Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Mongolia preliminary entries

The preliminary entries for each nation for Mongolia are posted under "results and videos" then "participants" in each weight class tab here:

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/1st-og-world-qualifying-tournament

Some quick observations:

Freestyle 65kg is stacked, as expected.  It doesn't seem that any nation is leaving a big name out of the mix.  30 nations are preliminarily entered, meaning the two bracket halves should be quite balanced.

Freestyle 86kg seems very navigable.  The biggest potential name, Aldatov of Ukraine, is not entered.  All in all, there's no name that I'd clearly pick to win a match over Cox.  Zvirbulis, Ismanov, and Ceballos are all tough, for example, but wouldn't be clear favorites over Cox, in my opinion.  Vereb of Hungary is another tough one listed, but that's an error since he already qualified.  In fact, of the 25 nations listed that are really going to be there, I would only expect 10 of their reps to present real matches for Cox.  That means he's essentially trying to be Top 3 out of 11 "real" contenders, rather than 25.

With 25 nations, we'll see unbalanced brackets with about 9 on the top and 16 on the bottom.  If Cox gets into that top bracket, he could have a very, very navigable half-bracket.

Edited by maligned

This is Cox's first international event and things look good for him. He is green and there are a lot of unknowns but it is just nice that we know for sure he will not be pushed around. We have not had a full sized guy here since Cael or Lawal. Gavin, Ruth and even Herbert and Hrovat were not full sized 190 guys. I thought Cox might be to big but I didn't realize he was only 5 10 maybe 5 11 so 190 really is not that bad and he should be able to hold this weight because the other option is beating Snyder at 213 and that won't happen even though with Varner gone I think he could place 2nd at 213. I though he was like 6 0 or 6 1. Come on Jden just qualify us please sir!!!

no team can wrestle more than one guy.  They've got 3 guys listed so they have options right up to the last minute.  we did our trials first so that our olympic rep could have first crack at determining his own destiny.

Plasmodium is right. There are three wrestlers listed for some nations. 

Will they have to pick one before the tournament starts?

they will all wrestle in the tournament but as one entry. they will alternate bouts and sometimes periods tag team style. 

Thanks, Maligned. I assume you are right because at no one country is allowed two entrants in the Olympics themselves or in the Worlds (much as that might upset Iran or Russia, which often have multiple possible medalists at a given weight).

So what is the rule exactly, does Molinaro have to place top three or top three vs countries that are not already qualified? I was under the impression it was the former and if this is so then every country that is already qualified that sends a top wrestler is working to block unqualified countries at a given weight. 

So, I am confused about something. Do you think Russia or any other country would want or not want the US to qualify at 65kg and 86kg. On the one hand, I would think they would want to keep every country they can out so as to maximize medals. On the other hand, that strategy doesn't really make sense. At the extreme you end up with a warped Olympics where key countries did not participate. Even though 65kg is not a formidable weight for the US, wouldn't Russia want to have us there? 

So what is the rule exactly, does Molinaro have to place top three or top three vs countries that are not already qualified? I was under the impression it was the former and if this is so then every country that is already qualified that sends a top wrestler is working to block unqualified countries at a given weight. 

So, I am confused about something. Do you think Russia or any other country would want or not want the US to qualify at 65kg and 86kg. On the one hand, I would think they would want to keep every country they can out so as to maximize medals. On the other hand, that strategy doesn't really make sense. At the extreme you end up with a warped Olympics where key countries did not participate. Even though 65kg is not a formidable weight for the US, wouldn't Russia want to have us there? 

Any athlete that doesn't have their weight qualified has to get top 2 in their weight class I thought.

JH is yanking people's chains because this has all been clarified thousands of times on a dozen threads, including ones that are well marked for having all the qualification procedures.

Only unqualified nations eligible this weekend

1 person per unqualified weight per team

Top 3 for Greco and free and top 2 for women qualify their country at that weight

Yes, Russia will be sending multiple wrestlers per weight class to block all other nations who need to qualify from getting Olympic spots. I wish they wouldn't but those are the rules and you have to respect their strategy. They are in it to win it. 

I thought the rule was that depending on however many medals you have at that particular weight in the world championships in the past three years you can send that amount of wrestlers to the qualifier to stop other countries qualifying, and that gold counts for two wrestlers. So for Example since Sadulaev won gold twice (14,15) Russia will be sending 4 wrestlers at 86kg just to stop Cox from qualifying. Is this rule still in play or have they altered it?  

Edited by Shiraz123

I thought the rule was that depending on however many medals you have at that particular weight in the world championships in the past three years you can send that amount of wrestlers to the qualifier to stop other countries qualifying, and that gold counts for two wrestlers. So for Example since Sadulaev won gold twice (14,15) Russia will be sending 4 wrestlers at 86kg just to stop Cox from qualifying. Is this rule still in play or have they altered it?  

you're right, this is still the rule. I was generalizing and didn't want to get into the particulars because there have been so much confusion over this topic already. someone should really start a thread that explains the qualification process. 

Yes, Russia will be sending multiple wrestlers per weight class to block all other nations who need to qualify from getting Olympic spots. I wish they wouldn't but those are the rules and you have to respect their strategy. They are in it to win it. 

Hilarious stuff

JH is yanking people's chains because this has all been clarified thousands of times on a dozen threads, including ones that are well marked for having all the qualification procedures.

Only unqualified nations eligible this weekend

1 person per unqualified weight per team

Top 3 for Greco and free and top 2 for women qualify their country at that weight

Thanks. I did not know that it was only for unqualified weights. That makes a heck of a lot more sense.