KnightofChampions

Cauliflower Ear and performance / marketing discussion

I have it a little on both ears, but I was very lucky that my mother was very adamant about headgear and it stuck with me.  I was also VERY lucky that genetics awarded me with small ears that are closely cropped. I always felt bad for those with bigger ears.  My cousin had big ears, with a little of dumbo flap to boot, and one of his ears is DESTROYED.

I'm sure they are great for the ears, but I always felt they should be required to have some kind of padding on the outside of that hard plastic. Those things will bust up your opponent/training partner's ears (obviously preventable by them wearing headgear) but also their eyes, and/or mouth. I hated it when my practice partner's wore that style of headgear.

In college we wore what we called a "halo" headgear.

The ear piece didn't stick out as far a the Tornado,but the outside was a hard plastic shell.

Never had a problem with it,but as I said before,I never went out on a mat without headgear.

Edited by rpbobcat

I was not hearing well of late. So, I in fact went to get my ears cleaned out last wk. The nurse had some problem with 'getting on in there' with her med tools. She finally found a tool that would reach some of that funky stuff….deep in the caverns of my ear. She picked at it until it was clean. Took  awhile, and some patience (on my part, and her part). This wk. I can hear…. kind of okay.

Another thing. I hung with wrestlers (and other athletes) during the years that I competed. Califlower ears seemed to be a status symbol of sorts. Maybe that is still the case in some places ?

Sure, we wore headgears. Although, during a heated practice in the room, a number of the guys would just throw their headgears against the walls of the room.

I'm sure they are great for the ears, but I always felt they should be required to have some kind of padding on the outside of that hard plastic. Those things will bust up your opponent/training partner's ears (obviously preventable by them wearing headgear) but also their eyes, and/or mouth. I hated it when my practice partner's wore that style of headgear.

You are correct. The best part of the Tornado is that it can be made to fit extremely well. I don't understand why the shell isn't covered with a soft material.

I know this sounds weird, but I always protected my ears throughout my career and now I only have a very small cauliflower ear.  I kind of wish I had a big, nasty ear just so people know I'm a wrestler.  I competed for 14 straight years and coach now, and don't even have bad ears.  

I agree with gowrestle. None of the guys I coached when I was coaching high school or college guys--many of whom came in with ears far worse than I've ever had--never told me that they wouldn't wrestle for me because I didn't have enough cauliflower ear.

People who know you were a wrestler respect you for the work you put in to succeed in the sport and in life, not because you do or do not have a disfigured ear.

I just told my son about this thread and how we're not going to allow that to happen to him. Nearly 30 years into the sport, my ears are in pretty good shape, but even he pointed out the crease and swollen spot on my left ear and the bubble on my right ear and said, "dad, that's gross. I don't want that." Parenting win for today!

In Saint Petersburg Russia have cauliflower ear is a symbol of connections to the Maffia's money collectors. So when you go to a out to eat you many perks first class dinning, no line waiting, free drinks ect.

I am all about no headgear it's a distraction by getting pulled down over the, in unbuttoned, other wrestler using to advantage, and the wrestler is contains constantaly adjusting it. Just wrestler.

Guest Kingsland

http://caulicure.com

This site popped up as an ad on my Facebook acouple minutes ago. First time I've seen something like it, but it looks interesting. (Sorry if I'm not supposed to advertise products, but it seemed relevant to the conversation)

ok so playing devils advocate here as well.

i wrestled at a decently high level in high school and college, was a an all-american or anything close?  nah.  I did however religiously wear my headgear, ears drained, and still have very, very minor CE. 

now, for my explanation.  i work in sales, in the mecca of wrestling Iowa City.  the first benefit FOR ME SPECIFICALLY and in my opinion, would be an immediate rapport and respect walking in the door if someone saw it.  we're in iowa city, everyone knows wrestling and what CE is.  second, there wouldn't be questions on the level at which i wrestled.  i can't tell you how many times i've heard "you wrestled there? where's your CE?" then have to explain myself.

just my two cents.  do I think its a turnoff for the general public?  sure.  does it hurt the sport?  probably.  but with BJJ, MMA and other sports rising to prominence I think the immediate zero in to wrestling as a cause is fading.

