maligned

Mongolia Day 3 (men's freestyle)...draw & discussion

Draws are out...

65:

Could be better/could be worse for Molinaro.  He's in an 8-man quarter and a 16-man half, but he's only got 70kg world bronze Gor from Turkey in round 2 of note blocking his path to the semi's.  If he gets there, he'd most likely have Batirov, the former Russian national teamer now representing Bahrain.    If he loses to Gor, there's a good chance Gor could beat the aging Batirov and Molinaro would still have a chance to chase 3rd in the tournament.  He'll start with a Vietnamese against whom he'll be a heavy favorite.  

86:

As has been said on other threads, this weight is much thinner coming into Mongolia than 65.  However, Cox got about as bad of a draw as he could get with the talent that is at this tournament.  He's on the 16-man side and all of the more challenging potential opponents except maybe 2 are in his half.  He'll be the favorite against Armenia and then a decent Xenidis of Greece in the first two rounds before most likely facing European or Asian medalists Zvirbulis of Latvia or Kim of South Korea in the quarters.  If he gets over that significant hurdle, he'd probably see the Uzbek Ismanov in the semi's.  The one silver lining is that if he gets the traditional international tournament bronze and faces the 3rd vs 3rd wrestle off for true 3rd, he'll face what will likely be a weaker opponent that a couple he would have already seen.

Draws are out...

65:

Could be better/could be worse for Molinaro.  He's in an 8-man quarter and a 16-man half, but he's only got 70kg world bronze Gor from Turkey in round 2 of note blocking his path to the semi's.  If he gets there, he'd most likely have Batirov, the former Russian national teamer now representing Bahrain.    If he loses to Gor, there's a good chance Gor could beat the aging Batirov and Molinaro would still have a chance to chase 3rd in the tournament.  He'll start with a Vietnamese against whom he'll be a heavy favorite.  

86:

As has been said on other threads, this weight is much thinner coming into Mongolia than 65.  However, Cox got about as bad of a draw as he could get with the talent that is at this tournament.  He's on the 16-man side and all of the more challenging potential opponents except maybe 2 are in his half.  He'll be the favorite against Armenia and then a decent Xenidis of Greece in the first two rounds before most likely facing European or Asian medalists Zvirbulis of Latvia or Kim of South Korea in the quarters.  If he gets over that significant hurdle, he'd probably see the Uzbek Ismanov in the semi's.  The one silver lining is that if he gets the traditional international tournament bronze and faces the 3rd vs 3rd wrestle off for true 3rd, he'll face what will likely be a weaker opponent that a couple he would have already seen.

Cox can beat Armenia 50-50, Xenidis is from RNO-Alania (now compete for Greece), big problem thats Cox doesn't has international an experience, in Mongolia wrestler so hard like in Krasnoyarsk....Cox will face with Romanian prospect Gheorghiţă Åžtefan or Armands Zvirbulis. In any case Molinaro and Cox will be difficult to go to the finals =( i think Cox has more chance than Malinaro, Malinaro vs Gor, Mihail Sava, then Batirov (they are very tough guys)

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

the positives for Cox and the Tank is that no one has really ever seen them nor do they know how to prepare for them. Coming out of the trials, these guys are ready to go! Let's do it!

in 2014 no one knows who win WC and Sadualev bam-bam, u think that Cox can bam-bam in Mongolia??? all wrestlers beat 10-0???? :D he never wreslte in fs :D 

no one said 10-0 techs, bam bam.

But do i think J'Den can qualify the weight being a complete unknown? Yes i do.

he wrestle in folskyle, if he trains only in fs and no one know about him, maybe he can make surprise in Mongolia, but he is a typical american folkstyle wrestler, not technique, only double legs, very powerful.... we will see that it :D

he wrestle in folskyle, if he trains only in fs and no one know about him, maybe he can make surprise in Mongolia, but he is a typical american folkstyle wrestler, not technique, only double legs, very powerful.... we will see that it :D

It's obvious from many comments you've made that you've never seen him wrestle. He's athletic like some Americans but he runs much more than double leg takedowns. It's true he doesn't throw but he has more variety than the two take downs Burroughs runs, for example. The only comparison there is that both are fast with long arms and great endurance.

