Sign in to follow this  
quanon

Fleeing the Hold

Well your first video covered 10 seconds of time in which Garrett avoided a tie vs 3 second in the cox/dake match in which cox circles back to the center before getting pushed back to the danger zone. Clever manipulation of the videos to make them seem more close than they are in actuality didn't go unnoticed.

I also don't think Ramos should have been given the win over Garrett anyways, considering he literally didn't do anything (all tournament).

Quanon and/or any other gif savvy posters, can you cut together clips of Lebedev at 2015 worlds when he "won" those two matches on late fleeing calls against his opponents after Bonne?

The Bonne match was ridiculous because Bonne scored two offensive pushouts and the ref gave Lebedev his two points, but the current criteria let Lebedev win. Seemed pretty wonky at the time. 

Well your first video covered 10 seconds of time in which Garrett avoided a tie vs 3 second in the cox/dake match in which cox circles back to the center before getting pushed back to the danger zone. Clever manipulation of the videos to make them seem more close than they are in actuality didn't go unnoticed.

I also don't think Ramos should have been given the win over Garrett anyways, considering he literally didn't do anything (all tournament).

As far as I know, an image has to be 2MB or smaller in order to be hosted on the free sites.  That means I have to cut the gifs down in size significantly.  

This ends up creating "clever manipulations" - albeit without nefarious intent.  I thought it was obvious that a lot more action happened in the Garrett exchange than occurred in the Cox match.

Anyway, my point is that these calls are subjective.  I am against subjective rules.

Unfortunately this or similar type situations have been playing out in every wrestling dual and tourneys for along time. Passivity, stalling, fleeing are all subjective and are in the hands of the refs. Even when specifics are spelled out most don't follow.

Quanon and/or any other gif savvy posters, can you cut together clips of Lebedev at 2015 worlds when he "won" those two matches on late fleeing calls against his opponents after Bonne?

The Bonne match was ridiculous because Bonne scored two offensive pushouts and the ref gave Lebedev his two points, but the current criteria let Lebedev win. Seemed pretty wonky at the time. 

I did a gif, but the quality is terrible.  With the method I'm using, you really need about 5 seconds of action or so - anything more and the wrestlers are hard to follow (they zoom around like cartoon characters, as you can see above).

Here's the link on the Kumar match -- did this happen with Lebedev again at Worlds?

https://youtu.be/QhJ6w28VOs8?t=431

My favorite part of the Lebedev-Kumar match is the last three seconds.  Kumar got hit with a fleeing call for Lebedev to go ahead -- then Lebedev runs for the last three seconds.  I also like the part where the ref drags Kumar around to make him get off his knees after the match is over.

I'm not sure how we could come up with an acceptable alternative to this rule that wouldn't be so subjective.  One method would be to divide the mat up into a checkerboard of zones.  If a wrestler moves through two zones without touching his opponent, he is hit with a caution and one (for example) as a penalty.  I suspect that many people wouldn't like this - we love to get the refs involved, of course.  But at least the zone concept is a solution that would get rid of the subjectivity of these calls.

Malinconico on the Malicious Intent podcast argued that we shouldn't have passivity calls at all.  I'd like to see experimental tournaments without passivity calls.  Let the wrestlers interlock fingers, grab wrists, down block, sprawl, run -- and let's just see how it goes.  We would still have the push-out/step-out, which prevents someone from simply running off the mat over and over.  My guess is that the best guys would find ways to score anyway.  We could still have calls for stalemates -- but I'd like to see stalemates called far less frequently.  I'd also like to see straight-armed pushing be legal.  Let's only ban things if we have good reasons.

Interlocking fingers should not be allowed

Interlocking fingers occurs because both guys are building the handfight low rather than reaching high and opening themselves up.  Both guys have to interlock fingers for it to happen.  Victimless crime.