Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Draws are in...Mongolia Day 1 (Greco) discussion

Vaelimaeki of Finland advances and brings Perkins back in.  He awaits the winner of a Bulgarian and a Portuguese, who both got beat much more easily by the Fin.  If he wins that, he'll still need to beat a very tough Belarussian and whoever is brought over from the other side of the bracket.  (so he still needs 3 wins total)

colorado... the academy the boys go to is primarily international styles focused... i'm so done with folk...

my 13 year old and i had the "do i have to wrestle in HS" talk tonight...

Sounds familiar.  I coach a club here in Michigan with some great kids, and their first comment after our first sessions in freestyle and greco was unanimous:  This is FUN.  Free and GR is my favorite time of year as a coach and the kids are eager to come to practice every day.  We have crash mats and they get to work on suplex, saltos, reverse bodylock, etc.  We had at least a dozen kids from neighboring clubs show up this week because word has gotten out.  WAY more exciting to wrestle and coach free and GR.

A note about Perkins' match: 5 of the top 6 non-qualifying finishers from last weekend's Europe qualifier (plus a world medalist who didn't wrestle last week) were all on the opposite side of Ravaughn's bracket.  So the Lithuanian he'll face has probably beaten better people to get to the match.  That said, except for the Fin, Perkins has destroyed everyone today, including the Belarussian who was close with those top guys from the other bracket last week. 

wow... par terre is important... as a county we waste so much time on folk that our par terre is weak as fuk... it makes me crazy

wrestling folk doesn't make guys lazy and unambitious from top (or bottom) in part terre. blaming the wrong thing create the culture we have that promotes failure. 

wrestling folk doesn't make guys lazy and unambitious from top (or bottom) in part terre. blaming the wrong thing create the culture we have that promotes failure. 

wasting time learning to ride out and not go immediately from takedown to turn is 100% hurting our guys... it's ridiculous to even argue it

pure nonsense. not getting good at something has everything to do with the individual and nothing to do with the circumstances. any other mindset is a wimpy (i'm thinking of something more harsh) excuse that makes failure happen more often.

getting good at somehting takes repitition and if you spend the best years of your career doing somehting that is the antithesis of what the ultimate goal should be then you are wasting your time...

ignorant to think otherwise

pure nonsense. not getting good at something has everything to do with the individual and nothing to do with the circumstances. any other mindset is a wimpy (i'm thinking of something more harsh) excuse that makes failure happen more often.

So if an individual is in a circumstance where they are forced to wrestle folkstyle if they want to compete for their high school or college team it's just a wimpy excuse that they aren't good at defending a gut wrench?  Makes sense. 

getting good at somehting takes repitition and if you spend the best years of your career doing somehting that is the antithesis of what the ultimate goal should be then you are wasting your time...

ignorant to think otherwise

no reason the not to get the reps, plenty of time if it's important enough.

So if an individual is in a circumstance where they are forced to wrestle folkstyle if they want to compete for their high school or college team it's just a wimpy excuse that they aren't good at defending a gut wrench?  Makes sense. 

another excuse. just because it difficult doesn't mean it can't be done.

Back to the topic. By my investigation, the 3 guys that qualified from Mongolia at 66kg were the best 3 in the field. Barring something strange, Perkins has a decent shot of qualifying in Turkey. It will be tough but he wrestled well yesterday. Thielke and Rau, I think, need a lot to go right for them.

Back to the topic. By my investigation, the 3 guys that qualified from Mongolia at 66kg were the best 3 in the field. Barring something strange, Perkins has a decent shot of qualifying in Turkey. It will be tough but he wrestled well yesterday. Thielke and Rau, I think, need a lot to go right for them.

Actually there are still Azerbajani rep, (Chunayev probably), Etlinger of Croatia, Turkish rep, Vardanyan of Ukraine and few more, there is no second chance this time, only two finalists qualify.