Sign in to follow this  
Powerline

Off all the great stories this weekend, got to give props to Dake

Sometimes, I'm not sure he get's the respect he deserves, but to go up to from a 165 lbs as an NCAA champion to an Olympic Trials finalist at 190 lbs a few short year later is pretty amazing. That's a big difference is size, strategy, etc. but he almost pulled it off.

Timing with Burroughs catching once in a 50 year fire sucks for Dake, but that is life. But it also shows how weak 85KG is in the US as well. It will be interesting to see what transpires for Burroughs, Dake, and Magic Man up to 2020.

The old 82KG weight might have been more ideal for Dake, big difference between 180 and 190.

I agree that Dake gets credit.  I'm not exactly a fan of Dake, but I have to admit, what he has been able to accomplish is nearing, has already reached, unprecedented status.  He may be the best wrestler to never represent the US at the Olympics or World Championships. 

4x NCAA Champion at 4 different weights - 141, 149, 157, 165

WTT / OTT Top 3 at 2 different weights - 74k (163lbs); 86kg (189lbs)

In a matter of 7 years, his weight class has jumped by 45 pounds (or 32% of his initial weight class weight). 

To be THAT good, across so many weight classes, and so many competitors that are TRAINING to be at their respective weight PURPOSEFULLY is mind boggling.  I couldn't begin to comprehend what that amount of talent and natural capability must feel like. 

The issue?  Burroughs.  The other issue?  He's still not quite big enough for 86kg.  Maybe he'll toss his hat in the ring for Greco at 75kg or something after this cycle? 

Dake has plenty of haters. He is an unbelievable athlete, but more impressive is his mental strength. He is the mentally toughest SOB I've ever watched in wrestling.

I think people generally fail to appreciate how incredibly proficient you have to be in all positions to be able to wrestle guys who are 20-25 lbs heavier than you when you are of average height. Dake weighs 185 after a good breakfast. Cox weighed 196-197 the day before weigh-ins while watching his weight to prepare for the final cut (he states this in the post-match interview). He must've been a good 25 lbs heavier than Dake by the finals.

These are not excuses. Dake chose to go up and made his bed. But we can and should marvel at how he was able to nearly defeat such a bigger opponent after beating Perry, who was coming off a victory against a world medalist, and a larger DT, who is now up to 196 and therefore has a legit cut to make 189.

I remember having trouble wrestling guys 8 lbs heavier than me. I can't imagine how insanely good you have to be to take out elite competition giving up 2-3x that much.

While on that topic, that gives you some perspective on how incredible JB is to be able to send a guy like that on mission impossible up 26 lbs away from him.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Wish we had more top tier guys like Dake wrestle Greco. I think he would have had a much better shot at a more natural weight. Marable and Howe are 2 others. Still bummed that Q did not give Greco a legit shot. 

Guest Kingsland

Wish we had more top tier guys like Dake wrestle Greco. I think he would have had a much better shot at a more natural weight. Marable and Howe are 2 others. Still bummed that Q did not give Greco a legit shot.

Even then he'd have Bisek at his weight who is the best Greco wrestler in America.

Edited by Kingsland

Dake has plenty of haters. He is an unbelievable athlete, but more impressive is his mental strength. He is the mentally toughest SOB I've ever watched in wrestling.

I think people generally fail to appreciate how incredibly proficient you have to be in all positions to be able to wrestle guys who are 20-25 lbs heavier than you when you are of average height. Dake weighs 185 after a good breakfast. Cox weighed 196-197 the day before weigh-ins while watching his weight to prepare for the final cut (he states this in the post-match interview). He must've been a good 25 lbs heavier than Dake by the finals.

These are not excuses. Dake chose to go up and made his bed. But we can and should marvel at how he was able to nearly defeat such a bigger opponent after beating Perry, who was coming off a victory against a world medalist, and a larger DT, who is now up to 196 and therefore has a legit cut to make 189.

I remember having trouble wrestling guys 8 lbs heavier than me. I can't imagine how insanely good you have to be to take out elite competition giving up 2-3x that much.

While on that topic, that gives you some perspective on how incredible JB is to be able to send a guy like that on mission impossible up 26 lbs away from him.

I think rules of wrestling a rested Burroughs after the challenge tournament sent dake up in weight more than anything else.

If that's his max weight, I wouldn't call it a legit cut. That's not drinking water after one workout.

Not sure what his max weight is. He said he wanted to get to 210-215. That's just what he weighed before the weigh-in. He said he had gained a lot of lean muscle since before he was in the 190s but fatter.

The point is Dake after sweating from his first match was probably around 183ish.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

If he can figure out how to put the weight on the right way (what ever that may be) without adding too much bulky muscle I think he's our guy for 2020

He needs to hang or with Gabe Dean some more. They're about the same height but Dean is a legit 86 kg'er.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Not sure what his max weight is. He said he wanted to get to 210-215. That's just what he weighed before the weigh-in. He said he had gained a lot of lean muscle since before he was in the 190s but fatter.

The point is Dake after sweating from his first match was probably around 183ish.

Geez, he should have drank some water.    

Dehydrating like that, mid tournament is not good.   Might have affected his finals performance   

Hardly anyone "expected" Cox to beat Dake.

Props to Cox.

Right.  Dake lovers are as bad as Taylor lovers.

Cox practiced for 2 weeks and beat Dake.  Lets see some stories about him (Cox).  Enough with the "he's wrestling 200 lbs above his natural weight" stuff already.  Dake's gotten plenty of accolades...and deservedly so.  He lost.  Let's love the winner. 

Hardly anyone "expected" Cox to beat Dake.

Props to Cox.

Well then, that explains the animosity. I 100% expected Cox to beat Dake, so I'm not having too much trouble giving Dake the "at a boy" here. That's quite a bit of weight to give up. While I'm at it - "at a boy Taylor, too". That's quite a weight jump to adjust to. These guys are both impressive.

All that being said, I think Cox won because he is simply the best at this weight.