Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Nick Suriano

I hope Lee and Suriano face each other. Could be a great rivalry that lasts a long time reminiscent of Dake-Taylor. I see Lee being Dake to Suriano's Taylor if it happens.

Disagree.  See it the other way in regards to wrestling style and expected result at the early stages.

I doubt they ever wrestle a folkstyle match again as opponents.  Maybe with the screwy weights involved with FS.  Nick is a bigger kid at this point, and getting bigger.  It would have been fun to watch for a few years however.

Physically I have no doubt he's ready for D1 wrestling.  He's a hold back, so he's old for his class and has approached his training to date about as seriously as a high school wrestler can.

I wonder how he'll deal with the psychological aspect of not just hammering everyone in his path, match after match, as many elite HS wrestlers do through their HS careers.

He's awfully tough on top, IMO his best position, but it'll be interesting to see if he's able to get out from bottom, at least initially, with the top guys.

Pennsy, Agaisse is a very good wrestler.  If he can stay healthy (he's had problems with that), I think he'll do well at Princeton.

NJWC, I know Agaisse is tough but what keeps me from gushing about Soriano is despite his stellar record in a tough state like NJ, he has taken some losses to guys like Arujau and Lee, and hasn't dominated all(like I believe Lee has).  Now, I know there are kids who don't dominate every match like Spencer Lee(see Dake ) and still crush it in college but there are things in his offensive game that make me wonder how dominant he will be at the next level.  Don't you see any of that in him?

Edited by pennsyrules

I don't love him on his feet, he's not the super slick lightweight you see more often. He has a physical, almost middleweight style.

I said a year ago he'll be very good in college, but he'll experience guys just as big and strong as he is, likely for the first time ever.

PSU has a really good 125 coming in, but I'm curious how he will translate.

I don't love him on his feet, he's not the super slick lightweight you see more often. He has a physical, almost middleweight style.

I said a year ago he'll be very good in college, but he'll experience guys just as big and strong as he is, likely for the first time ever.

PSU has a really good 125 coming in, but I'm curious how he will translate.

Great analysis. I completely agree.

His offense is good but not great. Carl very well may be the guy to change that.

I too agree with that assessment but I'll say this about Suriano: his defense is great, not good. Often, HS kids who aren't offensive dynamos from neutral are also not great on defense. But Suriano's defense makes up for a lot of what he may be missing in offense.

My biggest issue with Sruiano, which may turn out to be a wrong observation, is that he is the proverbial man wrestling boys. He's the largest 120-something pounder I've ever seen in HS and appears to be as well-developed physically as a serious D1 athlete. That gives you a huge edge in HS that will mostly go away in college.

I feel the same way about another PSU-bound stud, Mason Manville.

I too agree with that assessment but I'll say this about Suriano: his defense is great, not good. Often, HS kids who aren't offensive dynamos from neutral are also not great on defense. But Suriano's defense makes up for a lot of what he may be missing in offense.

My biggest issue with Sruiano, which may turn out to be a wrong observation, is that he is the proverbial man wrestling boys. He's the largest 120-something pounder I've ever seen in HS and appears to be as well-developed physically as a serious D1 athlete. That gives you a huge edge in HS that will mostly go away in college.

I feel the same way about another PSU-bound stud, Mason Manville.

Suriano's defense is superb.

Very good point about him and Manville. It will be interesting to watch

Nick is an animal on top, I have no doubt he could have gone to MSG a won matches this year. There are just some advantages he's had vs HS kids that won't be there soon.

He's a massive kid for the weight.

No doubt he has been one of the most prolific wrestlers ever coming out of high school. His dedication and commitment to excellence has been second to none. Most importantly by all accounts he is a great person!

The question is have much can he improve? He already has had great coaching and he has also had a top notch personal trainer.

It will be interesting to follow his college career.

i just want to say this is a revoltingly sycophantic post...completely void of content.  

Edited by hammerlockthree

Suriano is on a different level than Manville

I'm not saying they're on the same level. I'm saying I share a concern about their physical edge against HS competition. They are both very well-developed, big, and strong for HS kids, and the physical advantage shows in their wrestling. Sometimes that translates to D1, sometimes not.

Obviously, they are both studs, and I agree Suriano is at a different level even from that already high bar.

Explain to me how he's on a different level.  Didn't Manville win a world title?

It's not like one's a 10 and the other is a 4, but their hardware isn't the only measure. It's hard to argue against Suriano being a top 10 lb-for-lb guy, and I'd argue he's top 5, while it's hard to argue for Manville being on any such list.

There's a reason why Cael recruited one heavily and not the other.

I'm not sure why Manville gets doubted by many.  You could argue that Manville wrestles everywhere versus Soriano not quite as tested.  It seems like Manville does it all.  What's the knock on Manville, because of losses to Hayden Hidley?  That kid is a stud.  Manville has a ton of great wins.

I'm not sure why Manville gets doubted by many.  You could argue that Manville wrestles everywhere versus Soriano not quite as tested.  It seems like Manville does it all.  What's the knock on Manville, because of losses to Hayden Hidley?  That kid is a stud.  Manville has a ton of great wins.

At least for me, I have nothing but respect for his attitude of constantly testing himself against the best. I am just not sold on his ability to maintain what I feel is a significant physical edge when he is wrestling equally conditioned men.

While I think it is very possible for Suriano to AA ,I can also see him falling short due to the amount of talent at the weight class. I would say Gilman, Nato, Dance, Peters, Milhoff, Schram, Cruz, Moisey, and McGhee could all keep him off the podium (there are a couple other returning tough guys I didn't list ) as well as Picinni, Micic, and Kris Williams all coming off their red shirt. Those are 12 very tough dudes all with college experience under their belts, and it'll be a tall order for a true freshman to make his way through that bracket.

NaTo is at 133 this year.  Cross him off the list.

It's not like one's a 10 and the other is a 4, but their hardware isn't the only measure. It's hard to argue against Suriano being a top 10 lb-for-lb guy, and I'd argue he's top 5, while it's hard to argue for Manville being on any such list.

There's a reason why Cael recruited one heavily and not the other.

How do you know how heavily they were recruited?  I'd argue that Suriano hasn't been tested nearly as much as Manville and Manville is an absolute stud in all 3 styles of wrestling.  Pound for pound flo has Suriano 7 and Manville 11.  Not quite "not on his level."

How do you know how heavily they were recruited?  I'd argue that Suriano hasn't been tested nearly as much as Manville and Manville is an absolute stud in all 3 styles of wrestling.  Pound for pound flo has Suriano 7 and Manville 11.  Not quite "not on his level."

Cael recruited Suriano quite publicly and Suriano let it be known. There was even a "wanted" mockup poster with Suriano's face posted on Twitter at some point.

I suppose we are picking nits between these two studs, but Suriano is more dominant against elite competitors, despite the few losses. "Level" is probably the wrong word.