Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Metcalf/Michigan State

During one of the matches broadcast during the OTT today, one of the announcers mentioned that Metcalf is considering taking an assistant coaching position at Michigan State.  Is there any truth to this rumor?  Is this something he would really consider doing?  It would be great for Michigan State (and I know he's from Michigan), but Iowa would be crazy to let this guy leave.  

I would love it if he did that.   I truly believe he needs a break from Iowa.   He has become such a class act and really he's human again.    He could make a huge difference over there, and I think he could recruit well.   The writing is on the wall in Iowa City.   The fan base isn't going to put up with the diminishing results much longer and it wouldn't surprise me if Brands resigns soon.  It's an opportunity to put his own stamp on something and just get a fresh start.   I hope there is truth to this rumor

Metcalf would be an excellent choice for Michigan State and a lot of other schools, but I'm not really sure what he brings to Iowa that they don't already have with the Brands brothers.  NC State, PITT, VA Tech, Rutgers, ISU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, these are the type of schools where I think he would have the biggest impact. Well maybe not VA Tech, lol, forgot about the history but definitely NC State. Pop should already have an offer out there. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Brent Metcalf would be the culture shock and change MSU desperately needs.

Roger Chandler may have different thoughts and methods than Coach Minkle, but he was on that staff for a very long time. He appears to be as much a part of the mindset that has been established in the Spartan program as the former HC.

Brent Metcalf would be the culture shock and change MSU desperately needs.

Roger Chandler may have different thoughts and methods than Coach Minkle, but he was on that staff for a very long time. He appears to be as much a part of the mindset that has been established in the Spartan program as the former HC.

Seems like Chandler's appeal is his ability to convince others that he was held back by Minkle? Okay, but what does it say about someone that they would stick around and deal with that for 18 years?

I'm an Ohio guy, so there is a part of me that wants to see Chandler succeed.  But, if I'm the AD at Mich. St. and Metcalf shows an interest in coaching there, Chandler is gone the next day and Metcalf is the HC, bringing in his own staff. Problem is Mich. St. doesn't give a s*it about wrestling.

I'm not sure if the timing is right for The Spartans, but Brent Metcalf could probably pull Tony Ramos in pretty easy wherever he went about now. That would be one hell of a start for any program...

Ramos isn't too keen on Metcalf at the moment since he apparently enjoyed having Dennis back. Edited by MadMardigain

I'm an Ohio guy, so there is a part of me that wants to see Chandler succeed.  But, if I'm the AD at Mich. St. and Metcalf shows an interest in coaching there, Chandler is gone the next day and Metcalf is the HC, bringing in his own staff. Problem is Mich. St. doesn't give a s*it about wrestling.

Would be a good move. All the AD has to do is look at Penn State after recruiting Sanderson & Co. A third tier program with big crowds of 35 suddenly becomes a top program with sellouts. A Coach with top credentials would Michigan State a lot of good in recruiting.

any evidence metcalf is a good coach........

it isn't the most sound reasoning here but I think back to a series of Instagram posts he made last year where he talked about every different sport be played as a kid and how he isn't a proponent of specializing in one sport at an early age and always recommends trying things out and finding the sport you really love. It gives you a different look at Metcalf and see that he really has a level head on his shoulders. Throw in the fact that he obviously is an extremely skilled wrestler and was incredibly dominant in college, so I think that can all combine for a potentially successful coach.

Not sure to many big time programs are going to throw a head coaching job with no proven track record. Willie Boy lets not forget that Sanderson had success at ISU first so It's not like they just handed over the job to him cause he was an elite wrestler. I like the idea of ISU assistant pull a reverse Gable, it makes since he has his Iowa ties pulse his ties to Michigan which is not too far away. With that being said the way Ramos says he felt disrespected I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see him head that way (not if Metcalf goes). 

Considering the schools lack of success with the coaches they have had for some time they would benefit by going out on a limb.

Even Mark Shultz or Joe Seay would be worlds better than what they have now.

I doubt that Mark Shultz will land himself on a university's payroll. He didn't play his cards that way when the spotlight was on him. 

Not sure to many big time programs are going to throw a head coaching job with no proven track record. Willie Boy lets not forget that Sanderson had success at ISU first so It's not like they just handed over the job to him cause he was an elite wrestler. I like the idea of ISU assistant pull a reverse Gable, it makes since he has his Iowa ties pulse his ties to Michigan which is not too far away. With that being said the way Ramos says he felt disrespected I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see him head that way (not if Metcalf goes).

This generation of recruits coming along will gravitate toward a name like metcalf. Not some whatchamacallit long time assistant coach of a dormant program.

All these kids are plugged into social media as a source of the world. And a name like metcalf is constant in what they see.

I don't expect some old school athletic directors of programs they generally ignore to get this. So I agree, many programs wouldn't go with a young guy emerging from his athletic career.

This generation of recruits coming along will gravitate toward a name like metcalf. Not some whatchamacallit long time assistant coach of a dormant program.

All these kids are plugged into social media as a source of the world. And a name like metcalf is constant in what they see.

I don't expect some old school athletic directors of programs they generally ignore to get this. So I agree, many programs wouldn't go with a young guy emerging from his athletic career.

I agree with you and I do believe that Chandler was the wrong hire, I thought they should have tried to bring Kish back to Michigan I'm sure it wouldn't have been a hard sell come back home and coach a BIG school almost sound like a no brainer. There other coaches at some of the smaller schools that would probably entertain the idea as well as other assistants with proven records of winning and developing wrestlers. Amazing record does not = great coach. As I've already said I like the idea most of him going to ISU and if all goes well taking over for Jackson. Could you imagine what this would do for ISU?