Sign in to follow this  
WRfan1

When was the last time... (Dake thread)

Magic Man 5-2 in March

Just remember when you pick against Dake...you are usually on the losing end. Poeple have doubted him and rooted against him for 4 years now, either because he's so good or he regularly beats their guys.

And....he always takes things up a notch at the NCAA's, especially in the finals where he has yet to be really challenged.

If anyone has a good chance to beat him it is Taylor, but he better bring his A+ game or he will fall like the rest, and Dake will have completed something the sport has never seen and may never see again.

Not to be lost in all this discussion is the fact he wrestles for a small Ivy League school, which makes this all even more amazing when you think of the history of all the great wrestling powerhouses.

Cornell has made it's mark as a tremendous wrestling program, especially over the past 10 years, but it's still remarkable in the grand scheme of things if he accomplishes his last challenge.

Just win baby!

Look, if Dake wins I think there is a case to be made to call him the best college wrestler ever.

I have great respect for Dake and thoroughly enjoy watching him compete. He's certainly an elite competitor. But i don't get the sense that I'm watching someone that transcends the sport the way I did when Cael was competing. Just my opinion...

I do get that sense.

I have often read that Owings cut down to 142 when he had wrestled most of the year at either 150 or 158, specifically to beat Gable. If he really should have been at a higher weight and only cut down to 142 to beat Gable, why did he wrestle 2 more years after that at 142, and then he tried to cut to 136.5 for the 1972 Olympics.

I have often read that Owings cut down to 142 when he had wrestled most of the year at either 150 or 158, specifically to beat Gable. If he really should have been at a higher weight and only cut down to 142 to beat Gable, why did he wrestle 2 more years after that at 142, and then he tried to cut to 136.5 for the 1972 Olympics.

Exactly. Owings went 142 because it was the weight he felt most comfortable at. This doesntbtake away from his epic accomplishment, but don't make it something it was not. I will never believe he went there because of Gable, it makes no sense and there is nothing to support that idea.

Exactly. Owings went 142 because it was the weight he felt most comfortable at. This doesntbtake away from his epic accomplishment, but don't make it something it was not. I will never believe he went there because of Gable, it makes no sense and there is nothing to support that idea.

- its completely different. Dake is risking a (relatively) sure title and place as one of the top 2 or 3 collegiate wrestlers of all time to move up a weight to face the returning Hodge winner for no other reason that to prove that he can. IMO, that is insane (and pretty cool, but still insane).

Owings hadn't won anything yet, and wasn't risking any sure title. He was a nobody with nothing to lose. Its a completely different scenario.

I started this thread to see if this had ever been done before. I don't think it has. Maybe in boxing Evander Holyfield going up to Heavyweight even though he was too small for the class (initially won the fight at 208 lbs.). But even then, all the money and fame for Holyfield was connected with a move to heaveyweight - while Dake is gaining some additionally notoriety if he wins, he risks much more than Holyfield did.

For the sake of wrestling, I hope he wins it. It'll make a great story and hopefully propel him towards a long international career.

I commend Dake for going up to take on Taylor. I think his victory over Taylor at the Olympic Trials had something to do with it - but he may have done it anyway. Fact is - he loves the spotlight and thrives in the spotlight. And there's no bigger spotlight in college wrestling right now that Dake-Taylor.

What's (almost) even more impressive to me than Dake's winning 4 titles in 4 weight classes is that he will possibly have beaten an NCAA champion in the finals every single year. Of course, this is only if St. John wins at 157 and Dake beats Taylor again - but both are very possible.