Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Nick Suriano

No doubt he has been one of the most prolific wrestlers ever coming out of high school. His dedication and commitment to excellence has been second to none. Most importantly by all accounts he is a great person!

The question is have much can he improve? He already has had great coaching and he has also had a top notch personal trainer.

It will be interesting to follow his college career.

Well, his level of training partner is certainly going to go up exponentially. And as great as I'm sure his current coaching staff is, Cael is better. A lot better. I don't think an AA as a true freshman would be surprising. There will certainly be an adjustment period getting used to the level of competition in college. It's obviously very early to say but I think his career trajectory won't be dissimilar to Nico's. He'll be a perennial contender for the title.

Well, his level of training partner is certainly going to go up exponentially. And as great as I'm sure his current coaching staff is, Cael is better. A lot better. I don't think an AA as a true freshman would be surprising. There will certainly be an adjustment period getting used to the level of competition in college. It's obviously very early to say but I think his career trajectory won't be dissimilar to Nico's. He'll be a perennial contender for the title.

Will he wrestle as a true freshman?  I know Cael has said that Nick is ready to go at the D1 level but I also wasn't sure who, if anyone was sitting behind Mega in the PSU lineup.

I have some questions as to how dominant he is going to be as a true freshman.  We always tend to overhype true freshman coming out of high school.  He had a 3-2 win over a tough kid in the NJ finals but I wouldn't  be surprised if he doesn't AA as a freshman.  I do agree with the PSU room, it will give him every chance to improve.

I was concerned about this when Iowa was recruiting him hard last year, that maybe he had topped out.  However, to my eye, he looked to have made a nice step forward as a senior with his offense, so that may be all for naught.  Looks like he'll be damned good.

Will he wrestle as a true freshman?  I know Cael has said that Nick is ready to go at the D1 level but I also wasn't sure who, if anyone was sitting behind Mega in the PSU lineup.

They don't really have a next in line suitable enough to be productive enough to help them win the team title again so I think he will. Their next in line is Yanovich who will be going into his RSSO season with minimal experience on the big stage. 

I have some questions as to how dominant he is going to be as a true freshman.  We always tend to overhype true freshman coming out of high school.  He had a 3-2 win over a tough kid in the NJ finals but I wouldn't  be surprised if he doesn't AA as a freshman.  I do agree with the PSU room, it will give him every chance to improve.

There will not be 8 wrestlers better than Nick Suriano at 125.  

Was he undefeated through his HS career? It looks like his closest matches were the finals this past year at NJ state and another close match in the finals of DocB but I haven't found that he lost any matches. 

Guest Kingsland

There will not be 8 wrestlers better than Nick Suriano at 125.

While I think it is very possible for Suriano to AA ,I can also see him falling short due to the amount of talent at the weight class. I would say Gilman, Nato, Dance, Peters, Milhoff, Schram, Cruz, Moisey, and McGhee could all keep him off the podium (there are a couple other returning tough guys I didn't list ) as well as Picinni, Micic, and Kris Williams all coming off their red shirt. Those are 12 very tough dudes all with college experience under their belts, and it'll be a tall order for a true freshman to make his way through that bracket.

Physically I have no doubt he's ready for D1 wrestling.  He's a hold back, so he's old for his class and has approached his training to date about as seriously as a high school wrestler can.

I wonder how he'll deal with the psychological aspect of not just hammering everyone in his path, match after match, as many elite HS wrestlers do through their HS careers.

He's awfully tough on top, IMO his best position, but it'll be interesting to see if he's able to get out from bottom, at least initially, with the top guys.

Pennsy, Agaisse is a very good wrestler.  If he can stay healthy (he's had problems with that), I think he'll do well at Princeton.

Guest Kingsland

Not in season. Super 32, I believe.

He lost to Vito Arujau at the journeymen classic, and then avenged the loss at super 32.

Guest Kingsland

He did lose to Lee at Super 32 but that might have been before HS or at least 3-4 years ago.

Yea I think he beat Spencer when he was a freshman and Lee was in 8th grade, and then lost to him the following year. I could be mixing the grades up though .

He probably couldn't make 125 for another 2 years anyway hasn't he said he'll go 125 the first year and then end up moving up after

Ah, so this is how Spencer Lee could fit into the lineup, if PSU is still recruiting him.  I don't pay close attention to prep wrestling but it looks like Nick Suriano has been growing quickly and packing on some muscle these past few years. Great job by his coaches/trainers.

Also thank you for the clarification, @PSUMike.