Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

OTC

It's difficult to ignore that no resident athletes from the OTC placed in Freestyle at the OTT this year. Is the importance and trust of coaching at the OTC diminished since Zeke, Kevin or Terry left? The last resident athlete to have an impact in Freestyle was Henry Cejudo back in 2008. Other than training camps, what function does the OTC serve Freestyle wrestling in America anymore? What does the future hold?

lots of the women still train there full time... quite a few greco guys train there full time and the ft carson greco guys are starting to travel back and forth with regularity... the OTC still has camps that all the top of the food chain guys come and train at... the OTC hosts camps and houses the coaches for the cadet/junior national teams... it still provides quite a bit of value...

The focus on bringing all the athletes on the men's side to one place is gone. Zeke kind of changed the planning, giving the athletes the ability to train in situations where they're more comfortable with their staffs vs. forcing everyone to one place. The OTC, at least for Greco and Women, is a different landscape. Although pretty sure Kilgore is still an OTC athlete. Their "club" designation on the brackets isn't the sole place. Just because someone's Sunkist means they train in Tempe. 

I'm sorry if I confused anyone. I was speaking about men's Freestyle only. I recognize that both women and Greco-Roman make their home bases at the OTC.

Thanks for bringing up Kilgore, Jason. I had overlooked him. However, one out of 24 place winners bolsters my original post. Yes, I understand that the idea is that athletes train in the environment that they feel is most conducive to their individual success, but at what point does the OTC serve a purpose for men's Freestyle if almost no one wants to train there full-time under the national team coaches? What does that say about USAW and the staff they have chosen, in regards to their ability to develop numerous contenders, even on a national level?

I'm sorry if I confused anyone. I was speaking about men's Freestyle only. I recognize that both women and Greco-Roman make their home bases at the OTC.

Thanks for bringing up Kilgore, Jason. I had overlooked him. However, one out of 24 place winners bolsters my original post. Yes, I understand that the idea is that athletes train in the environment that they feel is most conducive to their individual success, but at what point does the OTC serve a purpose for men's Freestyle if almost no one wants to train there full-time under the national team coaches? What does that say about USAW and the staff they have chosen, in regards to their ability to develop numerous contenders, even on a national level?

I think it is too early to say for sure but comparing 2008 to 2012 results, I think it has worked out well. The number of athletes that are competing over seas seems to be greater than back when there was more of an emphasis on OTC training and the results over seas seems to be better.

the OTC is not only concerned about men's freestyle... i assume you understand it is also not just a wrestling facility...

plus, the national coaches have to be based out of somewhere... i imagine their roles are much more administrative than actually coaching up individuals and it should be... all of the national team members congregate there several times a year for team camps... where else would it make sense to do this?

the OTC is not only concerned about men's freestyle... i assume you understand it is also not just a wrestling facility...

plus, the national coaches have to be based out of somewhere... i imagine their roles are much more administrative than actually coaching up individuals and it should be... all of the national team members congregate there several times a year for team camps... where else would it make sense to do this?

I would think that you could hire one of these guys who are successfully running an RTC or, as many of the old heads would like, hire Gable or maybe even Bobby Douglas and let them stay where they are. If the head coaching gig is indeed primarily administrative and there are not many MFS guys training full-time at the OTC, then who cares where the head coach is located?