maligned

Mongolia Day 3 (men's freestyle)...draw & discussion

Cox got the job done.  Beat every man they put in front of him.  That said, I'd like to see him against some stiffer competition.  Maybe send him to Poland?  The Aliev tournament in Dagestan?  Not saying it is necessary, but I'd like to gauge where he is at better.

he responded in the cox is better than Dake thread.

I'll give the guy props for coming back (although he shouldn't have spouted off in the first place about something he had no clue about)

Edited by KCMO2

Cox got the job done. Beat every man they put in front of him. That said, I'd like to see him against some stiffer competition. Maybe send him to Poland? The Aliev tournament in Dagestan? Not saying it is necessary, but I'd like to gauge where he is at better.

I don't know.

He looked very composed out there. He did well. I think the extra bit of experience does bout outweigh the risk of him being scouted.

I don't know.

He looked very composed out there. He did well. I think the extra bit of experience does bout outweigh the risk of him being scouted.

I agree, he looked more solid yesterday than he did at the OTT, in my opinion. With a good draw he might be in a medal match in Rio

Easy Katie. I think Cox is terrific and is about as big a US potential as anyone who hasn't yet medaled. That doesn't change the fact that Cox's competition was the second rung on the world ladder. It's actually good for him to get out there and win behind enemy lines, wrestling guys who have been to the worlds and who have won at the worlds and who were highly motivated to win. But even so to my mind his competiton was roughly the same level - translated to college - as a tournament where the top guys won a few matches at the NCAAs but never AA'd.

I didnt see his semis or finals matches but I liked what I saw in the earlier rounds looked great. There's no question that of anyone on the US team he will improve the most between now and Rio. He's the only one who didn't wrestle any senior freestyle ever before and hasn't wrestled freestyle much at all lately. And yeah when he can focus on wrestling and not classes and only on freestyle and can start training with the team and the likes of Snyder well, what's we see in Rio will likely be a significantly better and more likely to medal version that whatever version of J'Den Cox we saw last night. And last night's version was quite good too.

Ivanov goes down 12-1 in the finals at 74.  But still is going to Rio anyway.  Kind of funny how both he and Boris wrestled in college here. 

Ivanov looked really passive against Soner demirtas. Demirtas looked dominant. China has started to emerge. Deng beat Ligeti at 125 kilo final. Maybe due to Ligeti injury? Which countries will participate in Istanbul WQT 2?

he wrestle in folskyle, if he trains only in fs and no one know about him, maybe he can make surprise in Mongolia, but he is a typical american folkstyle wrestler, not technique, only double legs, very powerful.... we will see that it :D

Wrong.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Cox just went through the full grind of a long D1 season. Ends up winning a D1 title. Then decides on the fly to think about freestyle. Trains less than two weeks before OTTs. Wins that over our best full-time 86kgers. 

Then while he's still taking classes flies out to Mongolia and qualifies the weight -- something none of our guys had done yet. 

I think he's a fantastic rep for us at Rio. 

If you missed Cox's matches last night, his ref against Uzbekistan was horrible. Cox had all the offense, yet he put Cox on the shot clock twice. And those were the only two points the Uzbek got. Even so, Cox stayed calm throughout the match despite the score being close most of the way. He didn't put it away until the end. That's what I like to see. A guy with all the physical, technical, AND mental tools.

While I'm extremely happy on how Cox performed yesterday lets not get carried away here. You act as if he only trained for 2 weeks. And before that was sitting on his couch eating potato chips and drinking beer and one day out of no where decided he would try to make a run for the olympic team. The guy was training all year just as much and just as hard as anyone else. Some people see the fact that he was training in folkstyle and competing his NCAA schedule as a drawback or weakness for him. I see it as a strong positive/advantage over the full time freestyler. The kid was keeping busy and going all out non-stop, wrestling real matches every week and staying focused, constantly working towards AND achieving a goal one step at a time. IMO J'den Cox had more momentum going than anyone else at 86k in the US. I will admit at NCAA's i was rooting for McIntosh against him because I'm a big PSU fan, BUT when it comes to the international circuit I'm all about Team USA! Go J'Den Cox!!!

I didn't know Cox before US trial, but really impressed by his act there, and was somehow sure he would take Rio ticket. Now he is really a potential that can also threaten sadulaev & Karimi in Olympic. Also shouldn't forget Noormagomed Ghdziev (Aze) and Yasar (Tur)in his way to take medal in Rio.

