Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

John Smith said we need to change folk rules

During his broadcast he said something along the lines of this "I think we need to make the folkstyle rules closer to freestyle, it will be better for our country"

I completely agree and I hope continues this rhetoric and is a leading voice in this charge, someone with his power could do a lot to hasten a change for the better.

Which rules? 1992 or 1996 or 2000 or 2004 or 2008 or 2012 or current? Or some of the iterations in between? Ones that involve winning 2 of 3 rounds? Ball grab/ coin flip into cinch? One that encourages intentionally forcing opponent out of bounds (cost Dake. Had he tried to keep Cox in and converts TD he probably wins, but he hasn't been working to keep opponent in bounds).

Which rules? 1992 or 1996 or 2000 or 2004 or 2008 or 2012 or current? Or some of the iterations in between? Ones that involve winning 2 of 3 rounds? Ball grab/ coin flip into cinch? One that encourages intentionally forcing opponent out of bounds (cost Dake. Had he tried to keep Cox in and converts TD he probably wins, but he hasn't been working to keep opponent in bounds).

its not that hard to figure out which ones Smith is talking about. ones that would help Americans compete internationally. 

Dake chose to take Cox out of bounds because he had doubts that he could take him down.  He chose the safer option for less points.  If he chose the riskier option and succeeded then he would have been awarded with more points and possibly the win. The current rules are the rules and Dake lost fair and square two times. 

its freestyle that needs to change to be more like folkstyle.... i count say this enough its freestyle that does not make sense to the average fan. I am happy metcalf lost, but your telling me molinaro is the better wrestler, metclaf slipped and fell and his back was exposed. Thatst two points for molinaro?

or JB leglacing howe? how does leg lacing/rolling around established someone is a better wrestler?

its freestyle that needs to change to be more like folkstyle.... i count say this enough its freestyle that does not make sense to the average fan. I am happy metcalf lost, but your telling me molinaro is the better wrestler, metclaf slipped and fell and his back was exposed. Thatst two points for molinaro?

or JB leglacing howe? how does leg lacing/rolling around established someone is a better wrestler?

Metcalf didn't slip and fall, watch that again and see Molinaro's hand grabbing metcalf wrist and turning him while taking advantage of the momentum.

Metcalf didn't slip and fall, watch that again and see Molinaro's hand grabbing metcalf wrist and turning him while taking advantage of the momentum.

point being... i dont understnad how freestlye back exposure establishes who is a better wrestler... the same can be said for folkstyle back exposure, but at least folkstyle is pinning combinations

point being... i dont understnad how freestlye back exposure establishes who is a better wrestler... the same can be said for folkstyle back exposure, but at least folkstyle is pinning combinations

Freestyle back exposure (not just this) establishes who is the better wrestler within the rules of FS, but not in folkstyle rules (near-fall is back exposure, but it's different and you get my point), and who is wrestling in this style knows the rules, being able to try to take advantage of that or avoid the adversary to take advantage of that. Riding time and escape (and not just these, again) establishes who is the better wrestler within the rules of folkstyle, but not in FS rules.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

USA is the only country wrestling Folkstyle - but the rest of the world should modify Freestyle to be more like Folkstyle?

Really...?

mega troll

I completely agree with Smith. Freestyle in its current state is simply a superior product for fans. Much more exciting and easier to understand. I would miss the classic mat wrestling of folkstyle, but I think what you gain (focus on exposures) versus what you give up makes for a good trade-off.

It's not just Smith who's said this recently. JB has stated several times that he thinks we should move to freestyle altogether.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

This discussion was brought up on theopenmat. It isn't just the style of wrestling, it is the whole wrestling culture that is vastly different between the US and former Soviet states. Changing over to freestyle domestically will not necessarily be the magic bullet that some think it would be.

If someone "slips and falls" as you call it in any form of wrestling, their opponent can capitalize to score points. I just watched the sequence again- if someone shoots in folkstyle and you hip into them how Molinaro did and they go off balance, people score takedowns in that scenario all the time. Since this was a freestyle match Molinaro was not necessarily concerned about "control", he went for exposure.

Exposure like the Metcalf situation or JB's leg lace would not establish someone as a better folkstyle wrestler, hence why you don't see people rolling around repeatedly in folkstyle. But they clearly do establish someone as better in freestyle, and it sounds like you aren't too familiar with that style of wrestling

We are about to lose a whole generation of international wrestling knowledge. It is already very obvious we don't have nearly the level of technique of wrestlers from the 80s and 90s. If we don't reverse this trend we won't be competitive in another 10 years.

When you are wrestling FS, you know the back exposure rules.  So you don't expose your back if you want to win.  That said, I really don't like the new leglace rule allowing a win on one hold like that.  Two scores with one hold should be the rule in my opinion.

I also think FS needs to allow more par terre time.  The 10-15 seconds they allow now is not enough time to get something going in my opinion.  For Americans, it is more than enough because we can't do par terre that effectively.  But Bouvaissa would set up the Navy ride(?) and that would take a bit of time.  But once set, he was pretty effective with it in turning people.  But in the current state, there is not enough time to do it.  I like mat wrestling as well as neutral.  I think FS should allow wrestlers to focus on that a bit more.  Like they used to. 

mspart