It's obvious from many comments you've made that you've never seen him wrestle. He's athletic like some Americans but he runs much more than double leg takedowns. It's true he doesn't throw but he has more variety than the two take downs Burroughs runs, for example. The only comparison there is that both are fast with long arms and great endurance.

he is technique like of Ed Ruth, nothing more, just USA is so weak in 86 kilos now, not strong competition in this categories =) 

he is technique like of Ed Ruth, nothing more, just USA is so weak in 86 kilos now, not strong competition in this categories =) 

have to disagree on the Ruth comparison. Ruth is a folk style guy for sure who specialized in cradles. 

Cox stays in much better position. 

I'm interested to see how cox performs, I could see it going either way. His style is very different from Ed ruth's - honestly I'm not sure if I can compare him to another wrestler, hrs just jden cox. He has unreal strength and flexibility with a long reach. I could see him doing well, but as khuzin said it's very different wrestling in another country than your own.

Sounds like JB.

Hey everyone, what are the US time starts for Mongolia freestyle, would appreciate if someone could let me know. Also, is there a way to know who is up when and on what mat? Is USA wrestling tweeting? I don't see the tournament on track.

I'm not sure why so many people think that J'Den is limited in Freestyle.  He actually may be a stronger freestyle wrestler than folkstyle.

1) Like mentioned before, he has been top 4 on the U.S. ladder since 19 years old.

2) He was an AA multiple times at the cadet and junior level in Fargo.

3) He was a national champ in fargo, including beating Snyder for the national title.

4) As a cadet and junior, he was coached by two of top freestyle and greco coaches at the cadet and junior level in the country.  Those are the same cadet/junior coaches that were part of the training for Spencer Mango, Ryan Mango, Bryan Grahm, and Jake Fisher.  All members who have/are wrestling on the US Greco team, at the senior level.  They are also the same guys who were were a large part of the training for Alan Waters, Cody Brewer,  and Dom Bradley.  In fact J'Den and Dom were coached and mentored by the same person since youth. Both of the guys who he trained with have also been coaches on the cadet and junior world teams in the past, and have a good amount of coaching experience internationally.  That was just pre-college.  Since then, J'Den has also been trained by Sammy Henson, Joe Johnston, and Nick Marable.  So it isn't like he is dipping his toe into freestyle for the first time.  He has limited "senior level" experience, but he is just now hitting that age bracket.  He is not new to freestyle.  He has been extremely successful.  

5) I can't say with 100% certainty, but I am fairly certain he has international experience.  Just maybe not at the world championship level, and not at the senior level (he is just hitting that age).  However, the US has had many guys with international success with A LOT less experience then what J'Den has.  In fact, next to David Taylor, he probably has more freestyle experience than ANY wrestler in that 86kg bracket at this point in time of his career than anyone of the others had at the same point in time. 

6) This notion that is size, speed, and strength is the only reason he was able to beat guys like, Hebert, Gavin, and Dake is ludicrous. He has much more freestyle experience and knowledge than what 99% of the people are apparently aware of. 

7) The only person who can probably beat him is Taylor, and that is because it would a stylistic nightmare for J'Den. However, Taylor has to be able to get through Dake, who is a stylistic nightmare for him. 

I don't know if he will place or not, but he certainly is not as green as many seem to think.  He is young, so he is knew to the senior level.  The predictions of his abilities are about what they have seemed to be for most of the other young ones who broke through and nobody thought they would be able to so early on. Even at 97kg, Snyder may be the only one who can beat him.  I would honestly probably pick him over Varner at this point in Varner's career.