maligned

Mongolia Day 3 (men's freestyle)...draw & discussion

Drives me crazy when wrestler is losing on points, have a full minute to get offense going, and doesn't .... waits for time to go by before doing anything.  Can't let those seconds go.  Have to anticipate that your first attack may not work.    Happened with Molinaro.  

Now, that said, that TD awarded against him was sketchy.  I can kinda see it but it was fleeting.  I thought his hand or Turkey's hand was OOB before that anyway.  Would that be a push out if hand goes OOB before TD?  Or is wrestling allowed to continue through to the TD?  

Freestyle can drive you crazy. Too much interpretation of the rules. 

Which is exactly why I cant see it becoming the main form of wrestling in the US. Way too much is put into the hands of the ref. Can you imagine HS matches in freestyle with this much interpretation in the hands of the refs?

I think it was awarded 2 points because he went from feet to mat without exposure.  I think the key is that "control" isn't as important as technique in freestyle.  

Also, Molinaro didn't get a pushout at the end because they went out of bounds with both wrestlers on the mat.  

Either way, he got outwrestled.  A big problem is that the international refs usually hate the "brawling" style that we see guys like Molinaro have.  That's why he got put on the clock in the beginning..Lots of activity/brawling, but little actual technique.  

I thought I noticed him grabbing singlet- might have come up during review since ref on other side. I also noticed the ref signaling 2 to Frank. Didn't really understand why. It looked like ref was telling him 2 cautions. This might be why. Then point for losing challenge.

I agree that Molinaro got outwrestled and I think that the takedown call was crap. The thing is, Gor kept advancing, advancing, advancing on Molinaro and Molinaro was backing up all the way to the edge and then circling. He didn't advance much at all until the last thirty seconds. He made it possible for a crap call to cost him the match.

I still don't understand why he was put on the clock. Gor didn't take a shot for the duration of the match.

Molinaro hadn't either prior to the shotclock.  Gor was initiating the tie ups/moving in, but every time molinaro would brawl his way out of it.  In folkstyle, that looks like action, but in freestyle they view it as stalling.  It's a big problem with our current system...Folkstyle thinks that as long as you are pushing the other guy around, you are the one causing action, even if you aren't initiating any technique.  That's why we create wrestlers like Molinaro, Howe, Metcalf, etc.. Guys who are great at "imposing their will," but lack an ability to wrestle through positions and varying techniques.  It's a style that just doesn't work anymore internationally.  

I agree with the first shot clock on Frank.  He was moving a lot but the Turk was trying to get some grips and control, Frank kept backing out of it.  Turk kept advancing, Frank kept circling out.  He really didn't do much there.  Fair call.  

I think it was awarded 2 points because he went from feet to mat without exposure.  I think the key is that "control" isn't as important as technique in freestyle.  

Also, Molinaro didn't get a pushout at the end because they went out of bounds with both wrestlers on the mat.  

Either way, he got outwrestled.  A big problem is that the international refs usually hate the "brawling" style that we see guys like Molinaro have.  That's why he got put on the clock in the beginning..Lots of activity/brawling, but little actual technique.  

BS.

He got hosed.  Gor never took a shot, it was bs that they put Frank on the clock, then the "push out" was bs, and then the "takedown"on top of THAT was bs.  Also, Frank had a push out just before his final take down that the ref ALSO didn't award.

He got robbed, straight up.