Ok...man what a close epic match! Varner wrestled all day and beta the world champ. I think I am comfortable with Varner going but want Snyder.

I just hope Varner competing after this year

It is amazing when the gas tank is empty it is empty. You just can't do anything about it. How big was the bye to the finals here for Snyder? Feel a bit sorry for Varner but glad Snyder is the rep here because I think he matches up just a hair better with the top guys at this weight.

It is amazing when the gas tank is empty it is empty. You just can't do anything about it. How big was the bye to the finals here for Snyder? Feel a bit sorry for Varner but glad Snyder is the rep here because I think he matches up just a hair better with the top guys at this weight.

The bye was big, but I think Kyle would have gassed him by match 2 or 3 anyway. At the end of the first match, Kyle wasn't even pressing the issue very much...like he wanted the third match.  Really,  Varner's beautiful fake one way shoot the other single, which Snyder avoided every time after that, and Varner's gutwrench were the only thing he had the whole three matches.  Honestly I think Kyle has more mental desire to be the world champion and you could kind of read it in their body language.  This isn't to take away from Jake Varner: he is a great champion. 

Varner still good enough to win the right to challenge- so he's the best of the rest. Hope he stays until he slips or at least depending on whether Snyder medals or not, the possible existence of a level playing field next year. Good for wrestling if he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant imagine him staying. Why? I want him to. Guess he could push it one more cycle but he has already won the Olympics. Only 5 guys the last 16 years have done that. He proved he can beat Snyder but even without the bye I go with Snyder. They are razor close and both light years ahead of the rest of the field at 213. He is 30-time to move on after a great career at all levels. Sure an assistant at PSU could persuade him to retire.

Edited by PRyan2012

Varner may have been the best he's EVER been at these trials--including 2012. But he's always had gas tank issues.  Even if both men had come in fresh, that insane first match would have rendered Varner the significant underdog in the final 2 matches.

Edited by maligned

I cant imagine him staying. Why? I want him to. Guess he could push it one more cycle but he has already won the Olympics. Only 5 guys the last 16 years have done that. He proved he can beat Snyder but even without the bye I go with Snyder. They are razor close and both light years ahead of the rest of the field at 213. He is 30-time to move on after a great career at all levels. Sure an assistant at PSU could persuade him to retire.

You're probably right.  Still, can't he get paid for being our number 2 guy?  Can he be a good enough partner that Kyle asks him to help him?  He can still help the USA win gold, even if Jake doesn't get all the glory.  I really like Varner.  I know next year may not happen, but help Kyle this year, then hang them up? 

What a great career, at all levels.   

Hodge, smodge

Jake has the hardware that matters.   

No doubt.  It's doubtful that Snyder himself even gets the Hodge too. Maybe he competes for his full senior season, or most. That would be the only way possible.  Cox could get held out too with all of the PSU guys being such threats.  So really Hodge is like the Heisman or the Hollywood award stuff.