Sign in to follow this  
GoNotQuietly

Qualifying Tournaments FAQ: Please read before posting about qualiers

There are about a billion threads/posts asking basically the same questions so let's clear a few things up.  Alternatively, everything you want to know about the Olympic procedures is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

Q: Can we send more than one wrestler at each weight?

A: No, each country can send only one representative to try to qualify their nation

Q: Can we send a different representative than the OTT Champion

A: No, USAW guidelines dictate that the OTT Champion will be the representative, barring injury

Q: If the OTT Champ is injured, and the alternative wrestler qualifies the weight, who goes?

A: The OTT Champ will be the Olympic representative unless they are unable to compete at the games due to injury

Q: When/Where are the qualifying tournaments?

A: 1st World Qualification Tournament is April 22-24 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

2nd World Qualification Tournament is May 6-8 in Istanbul Turkey

Q: Which Weights does the USA still have to qualify?

A: Men's Freestyle: 65kgs, 86kgs

Women's Freestyle: 48kgs, 53kgs, 58kgs, 69kgs

Men's Greco:  59kgs, 66kgs, 98kgs

Q: What do our wrestlers have to place in order to qualify the weight?

A:  Men's Freestyle and Greco: Mongolia: Top 3 Istanbul: Top 2

Women's Freestyle: Mongolia: Top 2 Istanbul: Top 2

Q: Who will they have to wrestle at these tournaments?

A: Countries who have already qualified can NOT send a representative to these tournaments.  The European regional tournament is this weekend, so we will know more after that, but you can see the list of current qualifiers here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification#Men.27s_freestyle_events

Q: Can we get all of these weights qualified?

A: It is going to be extremely tough with the reduction in weight classes squeezing the world's best into very limited spots, but our athletes are tough as nails and we put together a phenomenal team at the Trials this weekend.  Best of luck, and safe travels Team USA!

Please post any other questions here, and someone much more knowledgeable than me will most likely answer them.

Cheers,

Carlo

Edited by GoNotQuietly

so which 5 wrestlers should we send at 65kg? the more wrestlers the better the odds. maybe we should send 12?

Can we send more than one wrestler at each weight?

A: No, each country can send only one representative to try to qualify their nation

Edited by MadMardigain

so which 5 wrestlers should we send at 65kg? the more wrestlers the better the odds. maybe we should send 12?

we send more than one wrestler at each weight?

no idea what you're trying to say here

Great thread, thanks for sharing the info. 

I know it would never happen for a multitude of reasons, but as a purely hypothetically scenario - if Cox can't get a passport in time can we legally send Burroughs to qualify 86?  

No problem, the great wiki made it pretty easy.

As far as sending Burroughs, I'm not positive, but I think that is covered by this:

"Wrestlers who qualified quota places for their NOC at the 2015 World Championship and the 2016 Continental Qualification tournaments will not have the right to take part in this 3rd qualification phase."

That seems to be specific to the wrestler and not the weight class.

Serious question

Are these at scratch weight or is there an allowance?

Good question, I would definitely expect scratch weigh ins.  Also, I haven't been able to figure out the "Repechage" in the qualifier which takes the top 3 will work.

Edited by GoNotQuietly