• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 newyorkwrestler

newyorkwrestler

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:12 PM

was really hoping he would pull off the upset, huge fan of his. Mighty mouse had made some fisrespectful comments regarding cejudos wrestling accomplishments prior to the fight and i was hoping henry could shut him up. Henry needs to figure out striking defense. 

• WreslingSuperior likes this

#2 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Just another example of why going MMA is rarely the best decision for our top freestylers.  Chances of winning a UFC Title:  Low.  Chances of brain injury:  High. 

#3 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:20 PM

i did watch that, why Cejudo go to clinch? he can double leg, fight on the floor! he chose not good fight plan =( 

• Coach_J and GoNotQuietly like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#4 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

Just another example of why going MMA is rarely the best decision for our top freestylers. Chances of winning a UFC Title: Low. Chances of brain injury: High.

I disagree.
Johnson is the best mma fighter p4p. Cejudo inexperience is the main reason. He needs a top team like aka or Jackson's...

#5 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

i did watch that, why Cejudo go to clinch? he can double leg, fight on the floor! he chose not good fight plan =(

His training camp at Evolve with a lot of MT world champions is the cause. In my opinion.
Another aspect is the ground game.

Edited by WreslingSuperior, 23 April 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#6 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

Can't fight on the floor because Cejudo was never going to be able to hold him down. Guys Cejudo is not even close to DJ as a fighter right now. The only chance when the skill is so wide like here is a fluke knockout but Cejudo is not one of those wrestlers like Romero or Hendricks who goes to MMA and has big power. There was really no way he was going to win this fight since he doesn't have good power and skill wise he wasn't as good. Maybe in 2-3 years. I did say he should have tried for Rio to delay this fight. 

• Axe_Spartan likes this

#7 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Can't fight on the floor because Cejudo was never going to be able to hold him down. Guys Cejudo is not even close to DJ as a fighter right now. The only chance when the skill is so wide like here is a fluke knockout but Cejudo is not one of those wrestlers like Romero or Hendricks who goes to MMA and has big power. There was really no way he was going to win this fight since he doesn't have good power and skill wise he wasn't as good. Maybe in 2-3 years. I did say he should have tried for Rio to delay this fight.

He refused to hold down DJ because he hasn't submission defense. After a takedown he clearly refuse to fight on the mat. Romero was in Jakare guard without problems. This is a big difference. But Romero has a lot of top submission grapplers in his camps.
Cejudo needs a team like ATT, Jackson or AKA.

Edited by WreslingSuperior, 23 April 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#8 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:47 PM

That is true and also the problem that this is the hardest division to hold guys down. These guys don't weigh anything, so you need to be very skilled to actually hold a top guy down and also do damage. It's not like HW where a less skilled fighter can use his size to keep it on the ground . Only guy I can remember Cejudo holding down is Cariaso, his style was never ground heavy in MMA. Mostly standup and clinch with some takedowns mixed in.
  • WreslingSuperior likes this

#9 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

From the post fight conference :

" I took him down. I could've held him down a little longer, but I was still trying to catch my breath. It was that one knee that really did it"

#10 ironmonkey

ironmonkey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

Just another example of why going MMA is rarely the best decision for our top freestylers.  Chances of winning a UFC Title:  Low.  Chances of brain injury:  High. 

This seems pretty biased.  An athlete could look at the olympics and say, chance of winning gold: low.  Chance of bodily injury: high.  How many former wrestlers have knee, back, shoulder, elbow, and neck injuries that cause them pain for the remainder of their lives post competition?  I don't mean to say that any of those are worse than brain injuries; they aren't.  I also am not saying MMA is as safe as wrestling.  The point is one could get hurt in wrestling and the chances of winning a world title are far worse than MMA since more athletes compete in wrestling worldwide.  

#11 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:04 AM

This seems pretty biased.  An athlete could look at the olympics and say, chance of winning gold: low.  Chance of bodily injury: high.  How many former wrestlers have knee, back, shoulder, elbow, and neck injuries that cause them pain for the remainder of their lives post competition?  I don't mean to say that any of those are worse than brain injuries; they aren't.  I also am not saying MMA is as safe as wrestling.  The point is one could get hurt in wrestling and the chances of winning a world title are far worse than MMA since more athletes compete in wrestling worldwide.  

I agree that the chance of winning olympic gold for an american wrestler is much lower than the chance of a UFC title. However, I don't think we see the type of brain injuries in wrestling that are common in boxing and MMA. There is a huge difference between a bad hip/knee and having CTE.

