Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Rank your TOP 10 individuals for the upcoming season

Agree about Taylor. I don't like him, but I can recognize his incredible ability. And since no Hawkeye stands a chance against him (at this point), I can enjoy watching him wrestle at lot. He's so low on some people's lists that it's a complete joke.

I watched all five of his matches in the trials. He looked dog tired from the beginning throughout the whole tournament. I've never seen him gas, ever, and he was definitely gassing in some of the third periods. He looked almost sickly against Dake, hardly trying any offense at all. He also made some silly mistakes, rolling over his back against Fay and losing periods on pushouts.

McDonough didn't do that well at the trials either, but he definitely beat some quality guys as well. He lost to Simmons, a world 5th placer, and Blanc, world team member. 55kg isn't really that tough, and with Simmons, Haze, and Cejudo all (presumably) gone after this year, it really opens up. He just needs to patch up his freestyle technique and he's going to be a multiple time world team member and possible medalist.

Ruth is great, I just can't see him as better than Taylor at this point. No, he didn't wrestle any current collegiate wrestlers, but he lost to Phil Keddy and Raymond Jordan. Keddy is/was a tough Hawkeye, but c'mon his resume is nothing compared to Ruth's. Ditto for Jordan.

What's wrong with the St. John pick and who would you have ahead? I was thinking about putting Ramos as #10, but St. John just has better credentials and is a better folkstyler for now. Plus he did this all with a severe injury. Gelogaev needs to stay healthy for a season and I'm just not impressed with Nelson yet. He needs another year to prove he's truly an elite, elite heavyweight as heavyweight is extremely fickle. No way for Bosak, he can't beat Hamlin (1-4 against). Hamlin loses random matches throughout the season and has no titles yet. Hamlin is NQ, 2, 4, while St. John is 4, 2 and improving. St. John can beat his rivals, time and time again. He's 5-0 against Welch, 2-0 against Alton. His only losses were absolute flukes from the injury and he beat Pena at nationals.

Can't even comprehend arguing with people who have Taylor so low. Joke.

I saw one guy have him at #7!! #7!!??? How much of a hater/moron do you have to be, to put him at #7. Others have him at #5, #4.....I mean I just dont get it. No matter how low you rank him people, in REALITY he is still the most dominant wrestler in America. Has a bad OTT, and all of the sudden he is trash lol I'll take Taylor over Dake in folk any day of the week. Howe is a bigger threat to Taylor than Dake is. Howe is a monster, just as strong and solid as it gets.

1- Taylor

2- Howe

3- Dake

4- Steiber

5- Ruth

6- Kilgore

7- Oliver

8- McDonough

9- Wright

10- Ramos

No matter how low you rank him people, in REALITY he is still the most dominant wrestler in America. Has a bad OTT, and all of the sudden he is trash lol I'll take Taylor over Dake in folk any day of the week. Howe is a bigger threat to Taylor than Dake is. Howe is a monster, just as strong and solid as it gets.

Talk is cheap.

But since we are talking about just one bad day, let us also not forget that DT was PINNED in his other folkstyle finals appearance.

No matter how low you rank him people, in REALITY he is still the most dominant wrestler in America. Has a bad OTT, and all of the sudden he is trash lol I'll take Taylor over Dake in folk any day of the week. Howe is a bigger threat to Taylor than Dake is. Howe is a monster, just as strong and solid as it gets.

Talk is cheap.

But since we are talking about just one bad day, let us also not forget that DT was PINNED in his other folkstyle finals appearance.

Talk is cheap when it comes from the biggest DT hater in America such as yourself. Lets not forget that he got pinned, but has completely destroyed everybody else for 2 straight years, won the Hodge DESERVEDLY so, and is a national champion in the most dominating fashion we have ever seen in our lifetime. So instead of just concentrating on ONE pin why dont you concentrate on the multiple dominating wins by Taylor. I didnt know you had to go undefeated like Cael all four years to be considered great. Pff moron. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

I've said it time and time again, you can just tell by watching the two wrestler that Ruth is better than Taylor. As I've stated before, there are people out there who know for sure and I'd be ecstatic to hear them set the record straight, but until they do I'm going to go on imagining that Ruth smokes Taylor because that is what I see on the mat. Also, Ruth lost to a guy in what appeared like a give up because he came back and smoked the field injured to get third. Then humiliated Amuch in the rematch. Taylor was decked by a guy we all saw Metcalf play with. Then Dake manhandles him. What Taylor needs desperately is some marquee wins. Bonus pointing the hell out of inferior competition will play up to some and to some it won't. For these reasons alone I can't see anyone putting Taylor above Ruth. Until someone reports that Taylor gets the best of Ruth I'll always believe the opposite.

