Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Spencer Lee commits to...

Excellent!  

Iowa really does need a shot in the arm, and if the Brands are going to stick around, they really do need to get significantly better talent, than they've been getting in recent years.   Lee might be what they need in order to start getting individual National champions again, and to help overshadow much of the failure that's been present in recent times.   

I don't want to see Brands leave Iowa, and I truly believe Lee going there helps to put off any changes for the time being.  

Great news! 

Wha - What? I thought he was Blue and White bound. This is a big get for Iowa! His comments are very powerful and heartfelt. Great PR for Iowa wrestling.

Hmmmm .. Makes things more interesting!

I want to hear from all the people who told me I'm an Iowa homer (what a joke) and that I'm out to lunch on the Lee to Iowa call. Apparently I'm not such an idiot after all.

To me, the choice was fairly obvious. I truly feel he chose the right school, and I have zero rooting interest with Iowa. The Brands are exactly the types of coaches who can take Lee to Olympic gold level. He has the killer instinct you just can't teach and wrestles a fearless style that reminds me of the Brands' attitude when they wrestled. Whatever you think of the Brands, it's hard to argue against the fact that they are the best lightweight coaches in the country and have been for some time. Lee is going to be an absolute monster under the Brands and I as a wrestling fan can't wait to see it.

Lee to Iowa is going to put a real dent on the Cael is the new Gable trend as well. He can be that impactful.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

This is huge for Iowa and the Brands Bros. This will go along way in keeping Iowa in contention in the lighter weights. I know that there are probably people out there that would've liked to see Spencer and Gavin go somewhere else, but I am glad to see this. This will go a long way in keeping things tight between the top schools. Because we all know that Cael, John Smith, Rob Koll, Brian Smith and the rest of the gang will be out there doing their best to recruit the best talent that they can get.

Lee to Iowa is going to put a real dent on the Cael is the new Gable trend as well. He can be that impactful.

I don't know about this. There are eight point scoring All-Americans and 10 weight classes. It'll take a whole lot more than just Spencer Lee to keep the Lions from winning more team titles.

I don't know about this. There are eight point scoring All-Americans and 10 weight classes. It'll take a whole lot more than just Spencer Lee to keep the Lions from winning more team titles.

That's not my point. There are kids who can transform programs. I think Lee is one of them. Already his buddy Teasdale committed. Lee is the type of guy who will get a national following irrespective of college rooting interest, a la David Taylor for PSU, Logan Stieber for tOSU, Ben Askren for Mizzou, Travis Lee for Cornell, etc. It's huge for recruiting.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

That's not my point. There are kids who can transform programs. I think Lee is one of them. Already his buddy Teasdale committed. Lee is the type of guy who will get a 

I want to hear from all the people who told me I'm an Iowa homer (what a joke) and that I'm out to lunch on the Lee to Iowa call. Apparently I'm not such an idiot after all.

To me, the choice was fairly obvious. I truly feel he chose the right school, and I have zero rooting interest with Iowa. The Brands are exactly the types of coaches who can take Lee to Olympic gold level. He has the killer instinct you just can't teach and wrestles a fearless style that reminds me of the Brands' attitude when they wrestled. Whatever you think of the Brands, it's hard to argue against the fact that they are the best lightweight coaches in the country and have been for some time. Lee is going to be an absolute monster under the Brands and I as a wrestling fan can't wait to see it.

Word s his GF is headed to Iowa, and this unusual selection,  keeps them together.   Lets hope that relationship doesn't break up, when little Ms would be Lee, meets 6'11" forward on the Hawks nationally ranked basketball team, and then suddenly, Iowa has an unhappy camper, rethinking his choice.    

For the time being, this is an absolute jack pot for the struggling Hawks, but lets hope he even makes it there, and once there, actually sticks around.  College wrestling needs Iowa back in the contender's roll, and not off the medal stand.   

Word s his GF is headed to Iowa, and this unusual selection,  keeps them together.   Lets hope that relationship doesn't break up, when little Ms would be Lee, meets 6'11" forward on the Hawks nationally ranked basketball team, and then suddenly, Iowa has an unhappy camper, rethinking his choice.

I guess he forgot to mention this in the 10 good reason he decided Iowa was his best choice.

Edited by MadMardigain

This is HUGE, I mean HUGE for Iowa. Not that Iowa hasn't been a top program but you HAVE to have that one world beater in your program to elevate it to a championship program. Lee will do for Iowa what Logie did for tOSU. They go from a top 5 program to a title contender with Lee overnight IMO. Along with his immediate bonus potential, he alone will bring in more college ready top recruits who can produce big numbers right out of the gate. People talk about how the Brands turn kids into these robots that adhere to that Iowa style of push, pull, bull around and repeat. Wont happen with Lee, he is way too head strong and talented to change his style. Look for that "Iowa Style" to be a thing of the past and Lee's style to be the one of the Iowa future. Looking forward to seeing much more points scored and this kid growing into one of the GOAT. Huge get for Iowa.

I guess he forgot to mention this in the 10 good reason he decided Iowa was his best choice.

Very doubtful that it simply slipped his mind.   

These things are planned and not likely to include silly reasoning which could embarrass everyone.  It's completely constructed in a manner in which to make everyone look good.    On rare occasions, we get to see someone candid (Ramos for example) and it really hurts everyone involved.   

People talk about how the Brands turn kids into these robots that adhere to that Iowa style of push, pull, bull around and repeat. Wont happen with Lee, he is way too head strong and talented to change his style. Look for that "Iowa Style" to be a thing of the past and Lee's style to be the one of the Iowa future.

If you listen to the interview Spencer says turning people into robots stuff is a bunch of crap. He's been there many times and say it's not even remotely true.  It's a family atmosphere and there is plenty of fun to be had. 

If you listen to the interview Spencer says turning people into robots stuff is a bunch of crap. He's been there many times and say it's not even remotely true.  It's a family atmosphere and there is plenty of fun to be had.

Not that I buy into the robot stuff but recruiting is the honeymoon phase. Once he's on campus and the season begins things could be different.