I agree Witherman.  I think people just have a hard time understanding why other people don't love something they care about very much.  So reasons like uniforms and ears become hypothetical alleged hurdles that stand in the way of the mass appeal they believe is warranted.  I never heard one person mention ears as a reason why they didn't pursue wrestling.  I am not doubting some people do, but I think it is a bit overstated here.   Cutting weight, homophobic rhetoric, and wannabe tough guys fear of being exposed were much more common reasons when I was younger, but perhaps that has changed.  

I always wore my headgear but I still got it because outside of practice and mat time I was still wrestling with teammates in dorm rooms, at parties, and just about anywhere really.  

One good thing about Cauliflower Ear is you know who not to mess with in a bar!  Years ago, me and about 8 buddies were in a packed bar after a football game and I noticed my buddy arguing with a few guys.  He comes up to me and says, "You have my back?"  I look over at the guys he was arguing with and all of them had CE, I replied "not this time...Lol"  Probably save us a beating!!

Hey everyone, I'm glad to announce that this totally exists and hopefully will be part of more school wrestling programs soon. The problem with headgear is compliance. Because unfortunately, if you don't wear them 100% of the time, the one time you don't wear them could cause the ear to fill. Even kids that don't want cauliflower ear hate wearing them. They're hot, they're uncomfortable and they can slide around and actually cause cauliflower ear.

If you want 100% protection without headgear check out EarSplintz. 1794737732_TournamentBannersml.thumb.jpg.b6cd39f9bcf65f50ba32148afbafb7e5.jpg

Mold your ear before its damaged. Wear it only OFF the mat when the ears hurt, which keeps the ears compressed meaning they can't fill with fluid and they never get cauliflower ear. They're like retainers for the ear. You can check them out at www.EarSplintz.com

and here's a video of USA Wrestling's Head Athletic trainer talking about why the national team loves these: 

On 4/22/2016 at 11:23 AM, gowrestle said:

Headgear today is a vastly improved product. We need to get past the dogma that cauliflower ear is a sign of toughness. A recent viideo put out by USA wrestling glorifying "wrestling ears" was a disgrace. I really wonder about the leadership in that group.

Plastic surgery to correct cauliflower ear is expensive and not covered by medical insurance. I have spoken to national champs, All Americans, and regular guys who put time into the sport who have cauliflower ears. Almost all of them regretted not wearing headgear all the time.

I wrestled in HS from 1964 to 1968 and see no substantial improvement from the headgear I wore then. What the NCAA should do is hire an industrial designer and start from scratch. There are many ways one could design a device to protect the ears and not come off. Sometimes a creative design from scratch is the best way.

3 hours ago, kgschalhoub said:

I wrestled in HS from 1964 to 1968 and see no substantial improvement from the headgear I wore then. What the NCAA should do is hire an industrial designer and start from scratch. There are many ways one could design a device to protect the ears and not come off. Sometimes a creative design from scratch is the best way.

Have you seen the Cliff Keen Fusion or Tornado headgear?  They look better than the standard on the basis that they are easily adjusted to make a perfect fit. I could be wrong because I never used them and they were developed after I retired from coaching. 

On 4/22/2016 at 2:06 PM, Zebra said:

Headgear should be mandated in all age groups, all styles, and all countries; practice and events. 

It's not cool, it,s not tough, it's not OK, it's just plain stupid to let your ears look like large disgusting mushrooms when it is completely preventable. No parents should let their kids wrestle without it on. 

The other thing it is not is anyone else's ears but the individual.  You are that against someone having the freedom of not caring if their ears are in perfect shape.  I think you bring up a bigger issue than ear cartilage condition.

What I stated is an opinion, nothing more.

I don't care what you do when you're 18 nor do I care what other people do to their children (within the topic under discussion) but public schools have a legal and moral responsibility to ensure that whenever reasonable and proper children should be protected while in their care, including sporting events. Parents should be wise enough to do the same. 

If you like giant toadstools on the sides of your head when you turn 18 you can go get them. Maybe you can start another fringe fad being perpetrated to the human body in less than cleanly shops by barely licensed practitioners.  

A big part of it still has to do with what you are starting with. David Taylor and Jake Varner were screwed the second they decided to wrestle. If you got big dumbo ears that stick out, good luck avoiding ruining those, even if you were good about headgear. My dad was the same way  which is probably why momma mandated headgear!

On the other side, I was extremely lucky to have small ears that stay close to my head      

As a result, the only real grind on them were impacts versus the back and forth friction those 2 were nearly always subjected to.