maligned

Mongolia Day 2 (Women) draws & discussion

Draws are out for the women...

48, 53 and 69 all look very good.  All 3 are in 4-girl quarter and 8-girl half brackets with really only 2 "real" matches to win over legitimate opponents to reach the finals.  As bad as these weights' draws came out at Pan Am's, it's nice to see they've all got a very, very strong chance to advance their weights.

Campbell did not get a good draw at 58, though.  She's in an 8-girl quarter bracket with many good nations in her disproportionately large half bracket.  It looks like she'll need to win 4 real matches and beat the top favorites to advance to the final.

Edited by maligned

Helen looked great her second match, and Augelo looked outstanding as well. Mensah sp. so frustrating. I've never understood people who are losing with less than 10 seconds and they're busy trying to set up shots. She has a damn good chance to qualify in Turkey.

Saori Yoshida; she has like three Olympic golds, four Asian Games, thirteen world championships, and is one of the most storied athletes in freestyle wrestling history. Hmmm... let's find out!

Edited by OKnowwhut

My new favorite wrestler Haley Augello. That little lady is tough. Qualifies for the Olys with a tech fall, 10-0, in the semis. Two of the four weights qualified and one of the other two made it to the semis and had a shot. All in all not a bad day for the women

I'm surprised that Maroulis has not qualified the weight before now?  A returning world champ does not automatically qualify for the Olympics?

Qualification is by country by weight class. This is the first time maroulis has been down to 53 and others failed to qualify the weight at world's and pan ams.

Yoshida is aging, Maroulis can beat her.

Yes, I think Helen Maroulis' biggest opponent at 53kg is herself and it seems as though she has the weight cut under control and could definitely make a run for the gold in Rio.  However, Saori Yoshida is Saori Yoshida. She walked through the bracket last year at Worlds though the scores don't always reflect it.  Coincidentally, I think her only loss ever was to an American, is that right?

Yes, I think Helen Maroulis' biggest opponent at 53kg is herself and it seems as though she has the weight cut under control and could definitely make a run for the gold in Rio.  However, Saori Yoshida is Saori Yoshida. She walked through the bracket last year at Worlds though the scores don't always reflect it.  Coincidentally, I think her only loss ever was to an American, is that right?

Yes and no. Her first International loss was to American Marcie Van Dusen. She also later lost to some Russian woman. She's such a slacker