Idaho

Boise State gets new start

Well I am thinking that this might be a good time for some programs to search for a new coach. I am assuming that there will be a lot of our wrestlers who have been competing after college during this last cycle but are not going to compete through the next cycle, (and are not looking to go into MMA), along with others who have been working as assistants at various colleges and universities, may provide Boise, Fresno, and some other programs with a wealth of candidates. Depending on who these schools hire, will in my opinion, result in that particular program in attracting some of the better talent coming out of high school, or looking to transfer out of Community College or else where.

Edited by de4856

Will lose almost all of the big west coast recruits to Arizona State, still feel like there's a lot to work with out there though.

This would have happened regardless - ASU has the coaches, the club and the funds. If BSU and FSU can get in some younger higher profile coaches then I think they can start the building process. It doesn't help when many of your top recruits head East, but maybe a different coaching staff, a different culture in the program will be what keeps some kids in the West.

There is no way their recruiting will suffer. Because it cant get any worst than it is now. BSU didn't sign a single new recruit this year. The change was desperately needed. I like UphillBronco's list, maybe throw in Ben Cherrington, but I doubt he is interested in coaching again. I hope they consider Chris Owens for the head job, and keep Taylor and maybe ad Hall or Hoch.  

Start with Adam Hall, Chamberlain, Hoch, and Meeks

My first thought was Hall. I have to imagine he's done (or close) to being done competing. Has a few years coaching experience, is from Idaho. Would be a nice young head coach.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about Greg Randall and Chris Owens.  They showed up in Boise in the mid 90's as young pitbull assistant coaches and took a lot of guys that were not blue chip recruits but were definitely blue-collar recruits and turned them into AA's, finalists, and a couple national champs.  But the last few seasons, something has changed in the program and the team has simply lost its butt-kicking attitude.  I'm sad to see Randall and Owens leave, but they leave having accomplished a ton of great things in Boise.

As far as a fresh start goes, I really hope that the AD looks outside the Pac-12 and alumni big-names and looks to bring in someone from the top schools in the B1G/B12/east coast.  Boise State wrestling does not have a large budget, but I believe it does have 9.9 scholarships and BSU is generous with academic non-resident tuition scholarships making it an attractive and affordable place to be a student-athlete.  The right coach could bring in some great recruits.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about Greg Randall and Chris Owens.  They showed up in Boise in the mid 90's as young pitbull assistant coaches and took a lot of guys that were not blue chip recruits but were definitely blue-collar recruits and turned them into AA's, finalists, and a couple national champs.  But the last few seasons, something has changed in the program and the team has simply lost its butt-kicking attitude.  I'm sad to see Randall and Owens leave, but they leave having accomplished a ton of great things in Boise.

As far as a fresh start goes, I really hope that the AD looks outside the Pac-12 and alumni big-names and looks to bring in someone from the top schools in the B1G/B12/east coast.  Boise State wrestling does not have a large budget, but I believe it does have 9.9 scholarships and BSU is generous with academic non-resident tuition scholarships making it an attractive and affordable place to be a student-athlete.  The right coach could bring in some great recruits.

Yeah, they had a lot of success and it just sounds like they are one of the many programs that just got burned out. When you have a small staff and limited resources you have to work at least twice as hard to get the same results.

Wish them the best.

It'd be great if the next coach could somehow incorporate Ivan Ivanov into being a club coach for their guys to be supplement the college training with a healthy side of Greco. Ivan is a great person and an even more amazing coach. The program could really use his resources in that room.

Boise needs a guy who can connect to the type of kids that come out of Washington, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Montana etc.

I would not mind seeing some young coach come in who would add Hoch, Hall as coaches..

I am shooting for the stars but a Metcalf type guy would be great. Some guy who has been an assistant coach at a big program would be ideal but has connections back west..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My paranoia is kicking in. Any chance they don't bother going through the hassle and just fold the tent? FB season is coming and life outside the P5 conferences is getting difficult (in a financial sense).

This mad me think of Oregon...

