Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

Trevor Noah, this is not funny...

what's he apologizing for? He's a comedian. His job is to tell jokes. 

I enjoyed the reverse cow girl bit he led off with. also "Ol' Dirty Hastert". 

anyway, I'm sure wrestling coaches didn't appreciate that one dig but they're in the same boat as Catholic Priests, Boy Scout Troopmasters and the Penn State football program. better to roll with the punches then protest too much. 

what's he apologizing for? He's a comedian. His job is to tell jokes. 

I enjoyed the reverse cow girl bit he led off with. also "Ol' Dirty Hastert". 

anyway, I'm sure wrestling coaches didn't appreciate that one dig but they're in the same boat as Catholic Priests, Boy Scout Troopmasters and the Penn State football program. better to roll with the punches then protest too much.

I am not arguing that the joke was out of bounds. But I could name a few dozen abuse incidents involving scout masters and clergy. Have there been a lot involving "former high school wrestling coaches"? How did wrestling coaches end up in the same category for comedians as Catholic priests?

I am not arguing that the joke was out of bounds. But I could name a few dozen abuse incidents involving scout masters and clergy. Have there been a lot involving "former high school wrestling coaches"? How did wrestling coaches end up in the same category for comedians as Catholic priests?

I blame the singlet! 

I really don't know but the joke landed so thats the stereotype we're stuck with for now. 

He has a very valid point about the recliner - did no other adult see that?  No athlete mentioned it to someone outside of the team?? 

Did this team have their own separate locker room?  Our high school practices ended about the same time as basketballs, we were usually in the locker room at similar times.  What about other teams, I don't know what other sports are winter sports in Illinois but some states/areas of states have swimming and soccer in the winter.  So weird that no one said anything about that.

"He used to be a wrestling coach (or other sport)..." is a common introduction for people that are/were athletic coaches and are facing criminal charges or accused of crimes.  Same if they are/were an athlete. 

He also made a joke about wanting Paul Ryan to sit on his face.  Dude is a comedian, no surprise he goes for the easy gay jokes.  One would think with all the SJWs running around and PC police those types of jokes would be rarer.  

edit:  wrote "Tom Ryan" instead of "Paul Ryan", maybe I should have left it as is.

Edited by OBJoeB

Because it is an easy joke.  Physical contact with another guy = gayness, and is okay to make fun of unless it actually involves consenting homosexual adults, then it is not okay to crack jokes. 

Did you read about the reactions & comments from New York state politicians in regards to the vote to make professional mma legal in New York?  Politicians, that happened to be gay, were making jokes about how mma & grappling reminded them of gay sex. 

I get incensed when it's professional sports media making these kind of jokes. Comedians ... not so much. I was a tad troubled when there was an episode of Law & Order: SVU where there were some themes about wrestling coaches that was out of character for our sport, but sometimes those shows are based loosely on events in the news. 

No one's going to apologize to us. I agree with Gantry, although we're still in an "innocent until proven guilty" system. The man did a lot of great things for our sport, but to be offended at this when there's some legal issues going on right now, that's not on comedians. 

We love to point to the great things former wrestlers do outside of the sport, but there is bad as well.  No point taking offense to this..It is a black mark, just like Sandusky was for football.   

Good to see that the national wrestling hall will likely remove him shortly:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/okpreps/wrestling/national-wrestling-hall-reconsidering-awards-to-dennis-hastert/article_de3f4d8c-0e32-5e13-9167-7961a892a3f1.html

I get incensed when it's professional sports media making these kind of jokes. Comedians ... not so much. I was a tad troubled when there was an episode of Law & Order: SVU where there were some themes about wrestling coaches that was out of character for our sport, but sometimes those shows are based loosely on events in the news. 

No one's going to apologize to us. I agree with Gantry, although we're still in an "innocent until proven guilty" system. The man did a lot of great things for our sport, but to be offended at this when there's some legal issues going on right now, that's not on comedians. 

L&O episode from this season, the coach with the cabin? 

L&O series have had several episodes in which coaches molest students, SVU had an episode in which a basketball coach (Dad from the Wonder Years) had a long history of sexually abusing kids on his team.  That aired around the time the Sandusky story broke and the Poly Prep School abuse case was in the news, for 20+ years their football coach was sexually assaulting kids.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/poly-prep-football-players-warned-freshmen-coach-phil-foglietta-sex-abuse-school-threatened-discipline-reports-lawsuit-article-1.987876

Sadly, crimes like this happen every year. 

Recently an Alabama high school football coach was convicted of molestation.  (edit: he was arrested back in 2010, was back in court last year).

Two days ago an assistant football coach at Mar Vista High School (here in San Diego county) was arrested, allegations of sexual relations with a 9th grade girl, they haven't said what the exact charges are.  And this past Saturday, an ROTC at the same high school was arrested for the same allegations (report on the football coach stated the two cases are not related).

February - High school football player in Maine charged with sexually assaulting two kids under age 8. 

March:  In Pennsylvania, 3 high school football players charged with “assault, conspiracy, unlawful restraint, terroristic threats and other offenses".  Charges stem from a hazing ritual called "No Gay Thursday"...they shoved a broomstick into a kid's rectum.

In California, 18 people are suing the Torrance Unified School District, they are claiming the district had been told the Torrance High wrestling coach was sexually abusing kids and the district did nothing about it.  The coach was arrested last year, over 30 felony charges.

Seems like every year there is at least one track & field coach arrested on charges involving sex crimes.

Trevor Noah? I never heard of her.  You brought more attention to her than she deserves JMO

I take it you are one of the guys who wanted to solve the Title 9 problem by proving that no real girl is interested in sports?

Guest Kingsland

you brought attention to an obscure individual

The dude hosts a tv show on Comedy Central and has 3.2 million Twitter followers, he's not obscure.

This kind of thing happens, it's just when the person accused/convicted is a coach it's just more widespread because it makes for a better story in the media.  In Hastert's case it's because he was a faulty pacemaker and a bad pretzel away from being president for 6 years. 

In the last few years in AZ we've had several wrestling coaches who got in trouble for stupid stuff.  Not necessarily molesting kids, but things stupid enough that mean that they won't be allowed to coach or be near children anymore.  Which is a shame because they aren't bad people, they just made a really stupid mistake. 

We've also had a few coaches who got busted for other kinds of sex abuse and stuff too, so it's not any sport in particular.  Some people just haven't learned that you gotta keep it in your pants around students.  One guy was a track coach who actually skated on the charges because the cops didn't read him his rights so it got thrown out on a technicality. 

Edited by TripNSweep

OBJoe,

That's the one ... I didn't really care for it, but having to dig through dozens and dozens of stories each day, I find stories that are less than savory within our community. So they are in the news, and guess what, just because someone says the word "wrestling" in a phrase that's negative, doesn't mean they're anti-wrestling, they are in the entertainment and drama business. 

Then again, you can't make stupid viewers less stupid. 

I blame the singlet! 

I really don't know but the joke landed so thats the stereotype we're stuck with for now.

The singlet and riding time. Sorry guys. These are the optics folkstyle leaders embrace unwittingly. All other rationalizations aside. It attracts weirdos like hastert.

I thought the part about memory foam was pretty funny.

As to Hastert's allegations, my wife asked me about what it means for wrestling. My point of view is that this is one deranged man who was involved in a lot of different things, not just wrestling.

For this joke, wrestling was an easy mark. I'm not worried about it.

Edited by Tofurky