Sign in to follow this  
fadzaev2

The duckunder as a skill

Personally, I think the duckunder is a huge skill.......essential to to hi- crotch, the double leg and as a takedown itself.......the thread on Randy Lewis wrestling Ricky Delagatta reminded me of it, but, if you watch John Smith and some of his proteges', as well as John Fritz vs. Pat Milkovich, among others, the duckunder is a HUGE setup/takedown. Thoughts from others.....I would actually consider it a basic skill in wrestling.

I've spent this entire season trying to shake our heavyweight out of using the headlock as his only move(he gives up points everytime he tries to throw it) and get him to work on the duckunder instead. Everyday I work with him on it but he just has a brain fart everytime on the mat and never hits it when it's there all day long. It's such a good move, especially for a big guy.

Personally, I think the duckunder is a hugh skill.......essential to to hi- crotch, the double leg and as a takedown itself.......the thread on Randy Lewis wrestling Ricky Delagatta reminded me of it, but, if you watch John Smith and some of his proteges', as well as John Fritz vs. Pat Milkovich, among others, the duckunder is a HUGH setup/takedown. Thoughts from others.....I would actually consider it a basic skill in wrestling.

Who is this guy Hugh that you talk about?

I went to a Minnesota camp with Melvin Douglas as a guest coach and I would not have been half the wrestler I was in high school without the duck under. Melvin is the guy who sparked that interest. He had some nasty stuff he did with duckunders. Regular duck, misdirection duck, set ups for high crotches and sweep singles, etc....such a great move. My team drilled the duck under just as much as we did doubles and singles. The thing I love so much about it is it can make a slow wrestler fast. Once you have that muscle memory and have the "feel" for it, you can hit it lightning fast.

I'm not so high about the"super-duck". It just seems like one of those moves that coaches should not be teaching new wrestlers. Kind of like a spadel...a new kid sees a stud hit it and then they go out trying it all the time. Maybe it's just me because I could never hit it.

While I completely agree on the "duckunder" being a vital aspect of any wrestlers bag of tricks on their feet, I disagree about the superduck or even the spladle.

If most old school coaches will just stress the fundementals and basics, they are selling those wrestlers short in my opinion. Take the spladle for example. The setup for this move is when wrestler A shoots a head inside single and sits there with the leg while wrestler B fights to defend the single. If wrestle A continues to sit and fight in this position, he is suceptible to the spladle. Finishes need to be done quickly, or head needs to not stay buried to defend against the spladle. Some wrestlers, I have seen this first hand, stick that leg out saying "come take a single leg, I am going to spladle you."

If a coach chooses not to teach their wrestlers the spladle and a wrestler find themselves caught in that position, they are left to say "what the heck happened out there, I had a good shot, I even had control of his leg and before I knew it I was on my back wondering what the eff just happened," see: (Darrion Caldwell versus Brent Metcalf). If they know what that position feels like ahead of time and they find themselves there in a match, they are more likely to not get hit with that spladle, IMO. The superduck can be looked at similarly, teach it, so you know how to defend it, or atleast have a more optimal opporunity to defend against it.

Why not show wrestlers everything you have when it comes to wrestling and let them pick and choose from that, to be their strengths, instead of just saying, "that spladle is a junk move, we just aren't going to get caught in it." With an approach and attitude like that, you most certainly would at some point.

Melvin Douglas had a good duckunder for sure. I preferred the way Nate Carr hit it. Nate had a similar style as Melvin, often not going to his knees at all when hitting the duck, but I thought he finished it better, often taking guys right to their backs. My favorite variation of his duck was when he would fake to one side, hit the duck on the other side, and then body lock to the original side for a throw. One of the baddest moves in wrestling when hit correctly.

IMO the duckunder is one of the best "feeling" moves when set up & hit correctly. Kinda like hitting the sweet spot in baseball or a perfect golf swing from the tee.

Heavy on the head, heavy on the head, pop, duck & feel the opponent drop as you are already behind & in control. Another reason why I always loved the duck was because as you hit it, you are already in your claw ride from the head pressure.

Ness used some sort of misdirection duck on Dennis to setup his last second score if I remember right.

I think you're correct. I believe Ness faked a duck (or a single leg?) to his right. It was real fast and I thought he either had the leg or could have gotten it. Whichever, Dennis countered by circling right.

Then Ness quickly switched off and hit the duck to his left, body-locked Dennis, and then took him

to his back. One of the sweetest set-ups I've seen, and one of the most exciting NCAA finals' finishes.

i feel as though i pretty much mastered the duck under art in HS and could make it work against anyone, was my go to move through college too... what makes it such a great takedown is that it alleviates the need to fight for a take down on a leg attack. You're behind your opponent so quickly, there's no fight. 2!

Well VQ I agree on your point that wrestlers should be taught how to stay out of a spladel and super duck, but don't think it should be high on the priority list for a first year wrestler. Because to teach them the counter first you have to teach them the move and you could be opening a bag of worms, as you alleviated to with the kid who sticks his leg out so he can hit a spladel.(or waving his arm out and getting out of position in the case of a super duck). I have always coached new wrestlers to stay in good position and getting to your finish immediately. If they successfully do that then it will take care of itself. Sure they may get hit with some crazy move they have not seen, at which point I show/tell them what they could have done to stay out of it.

Well VQ I agree on your point that wrestlers should be taught how to stay out of a spladel and super duck, but don't think it should be high on the priority list for a first year wrestler. Because to teach them the counter first you have to teach them the move and you could be opening a bag of worms, as you alleviated to with the kid who sticks his leg out so he can hit a spladel.(or waving his arm out and getting out of position in the case of a super duck). I have always coached new wrestlers to stay in good position and getting to your finish immediately. If they successfully do that then it will take care of itself. Sure they may get hit with some crazy move they have not seen, at which point I show/tell them what they could have done to stay out of it.

Sorry for the reposts guys. Don't know how it happened. I guess I was just trying to really drive my points home. Lol j/k

No worries, the extra posts just show how you feel about this topic!;) I agree a first year wrestler, teaching the basics, but beyond that, sky is the limit! Why not give them EVERYTHING you have, then they can pick and choose.

Personally, I think the duckunder is a huge skill.......essential to to hi- crotch, the double leg and as a takedown itself.......the thread on Randy Lewis wrestling Ricky Delagatta reminded me of it, but, if you watch John Smith and some of his proteges', as well as John Fritz vs. Pat Milkovich, among others, the duckunder is a Huge setup/takedown. Thoughts from others.....I would actually consider it a basic skill in wrestling.

Who is this guy Hugh that you talk about?

You got me good, especially for an all "A" speller.....HUGE!!!!! ;)

Melvin Douglas had a good duckunder for sure. I preferred the way Nate Carr hit it. Nate had a similar style as Melvin, often not going to his knees at all when hitting the duck, but I thought he finished it better, often taking guys right to their backs. My favorite variation of his duck was when he would fake to one side, hit the duck on the other side, and then body lock to the original side for a throw. One of the baddest moves in wrestling when hit correctly.

I forgot about Nate's duck to a bodylock on the opposite side....he was awesome with it.....won him the World Cup one year!