Sign in to follow this  
VakAttack

Ramos giving a radio interview now

Not a whole lot.  He didn't take anything back he said.  Felt it wasn't handled well.  Says he was planning on leaving win or lose.  Hasn't talked to Tom or Dennis.  Terry came over to his house and talked to him late into the night.  He's still leaving.  Hasn't decide where, but he's been contacted several times already.

Says this didn't qualify as iron sharpens iron because they didn't actually train together by the end.  Says he's sure in the end he and Tom can forgive each other and have a good relationship, but he has to leave now.  

Radio guys tried to get him to say that Iowa was falling apart, that they're missing something and that a change in coaches was needed, but Ramos didn't bite there.  Did kind of take a veiled shot when he was asked "has Tom lost control of things" and Ramos said something like "You all can formulate your own opinions about that."  Did say he was rooting for all Team USA guys to win gold, including Dennis.

Other things

-People have been contacting him all day about clubs/etc but he isn't ready to show his card yet.

-He was leaving win/lose just because he wasn't happy with the situation that he was put in.

-Said that he liked Terry Brands but that Tom Brands was more of a Blue Falcon than a Hawkeye

I don't get the Blue Falcon reference. 

What can other clubs offer ? What do the athletes at the RTC's get ? 

Who broad are the deals that they can work out ? Are all athletes at a single RTC compensated the same or does each work out their own deal or terms ? 

Edited by jstock

I don't get the Blue Falcon reference. 

What can other clubs offer ? What do the athletes at the RTC's get ? 

Who broad are the deals that they can work out ? Are all athletes at a single RTC compensated the same or does each work out their own deal or terms ? 

A blue falcon is someone who screws over their buddy... 

A lot of sh$% has been going down behind the scenes for a long time it seems.  You can tell he was upset with others in the room etc....a sad ending to a storied Hawkeye career.

He'll move on as will everyone else. 

I really like Ramos and I'm hoping he's able to get things right in his head about betrayal, perhaps a fear of abandonment, and just the heart break of his guys hanging him out to dry.  He's hurting pretty bad right now, and obviously his time at Iowa is done.   I'd love to see him emerge somewhere that's going to teach him the high level technique that's been missing in his game.   Ramos at OSU, or NLWC, that could be fun to see his development.   He's got another cycle left in him, and I'm hoping he chooses his next stop wisely.   

Maybe he will travel the world with Valentin Kalika or someone like that similar to Pico? Very hands on 1 on 1 approach, as opposed to being part of a big club.

He is going to really need to step up his sponsorship funding if that is the case with a wife and kid. HWC was paying him a $2000/month stipend to live and train in Iowa City.

Maybe he will travel the world with Valentin Kalika or someone like that similar to Pico? Very hands on 1 on 1 approach, as opposed to being part of a big club.

It's not a big club. It's 6 guys.

It's not a big club. It's 6 guys.

Maybe I should have worded that different....in addition to the 6 guys on the club, the Brands Brothers also have to coach the U of I as well. Whereas, a "personal coach" doesn't have to divvy his time that way.

I like that idea... Perhaps after Pico's development and success, it might be more of a serious consideration. Making money will always play a factor though.

I would guess OSU and NLWC are out of the picture with Tomasello and Megaludis there for the long haul. Tony doesn't seem keen on sharing coaches or resources with guys in his weight class. ASU has Ali Naser down there as well.

OSU = Oklahoma State University

He seems keen enough on the sharing and resources. He mentioned McDonough and the other guy they have over there.   Didn't seem to bother him one bit.     As I understand it, his issue is the coach going out and recruiting a guy who eventually knocks him off.  That and the dishonesty about how things would work.   I can't imagine any of us being ok with being lied to and hug out to dry in favor of the new blood.    Of course he could have meant something different, when he stated as much.   

wow! it is free???????? i thought than all not-free in USA  :) 

If Bernie Sanders gets in, every thing will be free in USA.    Those of us who work and operate businesses go on supporting the freeloaders.    Abdullah, lets hope Trump get s in and puts an end to this madness.