Edited by goldlover

While I'm extremely happy on how Cox performed yesterday lets not get carried away here. You act as if he only trained for 2 weeks. And before that was sitting on his couch eating potato chips and drinking beer and one day out of no where decided he would try to make a run for the olympic team. The guy was training all year just as much and just as hard as anyone else. Some people see the fact that he was training in folkstyle and competing his NCAA schedule as a drawback or weakness for him. I see it as a strong positive/advantage over the full time freestyler. The kid was keeping busy and going all out non-stop, wrestling real matches every week and staying focused, constantly working towards AND achieving a goal one step at a time. IMO J'den Cox had more momentum going than anyone else at 86k in the US. I will admit at NCAA's i was rooting for McIntosh against him because I'm a big PSU fan, BUT when it comes to the international circuit I'm all about Team USA! Go J'Den Cox!!!

I'm not acting "as if he only trained for 2 weeks." I just said he went through a full D1 season. I'm not sure how much more clearly I can communicate that he went through a full D1 season. 

Also, if you think going through a full D1 season and focusing solely on folkstyle during that time is a "strong positive/advantage over the full time freestyler" that's up to you. But Kyle Snyder completely disagrees.

Just because your guy didn't make the team doesn't mean Cox had an advantage over him.  

Edited by Katie

I think the biggest thing is being missed here--athleticism.  If you were to show anyone a picture of Snyder as a 19 year old world champ, and asked them to guess his age, most people would say mid to upper 20's.  Physically mature and developed way beyond his years.  His movement, scrambling ability, shot selection are great for his size.  Look at Cox and Burroughs.  Freakish athletes.  Almost the same, just different sizes.  Long arms, quickness... we could go on and on.  Back in the early days of college would you ever think Burroughs would be this much better than Metcalf?  Metcalf couldn't progress pasty a certain level physically,  Burroughs may not have a ceiling.  It will be interesting to see Cox as he progresses.  Not many big guys move like Cox.  When the Polish wrestler had the pick and Cox used his flexibility and agility to maneuver out  of the take down (albeit he did give up the push out), that was amazing, even more so for a guy his size.  Add in their mental game.  Add in the fact they have been on the mat a ton. And yes, they may have been even better internationally if they had wrestled freestyle their entire life instead off months of folkstyle each year.  It is a lot like playing fast pitch and slow pitch.  The point is, these three wrestlers are more then just great wrestlers, they have many things we all wish we had.  That is why that have risen to the top. 

Behind them all the way and the rest of the Olympic team members. 

The competition in Mongolia may have been second tier, but J'den basically walked through the tournament. Sure it would have been great if he teched everyone, but that's not really his style of wrestling. He likes to control the pace of the match rather than going all out trying to score non-stop (Burroughs does the same thing). He had a close match with Poland, but he was in total control the whole match and was never really in danger of losing. Considering it was also his first time out of the country, let alone competing internationally, he was very poised. He was not intimidated by the situation or the competition and he was not affected by the travel or crappy officiating.

Edited by Crotalus

Well J'den had his first overseas tourney and did very well. I was impressed with his pace, his athleticism and strategy. Some may say that the competition wasn't at the pinnacle of 86 Kg. But you can't really worry about that, you just have to beat the guy they put in front of you and that's exactly what he did. So congrats to him. Anyway we only qualified three wrestlers this weekend, so the competition couldn't have been all that bad.

What impresses me is that during his NCAA season he won against his toughest competition mostly by getting a takedown and being a hammer on top. Guys...top guys...just couldn't get away. It wore them down. Then he goes to the Oly trials and can't follow this strategy but still wins. Next he goes to Mongolia and wins to qualify the USA for the Olympics and all some of the lousy never were's can come up with is that the competition wasn't good and that any of the Americans could have done the same. Losers!

I'm not acting "as if he only trained for 2 weeks." I just said he went through a full D1 season. I'm not sure how much more clearly I can communicate that he went through a full D1 season. 

Also, if you think going through a full D1 season and focusing solely on folkstyle during that time is a "strong positive/advantage over the full time freestyler" that's up to you. But Kyle Snyder completely disagrees.

Just because your guy didn't make the team doesn't mean Cox had an advantage over him.  

Didn't I just say that I was rooting for Cox? I no way shape or form was I acting salty or sour that "my guy" didn't make the team. In other posts I said I was a David Taylor fan but I honestly didn't think he was going to make the team. I always root for him even when hes going against Burroughs or anyone else for that matter. Personally I thought Dake was going to win the trials. I think Dake has a mental edge over Taylor that he just cant seem to crack. With that said I am rooting for Cox 100% I just really took exception to your statement that the guy "only trained for 2 weeks" in freestyle. My point was that while he wasn't training for the exact intricacies for freestyle there's there's a lot that carries over and he has been training full time. Think about it for a moment here. Cox has been WINNING at everything hes been doing. The guy has TONS of momentum going and I personally feel that that's helping him out a lot!