Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

dake is a BEAST

I understand why he was upset about the officiating (especially given how Nashon/Ramos went), but even middle schoolers know better than to yell at the ref during the match. That did not look great for Dake. 

Well he has been on the receiving end of pretty bad officiating. At this point he is probabaly paranoid about US wrestling. Plus it does not help that he had to wrestle a 97 in the 86 finals. 

Plus it does not help that he had to wrestle a 97 in the 86 finals. 

Pretty sure the scale said he was an 86, just like Dake.  And I'm pretty sure that Dake chose to wrestle 86, so you can't really bump up and then complain when your opponent is bigger than you.

Pretty sure the scale said he was an 86, just like Dake.  And I'm pretty sure that Dake chose to wrestle 86, so you can't really bump up and then complain when your opponent is bigger than you.

Does not change the fact that Cox is walking around at 205 while Dake 185 or so when they wrestled. That's why wrestlers cut. 

Edited by straggler

Does not change the fact that Cox is walking around at 205 while Dake 185 or so when they wrestled. That's why wrestlers cut.

And it doesn't change the fact he chose to wrestle this weight knowing all other guys would be cutting down from 197 or more.. Just like it doesn't change the fact they all weighed the same today when the made weight..

i'm incredibly impressed by what Dake did at this tournament. he's one of the best pure wrestlers I have ever seen. I hope he goes back down to 74 because I think he can do damage over seas at that weight. I don't see him being able to compete consistently with elite 86 kg wrestlers but he has the talent to do a lot at 74. 

He gave it a shot, and in my mind he did better than he would have at 74. Worth it even tho he came up short.

I agree. I am not sure what the issue was with the officiating. It's amazing that Dake could come so close with a guy who is two college weights heavier.

In the matches themselves, Dake seemed to be in a defensive crouch.  That's his style, so it's understandable. But Koll (and John Smith in the booth) were both telling him to shoot with a minute left. When he finally did shoot, he got to the leg, but only scored a pushout. Too little too late, but great effort. 

He gave it a shot, and in my mind he did better than he would have at 74. Worth it even tho he came up short.

I agree. I am not sure what the issue was with the officiating. It's amazing that Dake could come so close with a guy who is two college weights heavier.

In the matches themselves, Dake seemed to be in a defensive crouch.  That's his style, so it's understandable. But Koll (and John Smith in the booth) were both telling him to shoot with a minute left. When he finally did shoot, he got to the leg, but only scored a pushout. Too little too late, but great effort. 

JH,

I don't think he has a choice.  This is actually a very well paid career for Burroughs.  Barring injury, he will wrestle through the next Olympic cycle.  Now that Burroughs has perfected the leg lace, he is about as close to unbeatable as it gets.  It's 86kg for Dake, or hang 'em up and start coaching.  Not much you can do when an all-time great is in your weight class!

Try three. Dake was 141-165. J'Den was a HWT prospect who cut down to go 197 his freshman year and decided to stay at 197 this year.

JH,

I don't think he has a choice.  This is actually a very well paid career for Burroughs.  Barring injury, he will wrestle through the next Olympic cycle.  Now that Burroughs has perfected the leg lace, he is about as close to unbeatable as it gets.  It's 86kg for Dake, or hang 'em up and start coaching.  Not much you can do when an all-time great is in your weight class!

no I think he definitely has a choice. and he's definitely had more success against elite 74 kg'ers than 86. he's beaten Tsargush and he is competitive against Burroughs. his best win at 86 is a 21 year old Cox. 

no I think he definitely has a choice. and he's definitely had more success against elite 74 kg'ers than 86. he's beaten Tsargush and he is competitive against Burroughs. his best win at 86 is a 21 year old Cox. 

So you think he has a better chance to beat Burroughs than he does at winning 86kg? ( Also, I say everything while being a big Dake fan.  The guy is awesome and I believe he could medal at 74kg.) The problem is, he will have to do it in a best 2 out of 3 series after having wrestled the challenge tournament.  With all things being equal, winning 2 against Burroughs hasn't happened yet.  Hell Burroughs has only lost twice his whole International career.  And that is with everything being equal.  Add in the bye to the finals and it just isn't going to happen.  That isn't an excuse it is just the simple truth.