Taylor gets the best of Ruth from what I hear. At least last season.

Stieber is better than DT. Did you see his match vs one of Russia's finest?

Im a huge Stieber fan, I have him higher on my list than most other people do. I still dont think in folkstyle (which we tend to forget is what they wrestle in college), that he is better than Taylor. Taylor is the best folkstyle wrestler we have. In Freestyle, its not even close, Stieber is much better.

I saw one guy have him at #7!! #7!!??? How much of a hater/moron do you have to be, to put him at #7. Others have him at #5, #4.....I mean I just dont get it. No matter how low you rank him people, in REALITY he is still the most dominant wrestler in America. Has a bad OTT, and all of the sudden he is trash lol I'll take Taylor over Dake in folk any day of the week. Howe is a bigger threat to Taylor than Dake is. Howe is a monster, just as strong and solid as it gets.

1- Taylor

2- Howe

3- Dake

4- Steiber

5- Ruth

6- Kilgore

7- Oliver

8- McDonough

9- Wright

10- Ramos

Reality called.....It want's you back.

Why I have Taylor ahead of Dake:

Better career record; Better results from wrestling mutual opponents; more dominate in general; much better gas tank. That being said, if someone has Dake #1, I'm not going to argue. The guy has 3 titles in 3 years in 3 different weight classes. A few people used OTT as a tie break; got no problem with that but imo one bad event in a different style doesn't come close to erasing all DT has done in folk in 2 years.

Why I have Taylor ahead of Howe:

Better career record; Better results from wrestling mutual opponents; more dominate in general. Howe finished 3rd his last NCAAs while Taylor dominated NCAAs. Howe did look great at OTT and pushed the defending world champ hard however he is now a college 174 wrestling at 163 and just spent the past year doing nothing other then training. I fully expected Howe to beat Taylor and he did. However, Howe will not be able to keep that muscle mass and wrestle 165 and he will have to worry about a full college work load during the season.

Why I have Taylor ahead of Steiber and Oliver:

Not sure how anyone could have a wrestler who lost mutilple times during the season ahead of DT. Steiber is a fantastic freestyle prospect, but he lost badly to Oliver and lost to Dardanis during the season. Oliver also had two losses and finished 2nd making it even more difficult to elevate JO over Taylor.

Tigs-This arguement grows old. You punish others for losses to good wrestlers but you don't punish DT. I don't think DT is the best guy in college you do, who cares. I guess we could always call each other names. I don't hate DT, I don't even hate you, but I still don't think DT is the best guy in college wrestling or in my lifetime. I would leave the door open for DT to change my mind if he beats some STUDS and stops getting pinned. Contrary to popular belief, unless he's wrestling Iowa, I don't care if DT wins or loses. It's always been your fans I've had a problem with.

What grows old is your inability to differentiate between folkstyle and freestyle. DT had ZERO losses during the college season and was the one that did all the pinning. The title of this thread is Rank your top ten for the upcoming (college) season, not who is the better freestyle wrestler or who is the best olympic prospect. I realize that OTT is the only thing you have to hang your hat on at this point, but come on, I think you are going to need a bit more when Taylor comes back even better next year and destroys the 165 weight class even worse.

Jesus christ dude the only reason I have to differentiate is because your boy lost!!! Excuse, excuse, excuse. I did my rankings and I stand by them. I could care less what you or anyone thinks of them. I think the fact you have DT #1 shows your inability to look beyond your PSU glasses. I'd venture to guess you don't care what I think either. My rankings are subject to change at any time. DT puts a beating on Dake or Howe and we've got something. I just hope that he doesn't have another weight class like last year to destroy. I'm done with this conversation (for now anyway)it's exhausting, I'll give you the final word.

This is a good post but I don't get all the hostility. I really don't think you can go wrong with Dake, Taylor, Howe, or Ruth as number one and all as top 4. In addition, Oliver's descension because of one controversial loss to Stieber could also be debated.

They should use modified folkstyle rules. That way DT doesn't have to wrestle Dake in neutral and helps reduce the amount of time DT is in the down position. Something like a stalemate call in case DT is in danger of exposure or worse. Action will cease and DT gets the top position to try to erase riding time.

