Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Metcalf/Michigan State

He should go straight to hc somewhere. No sense building up another hc as an assistant.

I think he has the chops to be a head coach, but wouldn't you want him on the mat every day right now showing technique, running practices, and going at it with the athletes?  Plus, he very may want to continue competing while transitioning to his coaching career.  Brent is also very smart guy with a contagious work ethic..I would want him to develop very close relationships with the athletes that are tough to sustain as a head coach.  He is a phenomenal buy for almost any program even just for the wealth of information he must have built up over the many years training and competing all over the world

I think a young gable went at it with athletes. I guess that's a different era.

Good head coaching is really about recruiting and that's where winning begins and just about ends.

Recruiting is part of it but coaching and development is what bring winning. You're never going to land 10 blue chip studs at each weight so you need to develop the others to fill a solid lineup. Most kids improve every year so if your coach can get his guys a little better each year they your going to fall behind real fast. Diet and nutrition are also a factor if you can't keep your kids eating right and their weight under control your going to have issues (just look at Gasca for MSU). Kids will start to realize that the coach isn't making any of the top recruits he got in any better then decide they don't want to go there. Look at guys like Rob Koll and Tim Flynn yes they get some studs but they develop the rest.

Well so much for the Metcalf idea to MSU. Chris Williams is leaving Adrian College and going back to be an assistant at MSU

You beat me to it I was going to get on here and post the same thing.

Chris Williams is a great hire. He was the main reason for the success of the lower weights when he was previously at MSU. He also had a good huge impact on the Massa Maniac crew from St. Johns. Much of the success of wrestlers from the Greater Lansing area is due to Chris Williams. While he is not a household name, the guy can coach. I promise you he will have a huge impact on the lower weights at MSU. 

I wonder if Angus Arthur leaves and goes D1 again? I sure do hope not and I'm super bummed that Williams is leaving I was glad when we were able to get a coach with his credentials and now he's gone. Lets just hope he doesn't hand out for 18 years of no success just so he could be the next head coach of MSU.