Sign in to follow this  
GoNotQuietly

Qualifying Tournaments FAQ: Please read before posting about qualiers

What if molinaro fails to qualify and pico qualifies for Mexico, can be then switch back to the US and wrestle for us in rio?

No, because he would qualify Mexico the country, not himself.  However, Molinaro could beat Pico at the Mexican Olympic Trials and take his spot, if he pays off the right people presumably.

Good question, I would definitely expect scratch weigh ins.  Also, I haven't been able to figure out the "Repechage" in the qualifier which takes the top 3 will work.

They'll do the same "follow the leader" repechage as always, which produces the typical two 3rd place guys from both sides of the bracket.  Then, the two repechage winners wrestle each other for the "true 3rd" spot.

Example:

finalist from top bracket beats 4 guys on his way to the finals.

R32 loser vs. R16 loser...winner vs. R8 loser...winner vs. Semi-final loser...winner = "standard" international 3rd place #1

finalist from bottom bracket beats 4 guys also

R32 loser vs. R16 loser...winner vs. R8 loser...winner vs. semi-final loser...winner = "standard" international 3rd place #2

The two "standard" 3rd place guys then wrestle each other for a genuine 3rd place slot.

Edited by maligned

Q: Can we send a different representative than the OTT Champion

A: No, USAW guidelines dictate that the OTT Champion will be the representative, barring injury

Great post.

Are you sure your answer above applies to Turkey? 

I thought I heard/read one of the USA coaches saying that the OTT champ would go to Mongolia (barring injury).  When asked a follow-up question about who would go to Turkey, he said something to the effect that "We will cross that bridge when we get to it."  Could be that he didn't know a rule had been established for Turkey too.  But also could me that USA Wrestling wanted to give themselves flexibility in sending someone else to Turkey should the OTT champ be burnt out from having to make weight so many times in such a short period of time.

Edited by Angry_Fish

Great post.

Are you sure your answer above applies to Turkey? 

I thought I heard/read one of the USA coaches saying that the OTT champ would go to Mongolia (barring injury).  When asked a follow-up question about who would go to Turkey, he said something to the effect that "We will cross that bridge when we get to it."  Could be that he didn't know a rule had been established for Turkey too.  But also could me that USA Wrestling wanted to give themselves flexibility in sending someone else to Turkey should the OTT champ be burnt out from having to make weight so many times in such a short period of time.

Now that I'm reading the rules again, I guess it is somewhat open to interpretation if the coaches really saw a pressing need to replace the athlete, as long as the other guy had been going to the camps and stuff (also it would default to the placement at OTTs).  However, I would question the motivation this athlete would have to qualify the weight without being able to be the rep at Rio.

"The winner of the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials - Wrestling tournament will then compete in the qualifying event(s) listed above. If for any reason the Olympic Trials winner is unable to compete in the event(s) listed above, a replacement will be determined in accordance with 4.1.1. In any case, if the weight category is qualified via the event(s) listed above, the winner of the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials – Wrestling will be USA Wrestling’s designee for the 2016 Olympics, regardless of who qualifies the weight category. "

“If for any reason a replacement athlete is needed for the World Olympic Games

qualifying tournament(s) listed at the end of 1.3., the next ranked athlete from trials at the weight category in question will be selected, up to and including the fourth-ranked athlete,from the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials – Wrestling provided the replacement is substantially completing the requirements of the

Olympic Team Training Camp (see Section 9) as determined by the National Coach.”

From: http://content.themat.com/forms/2016-critieria-MFS.pdf

Do we know this or are we assuming? I assume the same but...

Does the software involved allow for this option?

I've been told that the way that maligned described was used during the selection process in 2012.  I would have to look it up to confirm, but he knows his stuff.

I've been told that the way that maligned described was used during the selection process in 2012. I would have to look it up to confirm, but he knows his stuff.

I'm pretty confident that's is what I recall from the 2012. So I would think it is likely they will keep that part of the process the same.

Having a blind draw into a bracket without seeding and follow the leader style bracketing rarely, or dare I say NEVER gives you the BEST top 3! This is for an Olympic berth for cripes sake I wish UWW would remove there heads from there rectums and make it a traditional style bracket for the best case scenerio that the best 3 guys qualify..Not saying to seed but let the first rd losers have a crack at wrestling back thru the consis

it's not supposed to give you the BEST top 3. it's supposed to get a wide variety of qualifying nations. you can still control your destiny as a wrestler though. Just need to make the finals. 

if you really wanted to find the BEST wrestlers, you wouldn't use the American system either. you'd use multiple round robins. but that takes too long and would cost way too much money. 

The timing of the European qualifier being one week before Mongolia should give the U.S. athletes a little less of a minefield to traverse. I think the Euro athletes who don't qualify their nations would be more likely to get the extra week to work off the weight and go to Istanbul. 

Nothing concrete, just an observation. 

it's not supposed to give you the BEST top 3. it's supposed to get a wide variety of qualifying nations. you can still control your destiny as a wrestler though. Just need to make the finals. 

if you really wanted to find the BEST wrestlers, you wouldn't use the American system either. you'd use multiple round robins. but that takes too long and would cost way too much money. 

Exactly.  The Olympic Committee puts more value on representation by a wide range of countries.  That was one of the issues with wrestling being cut from the Olympics.  If we really wanted the BEST wrestlers, we would allow wrestlers to qualify as individuals (with a per country cap) like they do in many sports, like track and field.  

Exactly.  The Olympic Committee puts more value on representation by a wide range of countries.  That was one of the issues with wrestling being cut from the Olympics.  If we really wanted the BEST wrestlers, we would allow wrestlers to qualify as individuals (with a per country cap) like they do in many sports, like track and field.  

funny how the sports that allow multiple individual competitors in events (swimming and T&F) are sports in which the USA excels ;)

funny how the sports that allow multiple individual competitors in events (swimming and T&F) are sports in which the USA excels ;)

I also seem to recall that there are different qualifying times for different nations in both those sports so more countries can have participants

The timing of the European qualifier being one week before Mongolia should give the U.S. athletes a little less of a minefield to traverse. I think the Euro athletes who don't qualify their nations would be more likely to get the extra week to work off the weight and go to Istanbul.

Nothing concrete, just an observation.

Good point, they might send their #2 to Mongolia and #1 to turkey

Having the brackets for the 1st day, some countries already sent their 2nd string wrestlers to Serbia probably saving their best for Mongolia, I mean in Greco, while in freestyle I see all remaining notable wrestlers in the competition.