Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Draws are in...Mongolia Day 1 (Greco) discussion

Draws are in:

59kg: A bad draw, no 2 ways about it.  Thielke is in the biggest quarter (8 guys) and the biggest half (15, compared to 8 on the other side).  He's got Parma of India first and Olympic champ Soryan of Iran, among others, can eventually block his advancement to the final.

66kg: Another difficult draw.  Perkins is again in an 8-man quarter and the big half (16 compared to 10).  Fortunately, world champ Aliyev of Azerbaijan missed weight, but unfortunately that means he'll be waiting at the final qualifier in the random draw/only 2 advance format in Turkey.  Perkins gets Austria first.

98kg: The best draw by far of the 3.  Rau gets a bye into a 5-man quarter and a 13-man half.  Also, the favorite (this time from Turkey) again appears to be a scratch.  He's got Sweden first, who are always tough in Greco, but he doesn't have any clear powerhouse nations or past medalists in his quarter.

You can derive the draws from the draw assignments in the participant lists.  Subtract 16 from the number of participants.  That's how many preliminary matches there will be.  Start from the bottom going up to pair up that number of matches.  Then give preliminary round byes to the rest of the guys listed.

Does any one have an screenshot from Draws especially 59 kg?

Why can't see any draw in UWW?

Read my post from right before yours.  Brackets aren't shown in their normal form, but you can build them yourself from the draw assignments that are posted in the participant list...see my post just up from this for instructions.

Read my post from right before yours.  Brackets aren't shown in their normal form, but you can build them yourself from the draw assignments that are posted in the participant list...see my post just up from this for instructions.

Seems like an awful lot of adding and subtracting...

Seems like an awful lot of adding and subtracting...

Here's how they work: 

23 numbered entries at 59kg

23-16 = 7 prelim matches at the bottom and 9 first listed guys get byes

26 numbered entries at 66kg

26-16 = 10 prelim matches at the bottom and 6 first listed guys get byes

21 numbered entries at 98kg

21-16 = 5 prelim matches at the bottom and 11 first listed guys get byes

Edited by maligned

Here let me do it for you. Start at the lowest weight class with Thielke. You look at his drawing number, take the square root of Tuesday. Multiply by the reciprocal of the divisor, making sure to take the absolute value in case of a negative, and his opponent is ...Pittsburgh. Simple really.

Sad to see it unfold that way for Thielke...he looked so good at OTTs.  Never really got offense going...had 2 scores off of the Indian's offense (one probably could have been a slip) and a push-out when he was on the shot clock.  Then gives up the big throw with a minute to go and another nice takedown with 30 to go.  It's tough to see the Indian getting to the final in the difficult draw on that side of the bracket so Thielke is most likely done.

Perkins up in a couple minutes on Mat B in the round of 16 against Kazakhstan

The only update to the bracket summary I gave at the beginning of this thread is that a Turk was allowed into the bracket in Rau's quarter.  I don't know his history, but they're always tough, no matter the weight.  Rau vs. Sweden & Germany vs. Turkey in the round of 16 there.  

Takahashi of Canada, who had a massive comeback to shock Hafizov at the Pan Am qualifier, got put out easily by Romania