My point is that people always talk about how wrestlers make great UFC fighters and that more of the top wrestlers should do it (we see agents influencing young wrestlers like Pico and recruiting people out of college).  For every Weidman/Hendricks/Cormier, there are many more who won't make it, but will be left with life long brain trauma.  It will be interesting to see whether Cejudo keeps fighting and risks his health, or if he hangs them up and goes onto something else.  

I kind of think that Askren has the right idea: MMA is essentially a freak show (look at the success of clowns like Diaz and McGregor as examples), so he gives plays the role of the heel and beats up a bunch of bums for the easy check and avoid taking any damage in his fights.  

Edited by Billyhoyle, 24 April 2016 - 09:05 AM.

#12 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

It's obviously very disappointing to see an Olympic Gold medalist, who from insiders, is getting his education, and is doing very well financially, in business, would sign up for fist fighting, in a cage.    It's just mind boggling.   If he was broke, if he was dumb, if he didn't have an Olympic Gold , or his business opportunities, I'd clearly understand.   But for a guy like Cejudo to lower himself into the barbaric sport of cage fighting, just makes one scratch their head.   

#13 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Pico is a different beast. He has also Pankration background so he has ground game and striking in his arsenal.

Cejudo hasn't a big mma experience and he is the number 2 in the world.
In my opinion this guy needs a top camp and a top level coaching.
His style is similar to Nurmagomedov and Askren. Top freestyle wrestling, good clinch but the lack of ko power. So...the Russian has a world class Grappling. Cejudo is too confident in his striking and this is the main problem. He is a world class wrestler but contrary to Romero or Cormier the ko power there isn't...
  • ShannonSofield likes this

#14 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:49 PM

It's obviously very disappointing to see an Olympic Gold medalist, who from insiders, is getting his education, and is doing very well financially, in business, would sign up for fist fighting, in a cage.    It's just mind boggling.   If he was broke, if he was dumb, if he didn't have an Olympic Gold , or his business opportunities, I'd clearly understand.   But for a guy like Cejudo to lower himself into the barbaric sport of cage fighting, just makes one scratch their head.   

He wanted to compete and use his skills.  People forget that Cejudo boxed for several years too and I believe was undefeated as an amateur.  Like most sports there's a limited window where you can be at the top of your game physically.  Cejudo decided to do it while he could and not wonder about what if or what could have been.  I would bet Cejudo comes back to challenge again and wins the next go around. 

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#15 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:17 AM

He wanted to compete and use his skills.  People forget that Cejudo boxed for several years too and I believe was undefeated as an amateur.  Like most sports there's a limited window where you can be at the top of your game physically.  Cejudo decided to do it while he could and not wonder about what if or what could have been.  I would bet Cejudo comes back to challenge again and wins the next go around. 

Yeah I'm aware he wanted to do it.   Disappointed in both him and Pico.  But yeah, I know neither was forced into it, against their will.  

#16 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

Yeah I'm aware he wanted to do it.   Disappointed in both him and Pico.  But yeah, I know neither was forced into it, against their will.  

Mexicans wrestlers in MMA are nit good amigo! not good :D 

• Cletus_Tucker and CaliWrestler like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#17 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:35 AM

So what's the alternative for Cejudo?  He already won the biggest tournament there is to win in wrestling.  He has made a lot of money from endorsements and other things, he graduated from college, what else is he supposed to do?  He's a competitor.  He's only got a limited amount of time, it's not like he could walk back out and compete again in 15 years.  Why are you disappointed?  Because he's not wrestling anymore?  He's doing what he wants to do with the skills he has. 

I know you have a strong bias against MMA because you've said it's a breeding ground for gay behavior, or some such other bull****.  People like you are what's wrong with wrestling. 

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#18 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:36 AM

Mexicans wrestlers in MMA are nit good amigo! not good :D 

Cain Velasquez was obviously the worst UFC fighter ever.  I mean what has he ever accomplished?  I'm surprised the UFC hasn't cut him from the roster already. 

#19 LJB

LJB

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:42 AM

piggie is just trying to get a rise out of you people... don't fall for the internet parlor tricks...

anyway, cejudo said in the post fight presser he thought he would control the clinches so that is where he wanted to fight... MM just showed him he was mistaken with those knees... it was a mistake, but, MM is the best fighter in the UFC... he will make you pay...

• ironmonkey likes this

#20 WreslingSuperior

WreslingSuperior

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

The Cejudo's way to win is called wrestling + grappling. He has also boxing experience but without ko power striking isn't the best weapon.
I'm surprise about his coaching staff. He needs the best in the business with top sparring partners.
He spent a lot of time at Evolve with multi time muay thai world champions...this is the mistake.

Edited by WreslingSuperior, 25 April 2016 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users