rest, with finals the next day.

same question. 2 kg allowance for both guys or just the challenge tournament winners? or no allowance? 

i don't mind the current system but i'm not opposed to changing it either. the extra weigh in though would complicate a 1 day of rest. just curious what people prefer in that hypothetical system. 

Honestly, I'd say scratch weight. If that's the biggest disadvantage, so be it. It's better than having a guy go thru a brutal 1 day tourney, then take on the top guy who has been resting. That's awful.

You are right: the trials process isn't fair.  But it isn't fair in the other countries, like Russia, too. Many Russians bailed because they weren't the guy, or they weren't from Moscow, where all the power is, etc.    

Taylor and Dake bumped up to avoid Burroughs. Period.  The process made knocking him off harder.  But if you beat him in 2 out of 3....you are in.  Sure he will be fresh and you won't be.  But in the Olympics, you will be expected to wrestled 4-5 matches in about 3-4 hours time.  Barnburners, usually.

As far as Varner, he probably is a little bummed about the process, but remember, he took the time off after winning the gold in 2012. Had he kept at it, Snyder would have had to go through that to beat him.  We may not have had Kyle representing us last year. Who knows if Varner could have matched the gold?  Not impossible, but hardly likely.  Snyder winning that medal, gave himself an easier time of winning this trial.  

Varner should be proud. He laid it all on the line, and made our representative that much better. If Snyder wins a medal, then Varner will be a part of the reason why, and I will personally be thankful.  Even though Varner isn't the guy starting, he still is on the Olympic team though.  He will be in Rio.  It could be worse.   

I find that rationale about needing to wrestle 4-5 matchs the weakest of all. Because all the competitors have to do the same.  

Edited by straggler