Sign in to follow this  
FLONYC13

Ramos post-match interview.

Actually the guy who was there first won.  The old won and the new lost.  

Dennis was there and they went out and recruited Ramos.  Ramos went to Iowa and gave his heart knowing that Dennis was a Hawkeye.  It would be like if Metcalf got mad that Eustace went to Iowa...years before he ever got there.  

Totally different situation then college.  I get you don't like Ramos and agree with you that he comes off a bit babyish but to liken it back that far isn't fair.  Think HWC not Hawkeye Room and Ramos at least has a point.

Totally different situation then college.  I get you don't like Ramos and agree with you that he comes off a bit babyish but to liken it back that far isn't fair.  Think HWC not Hawkeye Room and Ramos at least has a point.

Why should HWC protect Ramos??  He had two shots and couldn't get it done.  Is the goal to win World and Olympic medals or make the team?  I think Ramos was only interested in being an internet warrior.  That is our job.

I've actually always kind of liked Ramos.  He is over the top but I never had any problem with it.  I'm totally neutral on Dennis and was a little disappointed when Ramos lost last night.  I thought he'd been right there a few times with good international guys.  I was rooting for Coleman Scott, but after him, I had no strong feelings about the 57 bracket.  None of my issue with Ramos' comments has anything to do with personal dislike.  And honestly if he is in the bracket for any club next year, I won't feel the need to root against him.  

I just think that when dozens of other guys can compete for the same clubs and have no issues, then Ramos has no point.   Wrestling clubs don't just have 1 guy in each weight.  Neither do MMA teams.  Sometimes it gets awkward when the guy who was a practice dummy challenges the "natural order" of the room.  But almost everyone else in the world is grown up enough to deal with it.  Sometimes you need to leave the club, and sometimes it hurts.  But it's not a betrayal issue when your training partner gets better than you.  

I guess it comes down to this...would he have felt betrayed yesterday if he won?  

I think if he came out last week and said the HWC and Tom Brands are not supporting me I would have listened.  But they supported him enough to carry him to the top of USA wrestling for years of winning, then he loses his first US match and all of a sudden he has been wronged?  He got beat and he doesn't like it, and instead of owning it he is finding someone to blame.   

Edited by boconnell

I've actually always kind of liked Ramos.  He is over the top but I never had any problem with it.  I'm totally neutral on Dennis and was a little disappointed when Ramos lost last night.  I thought he'd been right there a few times with good international guys.  I was rooting for Coleman Scott, but after him, I had no strong feelings about the 57 bracket.  None of my issue with Ramos' comments has anything to do with personal dislike.  

When dozens of other guys can compete for the same clubs and have no issues, then Ramos has no point.   Wrestling clubs don't just have 1 guy in each weight.  Neither do MMA teams.  Sometimes it gets awkward when the guy who was a practice dummy challenges the "natural order" of the room.  But almost everyone else in the world is grown up enough to deal with it.  Sometimes you need to leave the club, and sometimes it hurts.  But it's not a betrayal issue when your training partner gets better than you.  

I guess it comes down to this...would he have felt betrayed yesterday if he won?  

I think if he came out last week and said the HWC and Tom Brands are not supporting me I would have listened.  But they supported him enough to carry him to the top of USA wrestling for years of winning, then he loses his first US match and all of a sudden he has been wronged?  He got beat and he doesn't like it, and instead of owning it he is finding someone to blame.   

If what Ramos said was true and Tom Brands said he would be in his corner, then went the other way than he has a point.

The sad thing about this is a guy gave his heart and soul to the program, and the program went out and recruited the guy, who would eventually knock him off.    It has to hurt.   This is going to run deep.   How would Brent have liked it if they had brought in Pico?  Out with the old, in with the new.  Iowa is headed down now, we've all seen it, and they sold their guy out in order to try and hold on to a sliver of hope.   It's too bad.   Ramos has all my support.   

Troll alert.

One of the most interesting parts of the interview was when he was asked why it was ok that McDonough was there at 57 but not Dennis. He answered that it was because McD never left, but the real answer is that McDonough isn't the one who beat him. Ramos only has a problem with guys who are a threat to him.

Wonder which clubs/coaches will take Ramos under the condition that he has to be the #1 guy? Does he get a right of refusal for letting another guy in the room? If I'm a club with aspirations of matching Iowa's lightweight factory, Ramos may not be the way to go. So I'm partial to the NLWC .... The only way I (I have more hair than Cael, but let's pretend) take Ramos is if he agrees to mentor younger guys and understands when and how he may slip from #1 or fully supports as training partner a guy who beats him. Ramos is a great asset, but he has to give a little back to fit in-many clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder which clubs/coaches will take Ramos under the condition that he has to be the #1 guy? Does he get a right of refusal for letting another guy in the room? If I'm a club with aspirations of matching Iowa's lightweight factory, Ramos may not be the way to go. So I'm partial to the NLWC .... The only way I (I have more hair than Cael, but let's pretend) take Ramos is if he agrees to mentor younger guys and understands when and how he may slip from #1 or fully supports as training partner a guy who beats him. Ramos is a great asset, but he has to give a little back to fit in-many clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Illinois? Good coaches including Hunter who he can roll with, and close to home. I'm sure Perry would love to steal an Iowa guy, too.

I watched the interview last night. What I saw was a guy who was deeply disappointed by his performance and very emotional. And why not? He just lost the slot. If you are normal, it's not only frustrating but there's an element of embarrassment. He lost and not just to anyone. He lost to the guy who was living in his truck and not even wrestling while he was putting in the hours. He lost to the guy that Iowa brought back in. At that moment it was hard for him to see this as anything but a betrayal. I tend to think they will all find a way to calm down and make up. Ramos has a deep and long history with Iowa and a lot of support there. 

How about Illinois? Good coaches including Hunter who he can roll with, and close to home. I'm sure Perry would love to steal an Iowa guy, too.

I could definitely see him in Champaign (he'd be a great workout partner for Richards....plus how great would it be for Tony if he could help mentor an "in your face" win by Richards over Clark @NCAAs) or Blacksburg.  Too much of a powder-keg for Cael and the NLWC.

Edited by gromit

These guys are trying to be the best in the world. Wouldn't you want to train with the best? these 2 guys made each other better. Ramos needs to support Dennis as I am sure Dennis would have supported him. Dennis is the man now. Ramos and the USA need to get behind Daniel Dennis and do anything they can to help him win Olympic Gold!!! Go team USA!!! 

ramos has always been a bit of a petulant child, so, i am not necessarily surprised by this, but, these are the types of things you bring up long before the trials... now it just looks exactly like what it is...

"When angry count to ten before you speak. If very angry, count to one hundred."  Thomas Jefferson

Daniel Dennis didn't just pull up in his old truck to The Hawkeye Wrestling Club Friday, he's been there awhile, but obviously not as long as Tony.  I understand the frustration, but would there be more credence to betrayal comments if TR was wearing HWC gear?

Terry and Tom surely must have spoken with TR by now and hopefully he has a cooler head about the situation (or at least leaving the HWC). I am also under the impression that Tony's scorched earth strategy may not work simply because his antics in college may have made him a lot of enemies, so his options for another club could be limited.

The worst part about all this, and maybe it was Tony's intention, is that it takes a lot of positive attention away from Dan Dennis' story and our celebration of what he accomplished. 😓