1- Taylor

2- Howe

3- Dake

4- Steiber

5- Ruth

6- Kilgore

7- Oliver

8- McDonough

9- Wright

10- Ramos

First off, Who do you think you are to insult people for their rankings? Should I call Ron Jaworski a hater/moron because he has Matthew Stafford at 13 in his quarterback rankings? I 100% disagree with him and think Stafford should be atleast 6 places higher. That still doesn't make me think he is a moron. There are many compelling arguments to place several wrestlers ahead of Taylor going into next season. Remember, I put Taylor at #2.

Dake is a 3 time champ with multiple marquee wins, INCLUDING a freestyle thumping of Taylor. Taylor has ZERO marquee wins, unless you count Fittery and that is questionable. Howe has wrestled a LAUNDRY LIST of big names in his career, also including a dominant freestyle win over Taylor, and I still think 100% healthy he beats Burroughs at NCAA's. Ruth is so well rounded and he pounded a much deeper weight class nearly as bad as Taylor did.

After the above 3 it is harder to rank Taylor lower but I can see Steiber and Oliver simply because they were the clear top 2 of a brutal, and in my opinion, by far the deepest weight class last year. Kilgore was a beast 2 years ago and his Freestyle accomplishments seem to indicate he has improved considerably since then. Finally, you have a 3 time finalist in McDonough.

The Top 8 or so guys this upcoming year are simply outstanding. That said, I would have no issue with you arguing Taylor over any of the names I have listed. But, to call people haters and morons because of it makes you look like the MORON yourself. Resorting to name calling in an argument negates all your credibility and brings down the person you are arguing for in the first place. Acting the way you did polarizes Taylor on this board and YOU become a part in CREATING the haters of Taylor simply because of your attitude. It happened with Mocco and then again with Metcalf.

Again, remember I put Taylor at #2.

Jesus christ dude the only reason I have to differentiate is because your boy lost!!! Excuse, excuse, excuse. I did my rankings and I stand by them. I could care less what you or anyone thinks of them. I think the fact you have DT #1 shows your inability to look beyond your PSU glasses. I'd venture to guess you don't care what I think either. My rankings are subject to change at any time. DT puts a beating on Dake or Howe and we've got something. I just hope that he doesn't have another weight class like last year to destroy. I'm done with this conversation (for now anyway)it's exhausting, I'll give you the final word.

I had Jesus Christ at #1 in my ranking...I think in a match with Taylor he would just simply have the larger gas tank and take the match to a new level in the 3rd. WIth Dake, I think that Jesus would know he couldn't overpower him and would have to catch him with a quick hip toss (possibily injuring him). Howe is another story though. Knowing Howe's background and style better than he himself does, I think Jesus would put the pressure on sooner rather than later, frustrating Howe, which would ultimately decide the match.

I had Jesus Christ at #1 in my ranking...I think in a match with Taylor he would just simply have the larger gas tank and take the match to a new level in the 3rd. WIth Dake, I think that Jesus would know he couldn't overpower him and would have to catch him with a quick hip toss (possibily injuring him). Howe is another story though. Knowing Howe's background and style better than he himself does, I think Jesus would put the pressure on sooner rather than later, frustrating Howe, which would ultimately decide the match.

I'll take Abe Lincoln over Jesus ... With all respect .... Ruth has nothin' on Abe, when it comes to a Far Side Cradle.... And Taylor would fall victim to that Cradle as well. U ever see a pic of Abe? Long ass arms and hands like a Ham Hocks!

PS ... It's funny how guys get so Butt Hurt, 'cause somebody has a different opinion on who's best. The OP asked, and most guys will have different ideas. And BTW .... FS results means SHEET in my opinion, when applied to Collegiate Style..

Gotta disagree Gonzo ;)

1. Jesus (always dominates every weight class)

2. Dake (way behind #1, but who isn't?)

3. Taylor (much, much better than OTT would indicate)

4. McDonough (2 titles, 3 finals, but still underrated?)

5. Ruth (great year, may climb)

6. Steiber (big talent, auspicious start, may climb)

7. Howe (tough guy, but gone a year)

8. Kilgore (can he hang with this list?)

9. Nelson (may climb if he wrestles up to potential)

10. Oliver (gotta get through someone higher up this list?)

As far as Abe Lincoln, if he's coached by Grant, he makes the list up by McD somewhere (aggressive, "He fights.") If he's coached by McClellan, he doesn't. (No offense.)