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/article40865580.html

My paranoia is kicking in. Any chance they don't bother going through the hassle and just fold the tent? FB season is coming and life outside the P5 conferences is getting difficult (in a financial sense).

If that were the case I think the administration would have announced letting Randall go a little differently. I don't think we're getting Adam Hall as an assistant. He's stated that he has a very good situation going with NCstate and he's doing a great job. Would love to have him back in Boise but it'd have to be as a head coach, now that might get him back here. Casey Cunningham? I like Metcalf for a lot of reasons but is he ready to really be a head coach? He'd need more than just a big name to create a competitive program west of the Mississippi. I'm not an Iowa hater like others on the board but I really don't see that style being successful anymore (sorry Iowa guys). I do love the way teams like NCState and PSU wrestle, all the way up and down the lineup. Whomever comes in needs to be great at bridging the gap between the younger wrestlers in the state and BSU wrestling, that creates enthusiasm and support in and around the fan base for your program. This person better be good at recruiting wrestlers and workout partners to the room and KEEP them more than a year. Attract name assistant coaches that can do the same, fundraise to bring in volunteer ass't to the BWC that will in turn bring a great workout environment to the room. I could go on and on about the challenges the next staff will need to address in order to be successful in Boise. Recruiting to an incredible area to live in should not be one of them.

Edited by uphillBronco

I think the Iowa style can still be successful it just needs to get modified a bit you've gotta learn to adapt with the changing of the times with that being said I'd like to see Metcalf as an assistant before pegging him as a head coach but then again maybe he's been that at Iowa while not on staff

Maybe Boise State wrestling will be less of a snoozefest now.  Their style of keeping matches low scoring by controlling ties always frustrated me as a wrestling fan.  As a coach, I do understand the strategy of giving yourself a chance against a superior opponent by slowing them down.  But, I really hate that.  The Oregon State/Boise State duals were the least enjoyable to me despite the obvious rivalry. 

That being said, Randall was able to develop some solid competitors over the years.  Their willingness to work around LDS (Mormon) missions was key for a lot of their success.  The new coach will need to be just as open to this. 

Full disclosure:  I am an Oregon State alum and have no love for the Donkeys.  So, feel free to ignore everything you read in my post.   

More Iowa retreds?  Those guys have all  been around the Iowa room and look at where they've been finishing lately.   I'm surprised no one is talking about a Sanderson sibling or someone from PSU - Boise is LDS country too, it could be a perfect fit.  What about Eggum?  Evidently JRob is going to coach until he's on life support, maybe Eggum would like to be the main guy.  Kish?  Branch (lateral move?).  Any number of aging Team USA guys.  I'm just not sure they need to go with another guy who is going to preach clubbing the head while pushing forward and screaming for stall calls.  I think they can do better. 

Maybe Boise State wrestling will be less of a snoozefest now.  Their style of keeping matches low scoring by controlling ties always frustrated me as a wrestling fan.  As a coach, I do understand the strategy of giving yourself a chance against a superior opponent by slowing them down.  But, I really hate that.  The Oregon State/Boise State duals were the least enjoyable to me despite the obvious rivalry. 

That being said, Randall was able to develop some solid competitors over the years.  Their willingness to work around LDS (Mormon) missions was key for a lot of their success.  The new coach will need to be just as open to this. 

Full disclosure:  I am an Oregon State alum and have no love for the Donkeys.  So, feel free to ignore everything you read in my post.   

Whoa now - be careful throwing around derogatory nicknames for other schools' mascots ... especially when your school is Oregon St.

But I have to agree with your 'snoozefest' diagnosis.  With the notable exception of Geo Martinez, for the last few seasons it seems like most of the guys wrestle not to lose rather than wrestling to win.  The overwhelming number of losses by a score of 3-2 gets depressing.  It's been frustrating and I'd really like to see a change in attitude and offense.

Go BRONCOS!

I would think Cael's older brother would be good but I do not see him leaving PSU to coach at Boise St.

I have no problem with a young HC who will build their own legacy at Boise St.

Will be interesting to see who applies..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk